Some noob questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by edmek55555, Jan 22, 2017.

1. edmek55555

edmek55555 Devotee of the Blood Owl

A few questions to help me out with pvp.

1. Any basic tips or general rules of thumb?

2. Any must have ud, sp, and fw runes?

3. Best beginner faction between fw, ud, and sp. I enjoy all 3.

4. General pvp practices. How you should start, when to go after the shrine, etc

2. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

1. Whenever you lose take 5 minutes and replay the game in your mind. Find your mistakes and learn from them. Savor every matchup against top players. They are in that position either because of their skill at playing or deck building. If you have questions about something they do or a unit they deploy ask them about it. Be respectful but ask questions. Most players will be nice if you are. If you lose you will only lose 1-5 exp and gain more knowledge than that exp was worth. If you win you get a ton of exp.

2. Warbanner.

3. UD. Id consider SP and FW to be advanced factions because their playstyles are different than most. UD is very straight forward.

4. Save 4 AP on your units where possible so they will have full ap next turn. Dont go for shrine unless you can kill it but always keep that option on the table. Dont lose a game for a font. If you feel your momentum slipping focus on consolidating your position instead of pushing onward. The furher someone is from their font or shrine the weaker their position.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    DiCEM0nEY, MaruXV and SPiEkY like this.
  3. NevrGonaGivUup

NevrGonaGivUup I need me some PIE!

1. http://forums.poxnora.com/index.php?threads/zen-rules-of-playing-pox.21419/

2. I think the only real 'must-have' runes are the best non-champion runes, which you can find by looking at what's most commonly run in decks from that faction.

probably something like:
    UD- Mandate, retribution, fiery ambush, etc
    SP- Vicious harpoon, vertical push, whispers of the mind
    FW- Mobilization, essence drain, unholy tomb

3- UD is the easiest faction to win with if you aren't good at the game.

4- Adapt your bg to counter what's popular/OP at the time, or what you have trouble with.

Also, when deploying champions, it's generally best to deploy melee first, then ranged, then support champs. This order isn't a rule so much as... a guideline.

4. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

Ud is the best noob faction.

It's also good for new players

SPiEkY likes this.
  5. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

Yeah, UD is probably the most noob-friendly/heavy faction at the moment (as well as most other moments).

There are higher skill-cap UD decks out there, but the primary faction flavor decks are pretty easy to pick up.

6. edmek55555

Yeah. So far my favorite decks have been ud arthropod decks. The ud boost seems like its good for noobs.

That being said, forglar swamp and savage tundra seem like they would be pretty noob friendly with their bonuses being probably the best in the game. Every pvp match I've played has been against forglar or savage tundra

7. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

I would rate a couple of faction's bonuses above ST, not just FS

8. calisk

The current sl one seems better then the St one, it's fairly easy to gain more then 10 Hp of negation out of that bonus

9. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

spiders is a nice bg, and can be competitive. go for it!

10. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

11. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Im just gonna answer 2 everyone else has covered all bases.

2. Serkan, Xulos, Warbanner, Unholy Tomb, Essence Drain, Bone Circle Staff, Mobilization, Hungry dead, Wandering Zombie, Soulreave.

12. DiCEM0nEY

DiCEM0nEY I need me some PIE!

1. Find out the most powerful or best budget theme and collect it.

2. Fw: I'd say collect worms, spirits or stitched. You "must have" the best 30 runes as you can, since the game is highly competitive. Don't worry about "must haves" just collect the runes as you actually need them. If you lose a game because you couldn't do x, then grab y rune.

3. it depends on the theme. SP is much harder I'm, because you need to calculate Nora costs as you deploy and as things die.

4. The way I learn any game is always the same. Try to end the game asap, every time. Your first deck should be a rush deck, focused on killing the shrine. Keep evolving the deck, and you will eventually have the skill and the deck to play in the late game.

13. OriginalG1

OriginalG1 I need me some PIE!

try not to use spells unless it is for kill. do not let things live, they will heal so hard.

SPiEkY likes this.
  14. edmek55555

I guess part of my issue is I like to use spells defensively. For example I really enjoy acrid smoke for the free turn where I pretty much don't take any damage. Maybe I should start with the kill approach and go from there once I get a better grip. Any advice on equipment?

15. calisk

Tcgs in general don't do well with defensive spells you want immediate effects that gain you advantage.

Not to say defensive spells are bad to run but only as a last resort, and don't be surprised when the effect is countered