Are there any proofs that the game dumbification is doing anything good?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LoganMkv, Jan 3, 2017.

1. LoganMkv

LoganMkv I need me some PIE!

I really don't understand this — pox get worse and worse with each patch. I used to make breaks for an exp or two, but now it has already been 3, and I feel the game has only regressed.

The revamp itself was terrible — and we had more than enough time to admit it. Less abilities == less possibilities, the calc is not really working, and lots of themes were made ******** onetrick ponies.

And what we got next?
    Boosts, hunters/SL bonus, dots, arctic/BotU, everything summoned without ways to utilize summons, swarm/leech vitality/other stuff capped, random base dmg reduction, seism/IS font bonus - all this removes existing possibilities without introducing any new ones.
    When you go from "everything is potentially op" to "everything is boring" the game itself becomes boring.

And considering no deck size increase for all this time — if you had a perfectly fine deck several exps ago, you can't add anything to it, only replace — so new runes don't really bring anything new.

Valkyr likes this.
  2. GoldTiger

GoldTiger I need me some PIE!

This one I can actually kind of get behind. The most recent addition to my FS meta bg was 4 expansions ago. Sure themes get flesh out but with ~10 runes an expansion this goes at a snails pace so its unlikely a lot of themes get changed from exp to exp. An increased deck limit could help with the uselessness of expansion runes.

3. DiCEM0nEY

DiCEM0nEY I need me some PIE!

I think seism is a problem only because there are some relics which should probably have 21 hp, but don't.

I think the game still has alot of complexity. there are a ton of abilities in pic which don't see play, simply because they are weak. lich servitor, and skeletal raiders come to mind. If these abilities became playable we might see more nuanced decks like you prefer.

The calculations are fairly straightforward aside from things like evasive, and mechanics which are unclear.

I'm not a big fan of needless complexity in games. They are, after all, video games. They shouldn't be designed for people who don't work or have other responsibilities.

4. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Whenever this topic got brought up before I'd never had an opinion on it.

Here we are today and I think it would be good/nice to get a deck limit increase. It'd make games more interesting.

5. Xzablaz

Xzablaz I need me some PIE!

add game mode: 15 runes limit, 30 secs turn timer

Kampel and Gnomes like this.
  6. Ballballer

Ballballer Chief Antagonist

Prepare to face double whispers and double rock traps

7. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Double Hammer Strike and Double Stunning Repur wasssup

8. Ballballer

Ballballer Chief Antagonist

Cleansing emerald says hi -oh Bane Shift-

Qucas and SPiEkY like this.
  9. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

I've talked a bit about this before but I think the 'dumbed down' thing is a misconception.

Every time there is more content added the game becomes more complicated (more runes and abilities = a higher burden of knowledge on the player), so there is a gradual increase in complexity over time.

The simplification/intuitiveness reforms reduce this burden of knowledge in other areas, so in effect they reset the overall complexity to the level which it was before complexity creep.

So it isn't dumbing down so much as maintaining an optimum level of complexity. Of course you can disagree that this level is in fact optimum, but one thing's for sure - the complicated version of Pox wasn't doing too well under Sony.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    davre, Etherielin and NevrGonaGivUup like this.
  10. 4NIK8

4NIK8 I need me some PIE!

Increasing deck size would be terrible. Would kill any bg building skill... Just include every op rune from said faction and your done, there's no trade offs, there's no considerations towards what's the current meta... Basically every deck would have counters to everything..

11. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

I wouldn't say that 4nik, though people said the exact same thing when we increased from 20 runes to 30 runes, skill is still required and may actually put more emphasis on certain things.

scry runes for example get more useful when your odds of drawing your strongest runes go down.

your ability to build a deck that will always draw into a good gets more complicated.

and situational runes get a tiny bit more accessible, maybe if you are playing sl you can fit those counter spells into the deck now completely changing the meta.

i'm not really for or against increasing deck size, mostly because it will have an equal amount of positive and negative effects resulting in what imo is a neutral state where we are no better or worse off then before the change.

12. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Well you obviously don't have a very informed opinion then aye?

Pro-tip; stating that your absence is not a good way to back up an argument.

Etherielin likes this.
  13. bambino

bambino I need me some PIE!

more rules, more mechanics and more complexity,, yea, thats exactly what pox nora needs.

14. LoganMkv

LoganMkv I need me some PIE!

Well, we had absolute playerbase peak under sony, and on its lowest (after a year without any updates) it was still higher than on expansion days now.
    As for complexity, we need it not for complexity itself, but for variety. Pox has a single game mode, no scalability, no asymmetric cases, not much random - so all the variety comes from complexity, and reducing it removes more content than expansions add.

15. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

It has been stated a million times already that Pox is not advertising itself until the New Client is out, so we're still pretty much in the limbo mode, thus the lower player count as the only people playing it are the ones who love the game and a stray newcomer or two.