Trying to play this game

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dooiefries, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Michał

Michał New Member

...is a huge mistake, as you no doubt see by now.

2. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Bugger off then. I'm all for free to play, but people like you are just greedy.

3. Boozha

What are you trying to say? You don't need the 150 k's to play, which even ignores that they are more accessible now. Heck, everything is more accessible than ever. The most part why I spent so much money is because I had to, because f2p mechanism were mostly nonexistant.

RedScarlet likes this.
  4. uaChakra

uaChakra Member

For example if someone want to try WoW, he pay 10$ and play it and if he likes the game he pay a 10$ more and continue to play. In poxnora in order to get a decent start , player need to buy at least 5-6 box at minimum. And most fun part on this forum that i like the most , is how TOP player love to say that you can be top 50 with cheap deck and etc. 70% of time in pox i spend for watching ranked match and all top player use 150ks and other top tier leg/exo and after this they continue to say that you dont need this 150ks in your deck.
    FW - Coragh is auto include for any theme
    UD - Korona auto include
    ST - Kento auto include and etc
    maybe KF 150ks is not auto include.
    Most of the ranked games you only see how player deplot Limited/Legendary/Exo card and maybe 1-2 rare/com/uncom.

5. Boozha

You are vastly exaggerating, I started out with just two packs per expansion, after buying one box in broodcall. And, still, that was at a time when f2p wasn't even a concept.

RedScarlet likes this.
  6. uaChakra

uaChakra Member

yeah you start a lot times ago and each month you buy a pack. But for new player who start to play NOW there is 2k runes in game. And you need tons of box now.

7. Boozha

I actually got those two packs for the subscription system that was in place back then, I didn't buy packs for quite a time. Right now you got to spend about 20$ on a box, get lucky (that part sucks and I want it to change), trade for a decent BG, farm gold, buy boxes, pimp it up. Really, the only part currently not acceptable is that if you get a Bane Shift hand in your box you are screwed.

RedScarlet likes this.
  8. Nemorga

Nemorga I need me some PIE!

Man... some wisdom there, as usual.

9. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

They are not autoinclude in any theme if you are actually following a theme. You would not put Coragh in a Lich, Skeleton, or Creep deck. If you're including them, you're doing a hybrid goodstuff and theme deck. Yes, to get to the top 25, you will probably see a 150k in most of the decks, but a new player shouldn't be aiming that high out of the gate. A new player should be aiming for something more achievable, such as being high in the Exotic, or entering the Limited tier. That can be done without a 150k. You also make it sound like you need to have mulitple decks. With one box you can get enough to get a deck. If you decide you like the game enough, farm some gold, maybe buy another box with cash. By the end of the first month, you've spent $30, have two cash boxes and a box for gold. 3 boxes will get you a top tier competitive deck missing just the 150k.

10. RedScarlet

RedScarlet I need me some PIE!

or just play a damn racial alr. Lonx, Boghoppers, Skeezicks, Kanens, Skellies, all doesn't necessarily need 150ks to win...

11. uaChakra

uaChakra Member

For example im new player and i want minotaur deck. 1 Box cant give me even 1 minotaur battlemage if i be unlucky with opening it.

12. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

So you trade. You don't need a Minotaur Battlemage to play the deck, it just works better with it. You can still start the deck out and play with most of the stuff.

13. MadCom

MadCom Active Member

New player creates acc > opens rune manager > "My First Deck" empty bg...

Yeah, current model for new players is AWESOME!

14. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Agreed, it should be more obvious that you need to either buy or earn gold for your first editable deck.

15. Boozha

I can agree with that. One thing I loved about Planetside was that it begins by simply dropping you into battle, boom like that. Pox needs to do something similar - just get the gameplay started to tell people what the hell is even going on.

16. Nemorga

Nemorga I need me some PIE!

Yep, most games have a "quick start guide" or something similar. That'd come in handy for new players!

17. Zenity

Zenity Devotee of the Blood Owl

That's what the starter decks are for.

But yes, as far as the custom deck section of the game is concerned, this is a real problem. Putting players in front of an empty page, with no additional instructions, is a huge no no...

A problem is also that buying a few packs or even a couple boxes is not likely to net you the runes necessary for a sensible deck, so trading is almost essential before you can even build one custom deck. Talk about a huge barrier to entry...

That's why I think it would be a good idea to designate a certain subset of the runes as "basic runes" which you earn on a new account but can't trade (they could even be new runes if you didn't want to upset existing traders). These basic runes should allow players to make playable decks at least (and in fact the "My First BG" should be prefilled with something playable, no matter how weak). Then players can gradually improve their deck as they earn gold or buy packs and get hooked this way.

The alternative is to really focus on the starter decks, and designate custom decks as a very advanced section of the game. I.e. eventually you will learn enough to build your first custom deck, but until then you are encouraged to always play with starter decks. I don't see anything particularly wrong with this approach, although I wonder if it's good enough to get players hooked early.

18. MadCom

MadCom Active Member

Oh, those TG bgs are really helpfull for new players. You can play in empty TG or farm single player. Yep, looks like good model to draw new people to game.

P.S. I'm not complaining about Owls, I understand they have a lot of Bane Shift right now on them and I hope they will find solution so Pox would become super awesome game with huge player base. I'm just can't understand how these forum ****butts elitists can justify current system, while they were playing pox for years on all those different models, where you could actually obtain runes or play with your skill level and runes quantities opponents.

19. Boozha

Are you seriously saying the former systems would have been better? they were godawful in comparison. The current problem is that we have few new players.

20. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

You can use the free decks in the battlegrounds too. I know it isn't as good as the TG where your opponent also has to use a TG deck, but it would at least get you an opponent more quickly.