PoxNora_Live new player special

Discussion in 'Training Grounds and Game Guides' started by MentalMoles, Mar 29, 2014.

1. MentalMoles

MentalMoles I need me some PIE!

Hi, I am going to turn this into a thread that I believe should help the community and all new players in the long term, often people don't like reading lots of text and prefer to watch something more visual, so thats where i'm aiming to go.

I'm going to be hosting a new player special on stream and for Youtube to be immortalized in this thread, but I wanted people to contribute what they think could be good things to include in this guide so I don't miss anything. I'm already planning to link people to KTCAOP's threads and GabrielQ's guides.

Please post if you have something you'd like me to cover, or anything you think is important not to miss in the broadcast!

Off the top of my head, things I am already going to include

- Starting out (a bit like a tutorial on how to do the basics to play a pox game and what things mean in game)
    - using a starter deck (their limitations and how to move on past the starter deck)
    - Explaining the forge and gold system
    - explaining the core runes from each faction (I believe somebody already has a helpful thread on this)
    - Trading including linking to sites such as poxbox to assist with trading
    - Explaining the faction bonuses and explaining split factions and their limitations
    - putting together their first proper deck (how to build a successful deck)
    - basic tactics to win a pox game (balance between range and melee and nora efficiency)
    - trying to give an idea to new players of how to transition from new player to good player
    - speaking with a fairly new player bolthero11

I may also include a list of decks I've designed with no exotics for new players to try out.

Please suggest anything you think i've missed and feel free to give me feedback and critique

2. MentalMoles

reserved

3. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

It seems to be really extensive, good job.
    I think you should explain CP system aswell.
    And I think you could talk a bit about basic synergies and counter deploying, like why it's better to buff the damage of a long range rune rather than a melee one, or how to identify and react to enemy's champions, I guess this enters in transition to good player.
    Also, try to encourage people to play even when they lose, I've heard a lot of testimonies of people avoiding PvP because they are afraid of losing

4. LoganMkv

LoganMkv I need me some PIE!

I believe it would be better if you made an introductionary video first.
    When you try to explain to someone what the hell pox is, there's absolutely nothing to show.
    The video has to be very dynamic (viewer attention span is really short here), therefore the text should be written beforehand, speech should be very fast, and visuals should be montaged to be as dynamic and eye-catching as possible.
    The video should feature basic review, comparsion to all games viewer may know and business model explanation.

5. sunandshadow

sunandshadow New Member

I'm particularly interested in the trading section. My suggested addition would be "The recent change in management - what's the difference between the old managers' style and the new, what changes should be expected soon". An orientation to the game's history and community/politics.

@LoganMkv PoxNora can be explained really efficiently as an online CCG where each "card" becomes a miniature placed on a tactical combat board. If you have to explain either CCGs or tactical combat to someone that's hopeless, they're not going to be able to start with a game like this that doesn't explain itself well.

6. MentalMoles

Thanks for the tips so far, taking them all in, keep em coming

7. MentalMoles

Haven't forgotten about this. Going to wait till after the revamp hits though, as it seems silly making something to immortalize thats going to be outdated so soon.

8. ptjimbo

ptjimbo I need me some PIE!

Being a newish player myself, have not played much outside of the occasional single player match, am all for this. Been watching the videos on youtube a lot, sorta picking up on things. But it would be great to get some help, even a small nudge in the right direction.

9. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

Why don't you tell us what things you would like to know about? or what things did or do you feel confusing about the game? Your input will make the new player video better

10. MentalMoles

yeah totally, by the way, have you tried re-doing the new tutorial? its actually MUCH improved and teaches you ALOT about the basics of the game

11. Rockhopper

Rockhopper Well-Known Member

This is probably how you were planning on recording these, but I'd have each video be a stand alone topic. A beastly, inclusive video can be hard to navigate.

12. ptjimbo

ptjimbo I need me some PIE!

I have redone the tutorial, which really has been improved since the last one. It is good for basics, but the more advanced things would have to be learned on your own or taught and practiced obviously. The main issues I would see most beginners having would be the tactics involved in positioning, engaging, and disengaging. Then site-wise the issues would be making a balanced bg, the rune forge system, and not getting ripped off in trades. I wanna say your list covers pretty much everything, that I can think of at least but I am fairly certain that there is something more and I just can't think of it. But I will gladly help try and find things that could be added to the list.

13. MentalMoles

Ya, I am imagining having one broadcast which each section highlighted into seperate sections, so you can either watch it all, or just the section you want to know about.