Do barb paladins suck?

Discussion in 'Ironfist Stronghold' started by Compost, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Compost

Compost I need me some PIE!

So I made a barbarian/paladin theme deck with all the usual stuff you'd expect to find there in such a thing, and my experience has been just dismal.

Yes, I haven't used it very long and don't have a lot of practice, and yea, I probably suck. Most definitely actually. But I spent a lot of time screwing around on poxbox to make this disaster, so if you could help me win I'd appreciate it.

So while I suck, I've played a solid handful of themes now, and paladins just feel weak as Bane Shift. Everything is so expensive for how easy it is to kill. Every melee champ just has like 2 def and 46hp between it and the cd section of the runedock. Despite all being decked out in shiny plate armor, the only actual tanky tank is Bastion the expensive.

Magnus Handholder has got to be the most underwhelming legendary named dude in the game. Truthseekers are neat but 80 nora to get one rounded is just depressing. ranged champs consist of: Super expensve squishy diviner, super squishy expensive priestess, super squishy expensive plainswalker, and probably the weakest of the 8 angels, angel of protection. How is she gonna have only 44 hp? The only thing she is protecting is my terrible w/l ratio. I had to throw in barb gaurdians, who aren't even paladins, because nexus aura and shroud are the only things to add on top of everyones 2 def to give them a fighting chance at life.

I don't see much complaining about the state of paladins, so what am I missing? How am I supposed to play them? Every game it just feels like all my opponents champs have more damage and defense while being 5-10 nora cheaper each. I send some chump like inquisitor into the center font, they send some cheap Bane Shift like sonic elemental to just troll around the font while voltaic slags and lightning kanen blast me from 6 range. If I do try and go in the just deploy ghern sustainer and feshstaller pikachu to out heal the good lords finest.

God I hate SP.

2. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Barb Pallies are second only to Dwarves but have a much higher potential. Dwarves are only stronger because they are more stable and consistent. Barbs on the otherhand have the ability to win games in the early game. When playing barbs a good chunk of my wins are under 10 minutes just by getting a strong early lead and having the opponent surrender.

Barbs also have very strong range units in Plainswalker, Veilwalker and Purger which let them transition into the mid game well. Units like Guardian and Carrier Squire greatly improve your units mobilty and threat range allowing you to strike from safe distances.

3. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

I dont know wtf you're doing wrong to make magnus bad but yeah he aint bad.
    theres actually a ton of efficient Barb/paladins, crusader is a game winning rune some times and can be run as low as 67 though i think his 70 build is best option. 70 nora ironfist inquisitors are also pretty efficent and are great for using righteous shield to let you initiate an engagement with a 1 turn advantage. Hell even the 67 build of northern cross avenger is awesome.

There is more than a handful of awesome ranged units as well but markoth already mentioned them.

Also chances are if your truthseekers being 1 rounded you're positioning it in the most god awful of places imaginable cause nothing with sapping armor should get 1 rounded.

4. Orubus

Orubus Devotee of the Blood Owl

Is there a paladin barb bg posted

5. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

probably

6. SireofSuns

SireofSuns I need me some PIE!

What are you running?

7. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

8. Hierokliff

Hierokliff I need me some PIE!

so many unknown runes :) working on some skirmish games to gather gold/shards to get some of them. thanks for sharing one of your BG's
    got me medal of valor, and its crazy good, playing with a few battle leader runes also, and its a nice way to heal and buff all at the same time.

Woffleet likes this.
  9. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

The deck is:
    Barbarian Guardian x1
    Bastion the Avenger x1
    Carrier Squire x1
    Conscripted Warrior x1
    Ghoulhunter x1
    Ironfist Inquisitor x2 (one as Commander/Strike other as Render/Immunity)
    Northern Cross Avenger x1 (Spur/Cull)
    Northern Cross Priestess x1
    Northern Cross Purger x2 (Acolyte/MarkofAlmara)
    Plainswalker x1
    Veilwalker x2
    Zedin x1

10. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

No more Purging Flames?

11. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Generally I would but with Priestess and Plainswalker its a bit overkill. Acolyte is cheaper and surprisingly heals a lot from Branded.