Exiled Ranger

Discussion in 'Rune Ideas and Suggestions' started by NevrGonaGivUup, Oct 18, 2016.

1. NevrGonaGivUup

NevrGonaGivUup I need me some PIE!

Exiled Ranger

Description:
    A former K'thir ranger who was captured by the nefari and subsequently banished into the depths of sheoul, which is considered by the nefari to be a fate worse than death. He survives using wards that conceal his presence and weaken those who approach. These protective wards look like runic symbols and are marked on the surrounding rocks with magic (or blood, if you want to be more hardcore).

Art: A very bedraggled elf with a tattered ranger cloak, huddled with wards on the ground around him. Could share an art with some kind of big scary demon thing that doesn't notice him.

Flavor Text: As a cruel punishment, captured elf rangers are exiled to the depths of sheoul. Those few who survivor do so with a potent deceptive magic and a taste for grundelwulf meat.

Race: Elf
    Faction: UD
    Rarity: Uncommon
    Class: Ranger
    Size: Small

10 damage, 1-2 range, 0 def, 38 hp
    Attack:magical(2),
    repulsion(8), still life(4), solo:knockout(8)
    Base ability cost: 22
    U1:
    pariah(-5)
    liability(-4)
    easy target(-10)

U2:
    combat awareness 2(10)
    ambush(10)
    shrinking gaze(14)

Min upgrades cost: 0
    max upgrades cost: 10

Total cost probably somewhere around 70

-Acts as a stealthed anti-melee support rune in UD, which has very few support runes.
    -Having aoe abilities like shrinking gaze, repulsion, and liability attached to a stealth unit leads to some very interesting gameplay. Smart players can use the effects of these abilities to estimate where the exiled ranger is located.
    -Still life makes it much harder to stay stealthed and undetected for extended periods of time.
    -Low HP makes him very vulnerable to ranged units, as all his defensive tools only work against melee opponents.
    -Knockout gives him more things to do while hiding in stealth, and more impact in general.

-U1 is a 'pick your negative ability' line. All three choices alter how you play the rune. Pariah cuts off any spell support, liability makes him more visible to the enemy, and easy target makes him even more vulnerable to range.
    -U2 can take combat awareness to make him harder to destealth, ambush to increase his damage output, and shrinking gaze to hose approaching melees.

Note: The name and flavor text are the weakest parts of this champ idea. The kit would be extremely tricky and fun to play with, while having enough weaknesses to make it interesting to play against as well. I had also considered making it a lone kanen, but 'stealth kanen' is already a pretty crowded role. Open to suggestions on what the flavor of a rune like this should be, as well as alternate names and flavor text.

2. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

My suggestion would be to make him UD/KF to make him usable in an in-development KF Ranger theme. What's his speed going to be?

Suggested names: Survivor of K'thiras, Elven Survivor, Escapee of Sheoul, Scarred Ranger, Remnant of K'thir.
    Flavour Text: "Many elves shared the fate of being imprisoned in Sheoul like Gerron Lighthander. However - unlike him - some of them managed to survive in this hostile realm despite all the odds."

NevrGonaGivUup and Tweek516 like this.
  3. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

My only complaint with this champ isnt really a problem with the champ, rather is with how still life is coded.

Atthe moment, to stay stealthed indefinitely you have to stay put. Id much prefer it if you could move every other turn.

@Sokolov ?

Oh hut yeah kf/ud

4. NevrGonaGivUup

NevrGonaGivUup I need me some PIE!

I like the name Scarred Ranger, and the flavour text is great- I had forgotten about Gerron Lighthander.

I have him as FF UD because I think of him as being trapped down there, like captive lorekeeper and scorched dwarf. I feel like making him split with KF weakens this flavor.

I'd say 7 speed if he's ff UD, 6 speed if he's split.

I picked still life because of its awkwardness. I think of it as pre-nerfing the rune, since stealthed shrinking gaze is such a strong combination.