Patch Preview: Pounce/Swoop/Massive Leap consolidation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sokolov, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Gnomes

Gnomes Forum Royalty

As a spider enthusiest i would like to point out arthropod frenzy the spell. I would often win my games with spiders when my enemy would possition badly and i could pounce with 3 spiderlings or other champs into a good nook and then have them walk out for another spider to pounce in. Will this spell be buffed/ changed? A 5 range swoop on all my little spiderlings would be craygasm.

Fentum, Anima26, SPiEkY and 1 other person like this.
  2. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

Yeah, it would be one thing if they just gained Swoop. It is another thing when they all have Multiattack and then gain Swoop. It would be all too easy to Swoop and then attack again, en masse.

3. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

At the very least it'll need to be updated to the new Pounce (currently it gives Rank 3 Pounce).

4. kagebunshn

kagebunshn I need me some PIE!

Poor Garu. You guys have been hating on garu so hard lately.

5. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

I know right? It's almost like Sokolov is racist or something.

SPiEkY likes this.
  6. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

He can't be racist, he's asian. o_O

7. Sokolov

It looks like that Pounce will likely make the unit's own basic attack, and therefore count as a basic attack, applying on hits and interacting with anything that relates to basic attacks.

8. ChiaoLung

ChiaoLung I need me some PIE!

Why the decision to change this?

9. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

Ease of implementation code-wise would be my guess.

10. ChiaoLung

ChiaoLung I need me some PIE!

That's my guess as well. I'll be a little disappointed if that's the case. Swoop and Pounce both being turned into basic attacks (since they're being consolidated) isn't something I'm in favor of. I was just hoping there was a balance reason behind the decision.

11. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

This

12. Sokolov

It's not set in stone or anything. The primary thing about this is what it means to be a basic attack vs an attack. Right now, it's not a basic attack but it is an attack, and just deals DMG. This distinction has always been tenuous and confusing - which is what leads to everyone asking for every damage ability "is it an attack?" If not, why not? What does it mean to be an attack? Whereas basic attack is a clear line - and triggers very specific things.

In a case like this, on the technical end, what's happening is basically a hack. We have to ask ourselves, if Pounce makes a non-basic attack, what is it doing exactly? What is the damage type? Manic (which is a non-basic attack) basically creates a non-basic attack ability on the fly and activates that ability. Sentinel, on the other hand, simply activates the unit's own basic attack.

Personally, I would prefer it to be non-basic as well as I typically feel that basic attacks should be very "basic," but I just wanted to give people a heads up in case it ends up being a problem and we do have to go the basic route.

Also keep in mind it is the other ability (Leap Slam/Seismic Leap) that is intended to keep the indirect damage nature of Pounce.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
    ChiaoLung likes this.
  13. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

My feeling is that an ability that uses the champ's damage stat and type, such as Pummel and Barrage, should be basic attacks. Abilities that modify the damage stat such as Power Attack or type such as Throw Axe should be attacks, but not basic.

14. Sokolov

Right, and that's more or less how I feel about it too. If it's literally just doing what it normally does, sure, basic. But if it has other components, is it really basic anymore?

On the other hand, I think some could reasonable argue something like a Pounce ability is just relocate + free basic attack, so it's a bit ambiguous in this case.

15. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Were it not replacing an existing ability, I'd say yes, I would design the ability as "This champion is relocated to the closest non-damaging space to target enemy unit within 5 spaces. If the relocation is successful, then it makes a basic attack against that target enemy."

Since it is replacing an existing ability, I would keep it as a nonbasic attack as many players may rely on the ability being nonbasic.

16. Pedeguerra

@Sokolov since we are talking about "weird abilities that dont make sense to new players", what are your feelings towards Combat Awareness champions? Are they WAI atm?
    I'm asking because, according to the description, the only thing that should deal damage to champions with those abilities should be basic attacks, correct?
    Just looking for some light on the subject.

17. Sokolov

There are some bugs with CA, I am sure, but it generally is WAI.

I am not sure why you'd think it's basics only, the ability's description doesn't reference basics at all, rather, what it prevents is abilities that don't specifically target a unit. So stuff like Stun will still work because it is a single target ability.

18. Pedeguerra

Yeah, right. Sorry. It's been a while.
    Just for reference, though: cones/bombs, auras and spells shouldnt deal damage, correct?

19. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

Cones, Bombs and Auras - nope, damage reduced/prevented (rank 1/2).
    AoE spells - nope, damage reduced/prevented (rank 1/2). Single Target ones that target the CA champ in particular - damage will be dealt.

In Grimlic's Bane's case - only the champ you cast it on should (and IIRC will as it's WAI) take damage.

20. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

There are a few cases that don't work intuitively: iirc retribution and hive can both damage CA champs. There are probably some other non-terrain interactions that get through and it could probably use a consistency pass.

Pedeguerra and Etherielin like this.