A Boghopper Thematic Suggestion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by themacca, Nov 26, 2016.

1. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Okay, so I am entirely aware of the situation of DoG/Poxnora, a lot to do not much time to do it with and just need to focus on absolute priorities such as the new client, and the eventual PS4 Release. So i don't expect this to be done asap (if you guys like the suggestion that is) or any time soon as it really isn't an obvious priority.

Anyways this is what i would like to see happen. I would like the spell infuse to become the Core Concept behind the boghopper theme, since we know that they have a strong connection with nora and they even use it to give them strength I would like to see them get a version of the Channelling: X abilities as a racial. But of course less useless.

Infuse Strength: CD 1: AP: 2
    Upon activation all boghoppers within 3 spaces gain +1 Damage for every 15 Nora in your bank for 4 turns. This ability costs 10 nora to activate. This effect does not stack

Infuse Speed: CD 1 AP: 2
    Upon activation all boghoppers within 3 spaces gain +1 Speed for every 30 Nora in your bank for 4 turns. This ability costs 10 nora to activate. This effect does not stack

Infuse Defence: CD 1 AP: 2
    Upon activation all boghoppers within 3 spaces gain +1 Defence for every 30 Nora in your bank for 4 turns. This ability costs 10 nora to activate. This effect does not stack

Obviously this should come with an additional change of making most boghoppers initially have slightly sub-par stats.

After that change is initiated boghoppers should start to be given more stuff to synergize with those abilities through additional nora gain.
    1 Nora Shield Champion
    1 Nora Miner champion

Change Marsh song to give it's nora advantage faster when you have more boghoppers out:
    Add "When this spell is cast you gain 10 nora (to a maximum of 50) for every boghopper you control and this spells duration is reduced by 2" (This may need to be for every 2 boghoppers because obviously a spell thats just instant 20 nora profit because you have 5 boghoppers out would be very strong)

@Sokolov As i said, obviously not a priority and probably a time consuming thing as well but i think it's an idea worth entertaining for when you guys have more free time.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
    Qucas and GoldTiger like this.
  2. Excalibur95

Excalibur95 I need me some PIE!

bad idea, far too strong.

3. themacca

bad criticism, far too little detail

jeeperz2, Etherielin and Tweek516 like this.
  4. Elves Rule

Elves Rule I need me some PIE!

Lets put some numbers into here, because that's what it's all about.
    Assume that you have 3 ranged guys out.
    turn 1, about 60 nora from shrine+fonts, spend 10 to get +2 spd to all ranged guys, save ap. (need 70 nora at start if it reduces before buffing).
    That it's too bad, eriluuns favor was +1 spd for 30 nora to everyone for 10 turns and nobody really used it.
    turn 2, 100+ nora in bank, gain 6 or 7dmg on all 3 ranged units and double tap with that extra speed.
    So 36dmg bonus damage dealt, at the cost of 20 nora.
    And they can avoid the double tap, but doing that may concede a font, etc.

So this looks pretty insane, but it's also sorta hard to set up and involves a lot of things to go your way.
    So I'm gunna say that (if hoppers get bad stats to compensate) this is balanced, UNLESS stuff goes your way, in which case you murder all the other guys stuff and win. Which I don't think would be too hard to pull off. So needs toning down a bit, but not too much.

5. phdstax

phdstax Active Member

I like it, but it needs a longer cool down like CD 3. Also, +1 Speed is not equal to +1 Damage or Defense, so those would need more balance.

6. Excalibur95

Excalibur95 I need me some PIE!

since when were boghoppers so broken that they needed a total complete overhaul and massive change to the way they work...

get gud

going green went to yur head

Willow likes this.
  7. themacca

Nothing to do with their current ability. everything to do with the fact that they are a theme with absolute 0 synergies among their race. that's why its a thematic suggestion not a buff suggestion

8. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

Sounds OP.
    1) save nora
    2) super champ(s)
    3) deploy after power-turn with initial champs being buffed for 4 turns
    4) use new marsh song with new deployed champs for refund
    Always) Gain 6 nora everyturn

SPiEkY likes this.
  9. themacca

The difference though is that you would only be able to reap the benefits of that speed bonus for 1 round.

10. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Creative suggestion, but not one I would implement.

Tweek516 likes this.
  11. bambino

bambino I need me some PIE!

its a fair point,,ive noticed this for sometime,
    boghoppers dont have anything tying them together,,, a racial like mirefolk,, even a dam type like firks/physic.
    basically just a bunch of frogmen,, and really no benefit for creating a boghopper bg .
    a shame,, when I first found pox,, i looved boghoppers,,,(werent as many races back then ) , reminded me of the old ADnD cartoon..
    perhaps a smaller approach might work,,
    pepper a couple of the main bogs with some
    racial enhancements that benefit them when other bogs are near.. (im trying so hard not to say surge :-! ).. just a touch,, they still have good terrain mods which enhance them as well. just a thought..
    kudos at least for bringing it up...
    bogs are kinda nowhere now,, they should easily be one of the most formidable races within the swamp... and the goto race for a newb looking to play FS( easy to play),,, swamp dwarves.

