AoW series - An old love story

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by MaruXV, Feb 8, 2017.

1. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

(hope this isnt against some rules of the forum, in case delete it)

Does anybody here, you filthy turn-based strategy lovers, play any title of the Age of Wonders series?
    If you never have, i strongly suggest you to take a look at it.
    I've been a fan of this game from the first one in far 1999, and keep buying everything the small Triumph Studios made during the years. They really deserve some love.

To keep it simple, its a turn based game based on empire building - exploration. A lot of people say its a bad resource management game, not as endless legend or civilization etc. Its true, because it isnt a management game. If you enjoy micromanagement of resources, small economy decisions etc, stay away from this one.

BUT

If you want a game with some really light manegement decisions to take (only 2 type of resources mostly), a lot of units and spells, focused on exploration of world and dungeons, exping some heroes, and REALLY focused on tactical turn based combat, this is your title. And, if you like poxnora, you should enjoy also this one.

Particularly the last AoW3 is well made, and has a random map generator really well made that can give you like infinite replay potential.

" but i play Heroes of Might and magic, isnt it the same"? NO, it isnt. I think thats it could be about personal taste, but i always enjoyed aow more than homm, mostly because units are as important as heroes. heroes are like a little stronger units that can level up faster, but the units can roam by themselves. Also you dont see that stupid " here's my unit made of 1000 soldiers" like homm, every units is by herself so it gives a more "realistic" feeling.

i'm not a game developer or a secondary store that wants to sell you the game. I'm just a long time fan that wants to share a good game so that also other people can enjoy it as much as i did (and still do).

super71 and eSmokefish like this.
  2. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

I have all of the parts of the series and their expansions. Back in '90s AoW, HoMM and Disciples made the Trinity of Fantasy TBS. It's a shame that AoW is the only one to have survived the test of time in the hands of original developers (Triumph Studios)

eSmokefish likes this.
  3. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

thats because its has been the most loyal to the original "master of magic", keeping the good points that made it the jewel of a game it was, but adjusting in time where it needed to be renewed.

super71 likes this.
  4. eSmokefish

eSmokefish Devotee of the Blood Owl

DRACONIANS REIGN SUPREME! BURN THE ELVES AND THEIR PRECIOUS FORESTS!

super71 and MaruXV like this.
  5. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

Only Halflings. We'll throw our chickens to you, flying lizards.

super71 likes this.
  6. eSmokefish

My Crushers, new and old(Warbreeds), alike could use a snack on the road!
    My Flamers will return in kind, beardless Dwarf!
    THIS MEANS WAR UNENDING YOU MISBEGOTTEN ANKLEBITER! AND I WILL SMELT DOWN YOUR PRECIOUS COOKING UTENSILS TOO!

super71 likes this.
  7. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

i'm more an allied-unified victory type. want to share victory?:D

super71 likes this.
  8. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

I play mostly elves, but I occasionally enjoy tigran rogue, human warlord, dwarf dreadnought, and goblin anything. The games fun as hell and I made my own mod to that a while ago that's on the steam forums.

9. eSmokefish

What makes you think I would want to share anything anything when I can simply hoard it all for myself?!

And my fellow Draconians! Butprobablynot

super71 likes this.
  10. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

I didn't play AoW, but I did play the original MoM.

I'm old.

super71 likes this.