Font Eruption vs Fiery Ambush

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Compost, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Leadrz

Leadrz I need me some PIE!

Funny.. Poison trap by favourite relic in the game.

If it got changed honestly I'd probably not play anymore

Anima26 likes this.
  2. Leadrz

Leadrz I need me some PIE!

It's simply because each faction has their own strengths and weaknesses.
    Not everyone has to be on par.

IMAGIRL likes this.
  3. bambino

bambino I need me some PIE!

drown 80 nora(stiil need water)
    phs. 60 nora (4me , summs are the value not dam,, like decep. or skele summ,but at higher cost )
    R. blast 55 nora..not in love..
    FE 50 nora..(again situaltional)
    4 spells= 245 nora/61.25 avg for 4 spells !
    usually when bg building,, bg avg nora goes down when one starts adding spells..
    fs spells suk.

4. GoldTiger

GoldTiger I need me some PIE!

It was said at the beginning of the thread the reason is likely the extra easy access to Nora gen tho

5. Ballballer

Ballballer Chief Antagonist

You are a joke

6. prymusedek

prymusedek I need me some PIE!

No ,/,,

Anima26, Qucas and Leadrz like this.
  7. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

I think that "FS gets the least efficient stuff because nora gen" is a myth in the same way that "KF champs come prenerfed to counter the speed bonus" is. If you go through the history of these spells, you realize that they are very old, and they have gone through incremental changes to get to the costs where they are now. These cost increases are not exclusive to FS, as we have also seen them happen with spells like mobilize, draconic benediction/quickening, galeforce, and a lot of other old staple spells. None of these cost increases have proven to be overnerfs since the spells still see play in top decks, and as long as that remains the case these kinds of faction pity threads are a waste of everybody's time.

The OP in particular is one of the most misleading comparisons I have seen in a long time. Yes, the two spells both deal AoE damage in font zones, but the situations where you want to cast them are completely different. FA is a hybrid finisher/control spell that a UD player will use to take out a single champion and might force one other champion to skip its turn. It is a very strong spell and you could absolutely make an argument that it is too cheap for what it does, but the spell's effects are focused on a single font and take place during the victim's turn and can either be countered (bodyguard, burning-oak seed, spot leap/pounce/teleport, divine shield, etc.) or simply ignored if its worth it to take the damage and decisively end a font battle.
    FE is a global spell that also affects relics and the shrine deployment zone, which means that you can use it as a powerturn spell to help in multifont battles and can also take out a warbanner so you can unexpectedly capture a sidefont. It also forces global relic-dependent decks to either waste AP deploying those relics in non-deployment zones (and give FS a free pass against guarding a font with relics regardless of whether they run the spell or not) or take them out in one turn and reset their win conditions. It is one of those spells that has such a high impact that it forces players to think differently about how they play, and it does not need a buff.

A few months ago, there were very few people playing FS and hardly any good players. After the nerfs to Salamans (which are in a pretty good spot right now) and Semis (which was a bit too much but will be clawed back a little bit in the next patch), a lot of bandwagon players stopped playing and the faction looked kind of weak. Some good players have since taken FS up again and have showed that the faction is not in such a dire place after all. It is not the top faction right now but that is more a case of the top guys being a little too strong than FS being a little too bad.

Etherielin, Anima26, Qucas and 8 others like this.
  8. Ballballer

When we say "FS is never bad," we're only half kidding.

Etherielin, Qucas, JellyBerry and 3 others like this.
  9. jeeperz2

jeeperz2 I need me some PIE!

LMFAO

Anyways I don't think Font eruption is better than fiery ambush, it's fasho not better than frigid barrier. People seem to underestimate the fact fiery ambush goes through spell protection and forces you not to move while doing 15 damage after DOT. Lets not even talk about frigid barrier, I have it in my frost amp you can literally guarantee yourself the mid font in most cases while doing a stupid amount of damage let alone if the damage is being amp. Neither one of those spells should be 40 nora and that's what this thread should be about not about if font eruption is better. The difference is font eruption is balanced.

