Dispelling Blows Inconsistency

Discussion in 'Bug Reporting' started by ormen, Aug 25, 2016.

1. ormen

ormen The King of Potatoes

My Draksar Flashblade attack the enemy Rugolth's Revenge and killed himself, Rugolth had Righteuous Deflection on himself. Then Draksar High Marshal attacked from a range of 2. The damage was both reflected and taken by Rugolth. Meaning my High Marshal took damage and the Rugolth took damage from the attack. I think that you should make up your mind and make it dispel before the attack as if a magical aura around the blade touches the enemy first shattering all magical buffs :)

thanks

2. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

That would also nerf abilities such as deflect, divert, block and dodge, which are all meant to counter-act against abilities applied on attacks.

3. ormen

do it

4. Capitulator

Capitulator I need me some PIE!

This part must be a bug. Rugolth shouldn't have taken damage until a second attack.

Otherwise, the checks go (attack hits) -> (attack damages) -> (attack successful)
    On the "attack hits" check you have dodge, blinded etc.
    On "attack damages" you have divert, pawn, righteous deflection etc.
    On "attack damages" any attack that hit fires effects like dispelling blows, feint etc.

So nothing should have been dispelled until the High Marshal had taken the damage from his own attack.

5. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I would expect dispelling blows to dispel before damage is dealt. It specifically states if the attack is successful. Attacks are determined as successful or failed before damage is dealt. If it specified when an attack successfully deals damage, such as Rend, then it would damage and dispel the High Marshal.

4NIK8 and ormen like this.
  6. Capitulator

Capitulator I need me some PIE!

Success or failure is determined first (only "miss" is failure) but none of those conditions will fire until it does the failed/succeeded/successfully damaged check right at the end, after damage is dealt.

7. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

The attack succeeded but RD redirects the attack to the attacker so the attacker would have been dispelled.

8. ormen

I like the piercing aura idea that surrounds the blade, nullifying any buffs

9. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

Updating this: Shrive works the same way apparently. I played two games with a shrive unit today:

The first game I atttempted to shrive a buffer from spirits within on a unit that had oblivion shield. Oblivion shield procced and nothing was dispelled.

The second game I attempted to shrive a unit with righteous deflection. The damage was redirected to me and nothing was dispelled.

I consider this to be a bug since shrive clearly states "successful attack" which should be independent from damage dealt. Both righteous deflection and oblivion shield state that they redirect/negate damage rather than the attack itself. I am also pretty sure that this ability once worked as I expected it to on RD at least.

10. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Oblivion Shield is a failed attack. RD was successful but against the attacking champion not the initial target so you would have dispelled yourself.

11. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Oblivion Shield Damage from the first successful attack made against this champion each turn is prevented.
    It even says right in the ability description that the attack is successful. It's the same as the Shield of Darkness and Granite Bracers back in the day. Granite Bracers would trigger Riposte because the attack missed, Shield of Darkness would trigger Enrage because the attack was successful.

12. ormen

clunky all around

13. MrBadguy

MrBadguy Guest

Shrive seems to check for damage. I saw it fail on a One With Nora immunity and Bubble of Protection in the same game. My Tormented Priest had 13 dmg so it might have been rounded to 6 and with the 50% attack, then gone through the Tough 3 DEF 3 Fishkisser for 0. Either that or buffer just made it not count as a successful attack against the unit but the buffer instead, assuming that's even a thing.