Same upgrade in both lines...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sokolov, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

+1 for racials

Kampel likes this.
  2. jeeperz2

jeeperz2 I need me some PIE!

First off don't do that to that goblin as it stands fire amp needs him.

Second I am a little confused what would happen if we picked both? Would the nora cost drop and you just being left with the first ability?

Third I would feel like I had more choices if I had more choices.. And more diverse choices in the matter, most of the current upgrades on champions are auto and you would probably only run them with the same two upgrades everybody else has and I feel like that's the real issue. We need more upgrades that fit differently on the champ or just make the champ different on it's own from the way others would run it, in the very least we need to get rid of the auto upgrade on the majority of the champions.

And last but not least some champions don't have upgrades at all COUGH COUGH FIRK COUGH MINDSHREDDER COUGH

3. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

I think the idea is you can't pick both, but it just offers you more flexability.

Xirone likes this.
  4. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Pretty much this.
    The idea is awesome, though, specially for racial abilities. Which, btw, I think you should focus on to start adding this "double upgrades".
    @Xirone your idea, per usual, disregards balance completely and you should really think twice before you suggest these type of things. Jeez.

5. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

The referenced question was asked to see if it was possible to have two of the same activated abilities on a champ, not to advocate for that change. The example I selected, Divert, was to showcase how it would work, in plain language, so that Sok and others would understand the question. Again, I was not suggesting any champ be given x2 Divert (which is different from Deflect, btw). I thought I was clear but now see that some hadn't the capacity to follow along.

Karmavore likes this.
  6. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

The idea is not to select the same ability twice but I think there wouldn't be a way to disallow selecting the same ability twice. Perhaps the only way it would make sense selecting the same ability twice would be if the ability were significantly less expensive than other abilities on the upgrade paths.

Tweek516 likes this.
  7. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

Sure, and that's fine, its just that i feel as though this gives the impression that this is a mistake to anyone who doesn't know.

Unless a system is implemented in which it does lock you out I think im against this.

Xirone likes this.
  8. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

I like the option to have the specific upgrade in two paths, but not the option to choose it twice for an enhanced effect.

E.g. My Goblin Dirtbag build would change with the example quoted.

9. arthur

arthur The King of Potatoes

It is not the thing I like the most. In truth it reduces the amount of combinations for abilities possibe for the rune since looks like you can't potencialize the repeated upgrade. People are saying that this may be good for racial, but IMO if there is an ability that is racial trait in the rune, it should be a permanent ability of the rune, being truly a racial thing, and not an upgrade.

But I think this would be awesome to make some runes specialized in certain roles, like you put in both upgrades amplification, or for abilities that have long cooldowns, so in theory you could use them twice as fast.

10. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

If you take both, you only get one copy and it'll charge you twice for the same ability.

JellyBerry likes this.
  11. jeeperz2

jeeperz2 I need me some PIE!

O.0

Well I guess that would work if that ability was cheaper than the others otherwise no point. Actually even if it was cheaper it would have to be significantly cheaper.

12. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

The idea is that you don't take it twice, so it doesn't really have to "work".

JellyBerry, Qucas and Tweek516 like this.
  13. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

In other news your "sneaky" upgrade choices for Scarlet Wing are comically inept. At first I thought burn 1 and 2 would stack and you'd get burn 3 as a result of both your upgrades.

Instead, no, it completely ignores burn 1, pretends that Sigil (a base ability) is an upgrade ability.

Well, Baskit, just choose one of the other upgrades.

The only other upgrade in that line is worthless Amp Fire which costs more. So if you want burn2 out of the other Upgrades (the best choice), then you're ****ed by the sneaky upgrade master plan.

poinl likes this.
  14. Sokolov

I didn't list any defaults, but yea, the BEST thing to do is not to let you select both at all, but that's a tech change - still, it seems like something I want to avoid doing altogether until that's in simply because it answers these unwritten questions.

Even with that tech side adjustment, I'd also want to avoid doing it for RANKED abilities just because of the appearance that it'd stack.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  15. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

The defaults in his example weren't specified, they were just the three options, the order wasn't actually relevant.

16. Sokolov

Any item in an upgrade group can be the default. The ordering in the database doesn't actually matter.

I add 3 abilities, then select one as the default.

17. Sokolov

I don't know what you are asking.

18. Sokolov

Well, keep in mind the last time we had draft the upgrade system was different and it was was 1/2/3/4 defaulting to 1/2.

Now it's A/B/C and 1/2/3 defaulting based on the database. So it's whatever we set the default to that'll be the default.

19. yobanchi

yobanchi I need me some PIE!

If designed properly then I think the same upgrade on both paths as an option could be viable. For it to make sense I believe the double needs to be either an auto or some sort of theme.

Anima26 likes this.
  20. kagebunshn

kagebunshn I need me some PIE!

I kinda feel like if an ability is important enough that you want it in 2 lines, then why isn't on base in the first place?

makes sense though to have a base ability like reflexes 1, then one upgrade line has reflexes 1(or 2) combining with the base rank.