12. GoldTiger

GoldTiger I need me some PIE!

I was under the impression these were non balanced numbers used only for the purpose of being an example for an infuse type mechAnic. Instead everyone's taken them as gospel.

PS I think it would be more fair with diminishing returns. E.g. Per 10 Nora then per 15 then per 20 for each piece of damage extra you're getting like the original channel:x. Just so you don't power turn Kartch to crazy deeps.

13. TeaNinja

TeaNinja I need me some PIE!

Interesting but not sure I'd like Boghoppers turn into a powerturn theme. Boghoppers are thematically fast with Leap 3 being common and should be a rush theme instead of this.

14. Cinder405

Cinder405 I need me some PIE!

@themacca I like the concept but it seems like it may be over the top at times.

@ All the People that say boghopper don't have a theme and that they are bland

The Elves of K'Thir would like to say "Hi!"

All that being said I do think Boghopper could have their own different modules. What I mean by that is for example KF Elves have Aurora/Blinding Elves,
    Delim Elves, Wilderkin/Beast elves. Archer elves, wizard elves, etc.

Boghoppers could have a focus on Monks, a focus on stealth from the dar Marsh arts, hmmmm help with ideas would be appreciated.

bambino and TeaNinja like this.
  15. SireofSuns

SireofSuns I need me some PIE!

Darkmarsh used to be it's own thing in a way, with tons of stealth mechanics and damage ramp, but a lot of that got nerfed/taken away because it was too op at the time.

Boghoppers being Frogs, and canonically being closely tied to Nora, here's some lore and real-world themes they could have:
    1] Poison. Yes, it already exists, but giving more access to Poison and Hallucinogenic would be very fitting for the Boghoppers.
    2] Stealth. The Darkmarsh are mostly this, but need some streamlining for it to really be a thing.
    3] Nora generation. This is FS as a whole, but the Boghoppers are supposed to the best at it.
    4] Healing. The Boghoppers are known for amazing healing in lore and in the meta.
    5] Terrain control. FS has quite a few spells that do this, but things could be made to synergize with the Hoppers more. More sticky muck for the enemy to wade through while you Drown them and jump on their faces.
    6] Rush? Yes, the Hoppers can be used to rush, this has always been the case with Leap, which enables them to get around terrain and possibly move faster (Leap 3). It's not really lore friendly or similar to real life, but it can certainly be done. They would need more things like Pounce, Elusive Leap, Swoop, etc. And then ways to capitalize on them (like, they create impeding water in an AOE 1 where they land, not necessarily that, but something).

'sigh', I would really enjoy the Boghoppers being something other than the "meta splash" champs of FS (hehe, see what I did there?).

In regards to the OP, that looks cool. Something like that would be really neat, though I do think that it would need adjusting. I'd need more time to look it over though.

16. Compost

Compost I need me some PIE!

Aw cmon, you mean throwing surge on a few champs doesn't make it an interesting synergistic theme?

I like you're idea, I don't think it would be as op in practice as it looks on paper. "Just save nora and ap and everything can double tap with 3 ranged champs" isnt that easy in a game you aren't already winning handedly, try to do that against boundless enthusiasm sheoul demons without losing a font.

17. sWeNibor

sWeNibor I need me some PIE!

The way i look boghoppers is like this:
    Boghoppers = frogs = frogs jump = to perhaps have a similar ability to Snaptooths but decrease leap ap cost, or improve range, and then perhaps give leap a cooldown to balance it up so one get more mobilty in one turn. So ones mobilty is more planned. Because the wisdom of the swamp is endless.

18. GoldTiger

GoldTiger I need me some PIE!

Leap 3 doesn't support a rush play style. It actually supports the opposite. Very hard to Rush a champion that can 'disengage for free'. It is however hard to rush with no ap gen and not even 7 speed most of the time. If it were pounce instead of leap that woul be a different question.

For example take boghopper back when he was used. Leap 3, dodge and block on a tiny hp unit was used to stall fonts. Though this may be 'rushy' in a sense, he never dealt enough damage.
    Or try for example their ranged units. It's hard to rush a unit who can essentially disengage 'for free'. Though they have 'pseudo 7 speed', its not true 7 speed in a rush sense. You can move 3 spaces and attack on t1 like any 7 speeder, but on t2 you will not have any opportunity to double attack since you will only have 6ap instead of 8.

19. themacca

After this expansion centaurs now have a clear design direction with AP grant on attacks plus benefits granted through movement.

I.e. running strike, bold, blitz, rally the herd, declare target on commander

What synergies do Boghoppers have? they have a spell which grants next 3 deploys shadow spawn or another which grants intimidating in AOE. soooo what design direction do hoppers themselves have cause i certainly can't see it

20. SireofSuns

SireofSuns I need me some PIE!

Hoppers... Hop. Hippity hoppity.
    [​IMG]

Etherielin and TeaNinja like this.