Over efficient champ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by limone1981, Feb 16, 2017.

1. DiCEM0nEY

DiCEM0nEY I need me some PIE!

Counter melee is one of the best skills to have in ud because of bonus.

2. GoldTiger

GoldTiger I need me some PIE!

Counter-ranged would be better in this case. Despite how tanky my Moog/Fishkisser/Enforcer is, I still don't want them anywhere near most buffed UD units. Hence ranged units can safely pick them off. If you don't want melee near it, and can't get ranged to attack it, that would be a far better use of the bonus.

I don't see much of an issue with this rune, other than the ally UD giving it 58hp/60nora.

3. chris0024

chris0024 I need me some PIE!

I've pointed this out before as well, but people seem to insist on pointing out how many nerfs it's gone through and how inefficient it is as a "champ"

If you look at it as a spell it's pretty freaking good.

@Ballballer I can't see your quote on my post, but this is in response to your bile zombe post

DiCEM0nEY likes this.
  4. DiCEM0nEY

It already does more damage than most ranged champions for a similar cost. On an early deploy , there's very few ways to deal with it. You might lose a font or an expensive melee unit. UD spells can also sac and ret it, making it even more dangerous.

Hard to say if just the ally ud will be enough.

5. edmek55555

edmek55555 Devotee of the Blood Owl

Only if you are playing someone who reaaaaaally can't adapt. Bile zombie is so easy to deal with in most situations but for some reason most people refuse to spread their units or use range. If you don't adjust a lot of runes will wreck you. Bile zombie is no different

6. DiCEM0nEY

To play devil's advocate, are you calling bile zombie useless? Or that good players will never lose to bz?

7. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

It's true that in situations where it effectively functions as a spell, it's really good, no question - but it is quite rare where it is ACTUALLY that close to a spell.

There are 2 aspects to this though - one is that if it were a spell - it'd be useful in a lot more situations and be much more likely to be able to do its thing - for example, imagine a Call of the Tundra variant that summons a Bile Zombie - it would CLEARLY be VASTLY superior to the real Bile Zombie (assuming similar or slightly higher cost). This tells us that the restrictions of it being an actual champion isn't meaningless.

The other aspect is, of course, that there is really only the one deck in which it resembles a spell in most situations, and even then only mid to late game.

This isn't to say the rune is bad even in those context, it's still really good. It's just the situation where it's MOST EFFICIENT SPELL IN THE GAME is not the normal one.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
    Woffleet likes this.
  8. Ballballer

Ballballer Chief Antagonist

you are an idiot. I've held my tongue throughout this thread, but im sorry, its true

9. edmek55555

I dare to say that outside of worms, bz is incredibly limited. Its incredibly situational. The only time its really effective is if enemies are sitting right on the edge of one of your controlled deployment zones. That in itself isn't the most common scenario.

If it is used outside of that situation its very easy to take it out with range or avoid it all together. It also has the drawback of hitting its own units if they are in the AOE, further limiting it.

Bile zombie is actually much harder to use effectively than it is to avoid. The issue is people don't like to compromise. But that is the name of the game. If you don't want to take the explosion split up or kill it from range. If you don't want to split up or use range then you have to take the explosion.

10. edmek55555

No offense baller but if you can't deal with a simple bile zombie you are gonna be replaced super quick as number 1 if there is ever a player resurgence.

11. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Keep in mind that even in situations where you "deal" with it, two things will occur:
    1. The player just spends the nora on something else and possibly exploits your awkward positioning/defense against BZ
      • You are likely to have given up something in the process in terms of positioning
    2. The player uses BZ anyway since even in situation where it's sub-optimal, one turn of Blind and 15 DMG is not terrible, depending on what it hits and what the situation is
      • Compare to other potential sources of single target DMG

Etherielin and Ballballer like this.
  12. edmek55555

All runes are like that. If you believe something wont have an effect there is no point in playing it. The single target damage isn't awful but there really isn't a reason why it should be. It gets medium damage and blind to make up for the fact it is a suicide unit and the fact that it can friendly fire. I feel the trade offs even out

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  13. Ballballer

keep going plz
    this is glorious

14. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

He's better to listen to than Dice though (in general). His train of thought is correct, just misplaced in terms of BZ.

SPiEkY likes this.
  15. edmek55555

Im all ears if someone has a legitimate argument about bz. Right now the complaint seems to be more about worms and is being placed on bz.

I really enjoy pox and I don't want it to get ruined simply because people rather the nerf hammer come down on something than learning how to play to it.

There are a lot of cards that are powerful in certain situations. Mucker, imp strangler, rip demon, farcrags Tardigrade, anything that has one with nora, if it starts becoming a trend that anything that someone had a bad experience with gets a nerf than this is going to quickly take the game back to Sony days

16. chris0024

chris0024 I need me some PIE!

I am aware that BZ really only shines in the worms racial, but it just so happens that worms are one of the strongest late game themes in the game. You're justifying it's strengths by the weaknesses it has in other areas and that's fair, I get it, but to be able to bypass cooldown limitations suffered by spells of the same price because it is a champ and therefore benefits from the worm racial is a huge advantage that is not difficult to get to during a game. This leads me to some other questions about this unique situation with BZ...

How do we nerf a champ that is so so in other bgs but terrifying in a single bg?

Will it be a bigger issue once more players arrive during the PS launch and therefore more players are playing the worm bg?

Do worms give you the creeps like they give me the creeps? :eek:

Etherielin and Ballballer like this.
  17. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

No it won't, most people suck ass at works and can't play it for Bane Shift.

edmek55555 likes this.
  18. edmek55555

That's the thing. Why nerf a so so champ just because in combination with something else its useful? The issue is more or less with necrosis than it is bz. If you modify necrosis so the zone retracts on the worms death than its still operational without being a strong as it is now. Many things are pretty strong if they can be deployed anywhere

19. Ballballer

I am indeed talking about bile zombie in conjunction with worms (although its amazing in chop blocks too).
    The problem is bile zombie is just average in most decks and one of the best champs in the game (at a crazy low cost) when used in worms. If you want to make the argument that its a spell in worms, I would agree with you and make the claim that its the best spell in the game. The bile zombie "spell" also has a 2-3 turn cooldown and basically defines the playstyle of worms. It makes it so that the opponent has to constantly position sub-optimally once the game gets to a certain point, and even proper positioning only really means that 2 of their champs will get hit (which is still a great play for the worms player).

So what to do with bile zombie? Do you attack the worms racial itself (which is, admittedly, out of hand)? Or do you do a quick fix in the meantime that stops the abuse from happening?

20. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Just a thought, What if bile zombie was turned into a 1x1. Smaller AOE but able to get into positions others mightn't be able to