General rules to be successful?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by edmek55555, Feb 14, 2017.

1. edmek55555

edmek55555 Devotee of the Blood Owl

Does anyone have any rules of thumb to improve at the game? I have heard "don't cast spells unless it will kill something or prevent one of your units from dying" and "always deploy a champion if you can" is there any other general rules anyone can provide? Maybe some advice on when to play equips or anything else you can think of

2. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

3. Dolcebrodude

Dolcebrodude The King of Potatoes

Friendly Quit The Savage Tundra Player

4. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Live every day as if it was your last.

Never take no for an answer

5. Ballballer

Ballballer Chief Antagonist

dodge ballballer

DiCEM0nEY and MaruXV like this.
  6. edmek55555

Ah, no ones afraid of that scrub

7. Somnolence

Somnolence The King of Potatoes

but no means no

8. DiCEM0nEY

DiCEM0nEY I need me some PIE!

workout everyday
    workhard everyday except the weekend
    go to church on sunday
    follow traditional values
    own a gun and protect what you want
    bully others around you
    hit your gf if she is disrepsectful, but only in a loving way.
    learn as many languages as possible

~

Pox: Only play for fun, and do not play frequently
    Enjoy the game, do not let the game enjoy you.

9. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

Positioning is the biggest thing to learn in pox.

not spamming spells is a nice bit of advice but until you learn a single ap spent the wrong way can mean the difference between winning a font and losing a champion, and more importantly all the ways your opponent can kill you so that you can recognize when to avoid those moves no tid bit odd advice will really make much difference.

You learn this stuff by playing hundreds to thousands of games

Etherielin, SPiEkY and Ballballer like this.
  10. Ballballer

I've always said positioning is thing that separates the good players from the great ones and that it's the most important thing.

Kthx disagrees

Don't be like Kthx kids

11. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

I mean, if you can be as good as Kthx, be as good as Kthx. But ya I think positioning is the thing that separates me from being the best player I can be.

SPiEkY likes this.
  12. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

I remember when kthx told us this in that guild we had quiet a while ago.

To be fair he had a good argument, for people who have no idea, he argued that positioning is trivial. As in past the very basic stuff (basic to top players.) such as avoiding double tap and not grouping AOE 2 etc. It wasn't that big of a factor.

He's not wrong, the problem is he referred to it as trivial positioning, so most people would simply assume he ment positioning didn't matter at all.
    I don't fully agree with him, but he definitely had a some points I agreed with.

Etherielin and Ballballer like this.
  13. edmek55555

most games tend to have that issue. People focus so hard on one point and everything else in someones game lacks. On the flip side some people trivialize something so much that it gets lost and people never reach there potential because of it. I play pool on a league and this happens constantly. Just the nature of learning games I suppose

14. Ballballer

I miss that guild

15. Hierokliff

Hierokliff I need me some PIE!

If you did watch your game after, where did you win/lose the game, what did you do right/wrong...
    Tweak your bg alot, copy it and remove what you didnt use and try out other runes.
    learn the abilities of your enemy, check his units when he deployes them/when its his turn, dont waste time doing it when you should be moving.
    if you are going to put down runes and move this turn, do it in the right order :)

i miss Kthx, he was a super fs player that killed everything and not afraid to use odd runes that others thought where shoebox

16. calisk

you can often see during a game exactly what could of been different. keep in mind the 5 tile spell range and the 7 tile spell range for flyers. the next time a champ is killed from a spell ask yourself would this of played out nay differently had I been standing in X tile, sure my champ would of likely still died but where would his champ need to be to do it, did it force him to over extend allowing you to counter attack easily, maybe he spent too much ap to reach spell presence to cast that spell nd now he can no longer double attack on a back swing, maybe the spell would not of worked at all.

for me very often I can see my mistakes immediately after I make them and if you see me surrender early it's often out of frustration with my own positioning mistakes, or I consider my experiment a failure.

I often experiment with different tactics to test my boundaries against different bg's and players. for example how much nora i can afford to spend on spell against sl, or more importantly against "insert popular sl players name here"does he typically run cancel magic, is he the type of player that stores nora for power turns or leaves it all on the board, what tactics does he use for his power turns, and how good is his positioning game. If i stall the game how likely is he to be aggressive and walk into traps, if i'm aggressive how good is he and his deck at handling that scenario, is he the type of player and bg that can handle having his forces split.

to be honest I often lose against new decks and new players I face because I simply don't know enough about how they play to adapt my style to them

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  17. NevrGonaGivUup

NevrGonaGivUup I need me some PIE!

absolutely barbaric.jpeg

Etherielin likes this.
  18. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

lol

19. calisk

Sad but true, I honestly sucks against new things, I play defensively which requires you to know what they can do

As a player I really am not that good I've just played so many games so few things are new

It's why I don't disagree with players that say I suck

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  20. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Positioning
    As mentioned, this is fairly fundamental. I do agree with kthx in that most of it is fairly "trivial." Most players will pick up the basics fairly quickly, and while positioning can make the difference between a good vs a great player, it's one of those cases where there is great diminishing returns at the top end.

Awareness
    A lot of it will just come down to experience and recognizing patterns (i.e. this is a situation where the other player is likely to be using X or Y rune). There is no real way to "teach" this other than by experience, I think, as it is always a variable set of factors.

At the lower levels, the pendulum can swing back and forth, but I'd posit that most games are actually lost one or two critical turns at the higher levels of play. This is because between 2 players who make few mistakes, once an advantage is obtained, it can be difficult to overcome. At lower levels of play, many players will not even recognizing they have an advantage. And that's part of awareness too - understanding when/where on the board you have an advantage and can press, and when to back off or wait for a better opportunity.

Deckbuilding
    This section will be a bit meandering, because I want to talk some Pox history.

I think that with kthx and shaz and some of the other old school players - their board play were likely not that much better than everyone else - but in many cases, these players put themselves ahead from the start with superior deckbuilding.

We saw this recently when kthx returned for a couple of months and started playing all kinds of stuff people weren't playing. Why is this? Is it just because he was messing around and didn't care if he was using bad runes?

Absolutely not. Again, with some of these players, their mindset for deck building is different, and also comes from a different era of Pox.

To explain a bit, let's back up a bit. For those who do not know, it used to be that players had much finer control over the individual nora costs of each unit. Each champion had a base build, and you could add stats to it (which would use up some CP and increase the nora cost). Abilities worked the same way. While for most players, there were standard builds, part of the skill of deckbuilding in this era was actually the entire structure of the deck to ensure a good flow of deploys - this is similar to mana-curves in MTG or similar things in other card games. By focusing on efficiency and deploy flow, a player like this only has to play as good as the opponent and leverage the deck advantage he already had.

In contrast, nowadays, the game (and players) are much more focused on inter-rune synergy rather than individual champion efficiency. It has meant that this older style of extreme focus on nora cost curve is much less impactful as a deckbuilding tool - because the synergy between runes can theoretically make up for inefficiencies.