regarding facts, truthiness, and all that good shtuff

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Dagda, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

Geressen and DarkJello like this.
  2. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

yeah, you would say that, you filthy [insert derogatory term for the other side here]

Baskitkase likes this.
  3. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

unrelated though, i'm about to be gone for a week or so. happy hanukkah, merry christmas, or if any of you Firkers do something else have a good time with that instead

and give me your runes for christmas thx

Geressen, DarkJello and SPiEkY like this.
  4. st3ck

st3ck I need me some PIE!

My world view is too weird for facts to change the outcome much.

Geressen and DarkJello like this.
  5. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

That poor, poor whale.

6. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

I was gung-ho for Iraq cause I believed it was "righteous" payback. Boy was I fooled.

The final 1-2 years of GW Bush prez I realized the enormity of my error. Guess I am a hawkish dove now, or maybe a vegetarian vampire. (Most of my rednecky friends still think that invading Iraq was noble and such). But yes, I too am probably still guilty of the points laid out in the article. Nice share.

7. SireofSuns

SireofSuns I need me some PIE!

The only worthwhile part of the article (and the whole reason I read it...):

1. keep emotions out of the exchange,
    2. discuss, don't attack (no ad hominem and no ad Hitlerum),
    3. listen carefully and try to articulate the other position accurately,
    show respect,
    acknowledge that you understand why someone might hold that opinion, and
    6. try to show how changing facts does not necessarily mean changing worldviews.

Yup.

Also about Iraq, I honestly couldn't care less about whether the U.S. wanted Oil, or was going after un/real WMD's.
    That place needed help asap, and the UN wasn't doing enough (imo). Did more people die from the war than would have under the previous regime? Maybe. Was it worth the risk? I think so.

8. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

For those on the left who need help knowing which rule to focus on, I added nametags.

1. keep emotions out of the exchange, (Astamir)
    2. discuss, don't attack (BurnPyro)
    3. listen carefully and try to articulate the other position accurately (Boozha)
    4. show respect (Geressen)
    5. acknowledge that you understand why someone might hold that opinion (Ipox)
    6. try to show how changing facts does not necessarily mean changing worldviews (Sokolov)

and Geressen simply because your responses are so predictable I made this for you to easily cut and paste.

1. keep emotions out of the exchange, (Ragic)
    2. discuss, don't attack (Ragic)
    3. listen carefully and try to articulate the other position accurately (Ragic)
    4. show respect (Ragic)
    5. acknowledge that you understand why someone might hold that opinion (Ragic)
    6. try to show how changing facts does not necessarily mean changing worldviews (Ragic)

9. Gaverion

Gaverion I need me some PIE!

I feel left out of Ragic's list. Does that mean I am perfect?

Ohmin likes this.
  10. Ragic

1. Gaverion
    2. Gaverion
    3. Gaverion

feel better?

11. Gaverion

Gaverion I need me some PIE!

All 3 of the best posters are me, what an honor!

Ohmin and BurnPyro like this.
  12. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

The problem with the article, and these "rules" is it assumes the other party wants to discuss things. In my experience, most people just want to state their position, attack the other side and go on their way.

All of the rules is also largely "liberal" rules that many lefties already play by - and in my experience doesn't actually work because people are, in most part, not receptive to changing their minds in the first place. Unless, of course, you give them something to be angry about - because emotions trumps facts.

There are also people like my father-in-law, with whom I have a lot of great conversations. He is a conservative, but likes to say things just to rile people up (as it seems like many conservatives like to do). I have learned over the years he's really much more moderate than he lets on, and doesn't really believe in some of the stuff he says. But how do you tell this kind of thing without talking to someone for dozens of hours?

The riling people up thing does bother me when it happens while people are TRYING to have a productive conversation. To me, it's a shame so many people are afraid of honest conversation and are just out to score points. I mean, if you aren't interested in the discussion, just stay out of it? Why come into a conversation just to be an ass?

Note: I am talking about in general, and not just this forum, which is not a representative sample of the people I talk to. And as always, I am biased :)

1. Emotions is how the right wins - the GOP and the right are much better at utilizing emotions to win over voters, while the left tries to use "facts" but in my experience it largely just backfires.
    2. Again, you can't discuss with someone who just wants call you a ****** or that you hate America.
    3. This is often what I try to do, especially when I am asking clarifying questions - but in my experience it comes across as attacking or nitpicking.
    4. This one is tough when so many people act in ways that are not deserving of respect - how do you respect someone who calls the First Lady "an ape?" (I picked a "light" one)
    5. I think I do a pretty good job with this one in most cases, but it really doesn't matter in my experience - they know why, and if you get it wrong, they will spend a lot of time correcting you
    6. This is a problem with facts and logic in that people are often entrenched in their worldview/beliefs and threatening that actually makes them dig in harder - we have discussed this before. But it isn't going to stop me from explaining why I believe what I do - and the underlying facts and data are a big part of that for me.

Half of the time, I am not even trying to convince other people so much as wanting to verify my own beliefs and also become better at explaining them. Mostly though, I just think this stuff is interesting and want to talk about it. Whether or not I convince people is not particularly relevant most of the time.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    BurnPyro and Boozha like this.
  13. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I agree you should use that list Ragic.

everything I say is fact, you are a ****.

:D

14. Ragic

you should have used my cut and paste anyway. your reply was Bane Shift.

15. SireofSuns

SireofSuns I need me some PIE!

Speak for yourself.

