Is there enough incentive to play ranked?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Osidan, Dec 3, 2016.

1. jeeperz2

jeeperz2 I need me some PIE!

There needs to be things other than what we already have we can use gold on. We have to much of it tbh... You really only use gold for tokens now.

Fentum likes this.
  2. SireofSuns

SireofSuns I need me some PIE!

Well,
    1] If you have that much gold you're a veteran, and so you have most of the runes anyway, so there's not much to spend it on.
    2] Maybe, possibly, someday, they'll bring back the Tournament tickets and allow us to spend gold on those.
    3] If they ever get around to aesthetic stuff (like name tokens), you can bet your golden monkey that some of that will have gold prices.

jeeperz2 likes this.
  3. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

Just make that you can conquer map territory spending gold too, biggest currency sink ever. :p

4. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

Since people feel lost out on this, maybe information on the bonuses of playing ranked could be put in the tips in the loading screen?

5. jeeperz2

jeeperz2 I need me some PIE!

That's what should be done I don't have all the runes I want, I use gold mainly for boxes but that's about the only thing I spend gold on. Doesn't feel like i have many choices on things I actually need with gold :/

6. Gaedel

Gaedel I need me some PIE!

I do like the idea that the more you play the better chance to get better rewards, such as better runes. Maybe use the same calculation as you do when you open packs (some commons rarer than other commons, and so on). Not sure if there is an algorithm for that or if opening packs is completely evenly random between common to common, rare to rare, etc.

7. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

The new client better shows what you earn after a match. But the fact that it sounded the OP didn't even know it existed is certainly concerning. We'll see how it feels after people have seen the new end of game reward screens.

SireofSuns and Tweek516 like this.
  8. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

It really didn't sound like you were talking about amount.

How do you feel about the rate now? What do you think the rate should be?

SireofSuns likes this.
  9. Osidan

Osidan I need me some PIE!

Well, right now, the daily single player quest is the quickest source of income. When I was still playing, that's what I did each day. I also played skirmish and got quite a few nice rewards in terms of card drops (exotics or even legendaries to shard). So I like that.

The only problem was that for me, there was not enough incentive to play ranked. I did the first league once (the 1000 gold), but the next step in the league (3 commons) already wasn't worth the trouble for me, personally.

I know I'm repeating myself, but I think it would be highly beneficial if you implemented a system where, say, the first 5 ranked games award something similar to the daily single player quest - say 200 for the first, 300 for the second, and so on. It would make it so that playing a couple of ranked games becomes a non brainer, regardless of whether you're a beginner or an advanced player. I think you couldn't go wrong with that, since PVP is what's supposed to be most important. Giving some additional gold for winning games would also be nice, but the core idea is that you simply jam those 5 games regardless of win or loss and that would definitely improve player activity on a daily basis.

But now I have annoyed you enough, the system you have is not bad, per se, but I think greater incentive for PVP would be a nice addition.

Thanks for your time.

Fentum likes this.
  10. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

You might say I'm a veteran player but I have no clear idea what playing ranked will give me as a benefit.

Maybe a clear and concise summary that was in an obvious place might help.

Not sure if my position is common but I have loads of gold and loads of runes. I play the two single player games daily because it's clear and obvious that I get gold and a rune. I also occasionally benefit by unintentionally having two brutes, five wizards, ten equips or whatever in the ongoing reward thing.

Only spend gold on tokens. Very occasionally summon up the will to shard a few dozen runes to forge something, but usually pay cash to get VIP on Poxbox and trade there for specific runes. I DO spend money with Desert Owl when a new mega box comes out.

Then I play quite a bit of unranked and it's a lot of fun with very little rudeness and generally good etiquette.

Is that a good income model and player base model? I don't know. I've said for years that I'd pay Desert Owl just to keep Pox going with current runes, maps, etc. For an old fantasy board gamer like me, Pox is like Nirvana. Still no better game out there after ten years.

SireofSuns likes this.
  11. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

That's a good idea. Clear reward for a few ranked games per day.

SireofSuns and Osidan like this.
  12. Axeraiser

Axeraiser I need me some PIE!

Honestly I think it should be 1000 gold per game, it shouldnt take you like 70 games to be able to afford a box.

13. Excalibur95

Excalibur95 I need me some PIE!

shards for playing ranked, win or lose that scale to the full length of your game or as close to it, at least an hours play.

more players will play ranked then.

14. DiCEM0nEY

DiCEM0nEY I need me some PIE!

o.o

I think the rewards are fine...they are a business you know o.o

I do agree about the comment where the commons weren't much of an incentive, esp since they can't be sharded.

15. Excalibur95

Excalibur95 I need me some PIE!

yea if you win.

its a no brainer tho, new players can get loads more rewards from single player than losing in ranked all/most the time. they will then likely get indocrinated into only playing single player and may never touch ranked because its too hard, they lose and get no rewards. at least if they got the same rewards for losing its an incentive to give ranked a chance and get better at it.

why would anyone be against this, winners are still getting rewarded.

its not like bad players can rank up much to get the shard and rune rewards. so thats not an incentive to play ranked for them.

bambino likes this.
  16. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

I think the f2p model is fine.

TeaNinja likes this.
  17. bambino

bambino I need me some PIE!

the f2p model IS fine,, the topic is, does it induce pvp.
    Usually 50 games goin on in single player,
    and about 8 in pvp...
    thats always. so id say no.

18. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

Its like noone heard when sok sayd packs will be 1k or less so you can buy one every other match to get runes..

SireofSuns and NevrGonaGivUup like this.
  19. NevrGonaGivUup

NevrGonaGivUup I need me some PIE!

Personally, I play ranked to get that sweet, sweet 2000 shard reward for getting to battlemaster. As a mostly f2p player, the runes from the newest expansion are nice as well.

My question is, why not play ranked? You can get the first several tier rewards from just losing games! It's a win-win. Get better at the game while accumulating gold and runes.

SireofSuns likes this.
  20. SireofSuns

SireofSuns I need me some PIE!

So, with THAT part of the conversation taken care of... I hope...

I forget, but I think you don't earn runes for playing ranked?
    One thing that could be done for Ranked play, is give out single lvl tokens. Maybe a Silver or a Bronze if you lose (Bronze if the game is short?)? Something like that. Though yes, Ranked Play should offer higher rewards than Single Player.
    Part of the reason Single Player is so enticing is because it's much easier to complete the challenges there, as you can tailor your bg for at least the first two non-competitive challenges. This is fine, and I like the challenges the way they are, but...
    Simply playing Ranked should earn more gold, or something (like the token idea). Perhaps winning in Ranked could give you an option like:
    Would you like Rune X, Y, Z, or some lvl tokens? (the available runes would cycle from day to day).