Anima26 likes this.
  10. Skullferno

Skullferno I need me some PIE!

As a FS player, I rarely run Font erupt honestly.

Why run that situational spell when I have Reverb blast and Hippos?

that being said, it is a good spell. I think each spell has their own potential and shouldn't be classified together. The ST ice version of Fiery Ambush and FA alone should be compared.

11. JellyBerry

JellyBerry Forum Royalty

It's not like casting spells detracts from the potential amount of Nora you can generate, nor is the cost of the spells far above what is at the disposal of other factions. Several sources of Nora on a turn by turn basis is a much bigger deal than you make it out to be, stop trying to pretend it isn't.

Also yes, Barrier and Ambush are pretty rad.

12. Ballballer

Frost barrier should be about 50 nora imo

Etherielin, Anima26, TeaNinja and 3 others like this.
  13. OriginalG1

OriginalG1 I need me some PIE!

Font eruption is: all enemy units, every font, every deployment zone, with no target needed. If you have a relic at the shrine, a champ your font and then a champ at your opponents font, they all get to be hit by the same spell, with no target needed.

Fiery ambush targets a font. Fonts can be blocked by DMZ. The target font limits fiery ambush to fonts only. You can also knock or relocate an enemy through the fire wall for 12 fire damage a movement+charred on your turn. Dose not affect relics.

14. OriginalG1

If "Shattered Fonts" affected all fonts, avatars, and hit relics it would probably be an expensive spell, but would fail in effectiveness when compared to font eruption.

15. Anotherblackman

Anotherblackman I need me some PIE!

These font spells make stronghold look like Donald Trump voters.

jeeperz2 and Lushiris like this.
  16. profhulk

profhulk Forum Royalty

Everyone happy with 50 nora for a font eruption? Good now lets begin raising the cost of frigid barrier and fiery ambush, because funny last time I checked both of those spells can be amped and ST/UD both have means of amping fire and frost. Both FB and FA have secondary effects. FB reduces speed and defense and crystallizes the entire font. FA bypasses any spell defense and adds a dot raising its dmg and creating a fire pit impossible to walk on. 45 for these spells is a good start but 50 nora would be better because that is their true worth. Oh before I forget "nerf FW, ISisOP, and SL faction bonus is gud".

17. OriginalG1

eroding winds is probably the most similar spell to front eruption as far as effected zones, and damage to units is concerned.

18. JellyBerry

JellyBerry Forum Royalty

I mean, damage and potential block off are indeed pretty strong so I can see an argument for a cost increase. The pace of the game allows it so really, it's a reasonable request, especially because most sources of damage of this kind are single target and don't have said secondary effects.

This, to me, is annoying though. Not every deck uses Frost Amp and even though I do agree it's ridiculous (25% through just a relic or 50% through two in super's fantasy world) it's also frustratingly limiting. Thematically I guess there isn't much we can change about Frigid Barrier at this point in time, but I'd honestly like to see other types of spell damage in ST if Frost Amp will always stay the same. It's not that I think the cost of ST spells isn't justified (or FS ones for that matter), just yeah, Firk frost damage sometimes.

19. Anima26

Anima26 I need me some PIE!

Poison Trap is one of FS' mvp runes imo, every deck should run at least 1, its a fantastic control tool. Erode is a great spell. Corrode would be great but i hate that its useless against FS, a very annoying drawback. I dont like dead slots. FE, Reverb and PHS are quite expensive but are still powerful enough to do their jobs as long as youre not spamming for the sake of it. Cannon is in a better spot now than before, a viable include. I dont have any real issues with FS' spells other than PHS and FE being a tad expensive and Corrode being useless against FS, but i can deal with that. Would be nice if FS got a new damage spell to compete with the others, Conundrum is neat but very situational.

20. bagoftrick

bagoftrick I need me some PIE!

I can't agree with adding yet more damage dealing spells to the game. there are too many as it is, alot of those that exist need sorting out so adding 'competing' FS spells just adds to the issue.