Trying to play this game

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dooiefries, Apr 23, 2014.

1. dooiefries

dooiefries The King of Potatoes

Hello,

I'm a new player. Level 35, farmed some single player, bought 2 boxes with the gold.

I'm trying to play this game. However, it is hard.
    Not because its complex or difficult. Sure it is, but that's not what I am getting at here.

1. Many times single player games don't start. This has been reported in the bug section and has seen developr attention. Still the problem persists and at times it is impossible for me to play single player.

2. There is a nice gold bonus in the Training Grounds. Also, it is nice for me to play against people there with equal free decks. However, there is noone playing in the Training Grounds.
    It takes me up to half an hour to find an opponent there. Sometimes I can find noone. Not even to get the gold bonus.

3. While I am writing this post, I have been queued for ranked play for atleast 15 minutes now. There are people online and I assume other games are starting. Noone in lobby is saying the server crashed. Please match me with a hard opponent, but atleast let me be able to play a game!

In conclusion; I want to play this game, but it's not easy to get an actual match going.

LordRahan likes this.
  2. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

1. Usually doesn't happen for me. Pox has this thing where everyone has his own little bugs. You seem to have gotten quite a short end though.

2. Yep; I usually queue and then go browse the interwebs.

3. I didn't have that problem lately, did you try relogging? Apparently sometimes Pox messes things up so badly it needs a relog, which happens now and then in singleplayer for me. Things likea ll campaigns disappearing.

3. MentalMoles

MentalMoles I need me some PIE!

I completely agree with the three things, I can only say that at last people are now working to fix all of these issues, so be patient and it will be resolved.

Couple tips, once you get ranked (10 games played) you will find games much faster, the reason it takes so long to get a game is because the system tries to match you against other unranked new players, but at the moment there isn't many!

Have you tried asking people in the ranked lobby if they want to play a Training Grounds game for the gold bonus?

also, have you tried making or joining a custom game in the battlegrounds, they seem to get opponents fairly quickly

RedScarlet likes this.
  4. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

About the last one at least, there's been a lot of talk in the past about how to make the ranked queues work when there's only one person in an mmr bracket

the worry is that if it's too easy to expand the scope of the queue, you get either new players stomped repeatedly by vets, and said newbs then go on to get a bad vibe. and you get players at the top at the rankings who farm lower ranked players to keep high rank a lot easier.

it's not really a perfect system, would be easier with a bigger playerbase

5. only

only Active Member

I think that after 3 minutes of Q, you should be matched against ANYTHING closest.

Training Grounds were improved, but it's a dedicated section for new players and we simply don't have them.

I suppose we're at those dark times for new players. they want a revamp to happen and fix that damn lag to start making announcements.

6. Faust

Faust Devotee of the Blood Owl

Welcome
    dooiefries

i am glad we have you on aboard !

7. uaChakra

uaChakra Member

As for me revamp is not main issue for newcomer. I think main problem is gold accuare rate. It is painful to be newcomer without spending 100-200$ at start.

8. Dresnar20365988

Dresnar20365988 Devotee of the Blood Owl

That's crazy talk.

I think the revamped TG is missing its desired mark. I cant remember the TG ever having so little interest(I know its not the same as the past).

What could get the numbers up in TG? I've wanted to try out some of the BG's provided but there simply isn't anyone there to play. Maybe its to complex? What is so off putting? I'd suggest reducing the BG's available to 1 per faction perhaps?

9. RedDain

RedDain I need me some PIE!

I think we should have a reward system for vets who spend time in training grounds. Give experienced players a reward for showing new folks the ropes.

10. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

amazing. game is still stingy as hell with its f2p system. players complaining of low playerbase and long Q times, and the solution is to give the vets more? sigh. hopeless.

11. RedScarlet

RedScarlet I need me some PIE!

even I haven't spent 200$ and I've all my needed LEs. Just spend your time with pox and you'll get your LEs either for a disc, or free (hullo renovators)

12. uaChakra

uaChakra Member

Judging from your rank you have weak and worthless Le's.I spend more than 200$ and I don't have any LE's that I want to get. I don't even have any leg version of runes that I want.

13. RedScarlet

RedScarlet I need me some PIE!

lol I've 2 of everything except Harbringers... I just dont play much anymore, not until the revamp hits... hee-hee. Dont lose faith mang, just stick with pox

i spent 150$ in total btw, all within 50% disc period. When I see/forecast an OP champ pre-release, I usually buy them for my collection while the meta still havent touched it much (after price correction), so I got most of my legs under market price.

and also, I only use 2 150ks, I sold two other which makes up for most of my SP collections. since i started ages ago, its not weird to accumulate such gold. if you play dailies thats alr almost 1k gold. the gold accrual rate isn't really that low if ur patient enuff.

and always avoid packs. (not sure about the current new boxes), but if u buy old packs, you've basically been tricked by SOE... its so not worth it

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  14. Zenity

Zenity Devotee of the Blood Owl

It's only painful because there are no other newcomers to play with. If the game would be full of players who are still playing with starter BGs, or simple decks they traded for with their first ever box, then it would actually be fun to continuously grow with your deck.

The primary objective must be to make the game fun and accessible to new players. I don't think the pricing is nearly as important as some make it out to be. I personally think that cheaper pricing will work out better in the future if the game manages to attract new players again, but I don't see it as a major roadblock for newcomers. Even just playing with the free starter decks would be a lot of fun with enough players to compete. Imagine people organising starter deck tournaments, and working out detailed strategy guides for each individual deck. I actually think it's a brilliant way to ease players into the game, which properly focuses on the fact that Pox Nora is a strategy game first and a card game second.

It doesn't work right now because the existing players play on a completely different level to a newcomer. As far as newcomers are concerned, the existing player base is essentially useless. So imagine Pox Nora had exactly zero players, and the job of the dev team is to make it attractive enough to gain a critical mass of players again. That is essentially the state the game is in right now.

Of course that's all easier said than done, there are still a ton of accessibility issues to work out before we get to that part. First and foremost the revamp.

Nemorga, uaChakra and RedScarlet like this.
  15. Boozha

I've spent less than 200$ since I started in Broodcall and I think I'm in an acceptable spot.

16. uaChakra

uaChakra Member

TinyDragon was many time on 1st spot with deck that contain no leg and lim card. And your acceptable spot doesnt change reality ( that you need to spend tons of cash to get a high-rarity card )

17. Boozha

I actually farmed for my Sixul, so no, you don't have to spend tons of cash. Bugger off.

RedScarlet likes this.
  18. uaChakra

uaChakra Member

how long you farm your sixul? 3 month? half year? maybe year?

19. Boozha

Some months. Are you saying you want Runes with the prefix "Limited Edition" thrown after you?

20. uaChakra

uaChakra Member

some month? i think some its at least 4? so 4 month for 1 rune maybe for you its okay. But for other mass of people its not okay. That is why we have poor online. Personaly i dont care about prices and other stuff. I have runes that i need for play ( exept 150ks ). But new player is not going to join game with current system. And it is going to be a big fail re-release game on steam without changing in pay model. When Poxnora was released on steam online was preety big, and than people just drop it( no one is going to spend this much money for game , just to try it ).