See, from my perspective, the GOP separates its facts and its emotions, and so has to bases to draw in voters from, while the left mixes the two together and draws voters in using that. They both use emotions, just differently. I think this previous election is a good example of how the opposite of your experience can also be true:
    Hillary's campaign was largely fueled by hatred of Trump for his personal character (emotions). (there were other things, but as far as the liberal media seemed to be concerned, that was the one that mattered)
    Trump's campaign was largely fueled by the belief that Trump would stay true to his promises and platform (factual based). (yes, I know you may think otherwise, but really, the HUGE majority of Trump voters I met were very reasonable people, they were just too afraid of backlash for supporting Trump to actually let people know without being asked)
    Of course, that's all based on personal experience, from both of us.

Again, you can't discuss with someone who just calls you a moron or that you worship America. (yes, someone that wants to be a jerk isn't going to be helpful, I was just letting you know I experience the same thing)

I empathize.

It's not about whether they deserve respect: "They won't care about what you know unless they know you care about them." That's it. You don't have to actually respect them, but if you openly disrespect them, you become just as bad as them. Two wrongs don't make a right. (Two lefts don't make a right either, same with two leftists making a righty... This is too fun).

5. acknowledge that you understand why someone might hold that opinion"
    I guess? I don't remember you being specific about honestly, but maybe indirectly? I struggle with this one a lot, mainly because I usually don't understand why someone would hold BLANK opinion.
    I'm confused about why it doesn't matter though, can you explain further?

"try to show how changing facts does not necessarily mean changing worldviews."
    I think it's worded wrongly: "Realize that changing facts doesn't always equal changing worldviews." For example, whenever I receive new information, I try to determine how and if it fits into what I already believe. If it doesn't, I try to see if "shifting around" my beliefs will allow it in. This annoyed a college friend of mine to no end, because he thought that once I accepted some fact as true, I would agree wholly with him.

You should realize that you likely won't convince anyone of anything, but you should strive to do so anyway, BECAUSE: The tiniest part of what you say may affect someone's beliefs, even if only a small bit. It will always be worth it. (You've said some things sometimes that made me change my beliefs ever so slightly).

All these rules can be summed up like so: Always give you best.

SPiEkY likes this.
  16. Sokolov

Disagree.

Hillary's Campaign wasn't largely fueled by hatred of Trump. She had solid and detailed policy positions on many different issues, part of it due to having fought off a very strong contender in Bernie Sanders, which forced her to be more specific with a number of positions.

Trump's Campaign was largely fueled by fear and anger. Anger at establishment ("drain the swamp"), fear/anger of Clinton ("lock her up"), fear of immigrants ("ban Muslims"), etc. Trump's policy positions were largely unclear or non-existent (and since he won, he has walked back on many things he has said as well), and what policies he did put forth lacked detail or were re-hashes of existing establishment ideas (such as his tax plan).

This difference was especially clear during the debates where Clinton had actual answers, and Trump largely just babbled or talked about himself.

Hatred of Trump was just a GENERAL thing for many on both sides. Same with Hatred of Clinton. They were both extremely disliked, but it doesn't mean that the campaigns themselves were about that only.

Don't get me wrong, plenty of people hate Trump, but what people think and what the media focused on is NOT the campaign and misrepresenting what the media did as what Clinton's campaign did shows your bias.

Go back and look at Clinton's speeches and rallies next to Trump's. Look at what they actually said during the campaign and the type of language they used, instead of just which articles were trending on your Facebook or Twitter feeds.

Geressen and BurnPyro like this.
  17. Ragic

Media IS the campaign. Trump could control his msg in the general. Hillary apparently couldn't or didn't think it more important than bashing Trump. If you REALLY think all you have to do is put out a policy paper on your website then that's just foolish. As evidenced by the result. I remember Trumps first 100 days speech during the general. If Hillary gave an equivalent speech during the general then it was so boring that she might as well not have.

Media isn't the campaign.... Are you serious?

18. Sokolov

Glad you agree. In my experience, conservatives do this far more often though. Don't know how many times I've been called a cuck, libtard, or whatever as soon as I say anything that doesn't condemn Clinton fully.

The rule was "show respect" which is not "don't disrespect them." The point is I simply don't engage with that kind of people or statements (as you may have noticed in these forums).

I don't know what you are saying.

In my experience, showing that you understand why they hold an opinion doesn't help change their minds - it's just something they can criticize.

Note that I am saying not trying to understand people doesn't matter - I think it does a great deal (I myself have explained to many liberal friends why Trump voters aren't idiots or hateful and that there are plenty of other valid reasons they could have had to vote for Trump) - I just don't think it matters much in regards to changing people's minds who aren't predisposed to being changed already.

This is just another way of saying ideology trumps facts - which I wholly agree with. People will find all kinds of mental gymnastics to cram the new information into their existing mold - even if it means that new information ends up twisted or deformed. For example, looking up a study that contradicts their world view, seeing it was done a "liberal" university and putting the study down as proof of a liberal brainwashing conspiracy.

I think most people just enjoy conversations more than having someone constantly trying to change their minds, so I approach in this way...

If someone is willing to have an honest conversation, I don't mind doing it and will enjoy it. If one or both of us learns something, then bonus.

The ROI calculation of "always try" doesn't make sense nor do I think "it will always be worth it." If it'll take me 500 hours of research and talking to convince someone that he was wrong about some minor fact of a situation... no, I don't think that's worth it.

BurnPyro likes this.
  19. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Any possibility that might at least partially be because the people you talk to that share more in common with your own worldview are less likely to insult you than those whom hold a much more divergent worldview?

20. Sokolov

I am sure it's non-zero, but in my experience conservatives are more likely to not care what people think, for better or for worse, and this manifests in being more direct about being an *******. That said, liberals will do it behind your back, so perhaps that's no better ;)