Worms Ground Zero

Discussion in 'Forsaken Wastes' started by kalasle, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Dolcebrodude

Dolcebrodude The King of Potatoes

Looks like this but I don't like it yet. Likely removing Rotmaw resulted in a lack of champion-based damage.
    [​IMG]

Lost 4 games to FS meta in various flavours but that felt more like misplays on my part. One unit that with the current BG seemed to pose a consistent problem was a Doombringer though.
    Need to get to some more playing.

2. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Doombringers are a pain in the butt. Misc Qs: Why the Goresplosion? How aggressive have you been playing? Considered 1x Bloodworm? Why no second Phanta?

3. Dolcebrodude

Goresplosion is currently replacing Grabbyhands for science as a cheaper kill spell since I found myself with units that have outlived their usefulness quite a few times. Most commonly a Maw or a WZ. Also in my mind detonating a Bile in Blockade can be cute.
    I struggle doing aggression without ED and find myself dying passively after using them up which needs correcting.
    Got no Bloodworm but looking to try one.
    Phantasmal I figured is hard to kill enough to where one might be enough and the Siren can do a bad impression of a Incorporeal font contester with the added bonus of being able to Phase out at will.

4. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

It's all about that Portal, really.

I mean, I don't think Worms should be aggressive at all, unless they are really sure about it.

5. Dolcebrodude

I meant more like potential aggression. Feels like I get to situations where my board is harmless to the opposing champions a bit too often. Or maybe I just face too many Fishkissers.
    Defensive play I feel I can do, just need to play around Pygmies harder, leaving ranged units in the open is a bit of bad SL habit since PHS kills them quite less reliably.

6. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Oh, yeah, this is a hard thing to handle, much more so after the various Surge changes.

7. Dolcebrodude

What's the reason for excluding Reaper's Blade? Seems like it could solve the lack of dps in several matchups.

8. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Uh, Reaper's Blade was in older versions of the deck, but was cut for other runes when the deck changed into its current, more defensive form (about the same time as the most recent Necrosis change). It wasn't needed because things like Eye and Bloodworm had Surge to provide the damage and threat necessary. I was just thinking yesterday about including it again, so yeah, you are definitely onto something.

In short, reason it was excluded -- cut from older lists because it didn't need to be there at the time, probably worth testing again.

9. Dolcebrodude

Double Skeletal Excavator on the UD map seems pretty hard to beat

10. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Is just generally hard to beat. Blockade does wicked things to worms -- pretty much turns off any benefit of the SDZ growth. Part of the reason I wanted to include the OTK was that it provides an out through BZ against forward-moving Blockade balls.

11. Dolcebrodude

It would be okay if there were some melee threats I could deploy to actually kill the damn Blockade things before they charged me but no fonts lead to no time for Colossus nora and Blood Fiends just get countered. Bloodworm would've been okay but 80s nora is also pretty high. I think I'm gonna try a list with more Rotmaws.

12. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

I think that the 6 SPD really hurt him, honestly. Makes Zeal worse, and ups his cost a bunch. Worms as a theme benefit more than others from low-SPD champs. Same thing goes for Putrid, although he would be pretty insanely good with 6 or even 5 SPD.

Dolcebrodude likes this.
  13. Dolcebrodude

It's still "just" 60s nora and helps growth when deployed to hold the line. Blood Fiend obviously has more hp, costs less AND has 8 ap/turn but it gets shut down by blockade and Rotty doesn't. And not a lot of FW units can do more damage for that nora.

Sometimes I feel so desperate for non-Fiend cheap beatsticks that I consider running Executioners.

14. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Yeah, I feel the same way. Part of why Rotmaw's cost hike hurt as much as it did was for precisely that reason: it filled a unique role in worms, and nothing has taken its place. I've actually been running 1x WZ to handle that spot, and it does pretty well, although its incremental taps have made it just barely cheaper (although more durable). 1x Afflicted Corpse has mainly been handling the cheaper end of things.

15. Dolcebrodude

This heretical list finally beat competent FS meta:
    [​IMG]

Since I haven't played the old iterations of worms, I had to try martyr for the first time for that meat and damage to deal with blockade guys. He did alright although Rotting Blows are a bit nerfed by Skull.
    Rotmaw and Bloodworm so far performed as more expensive and also worse Fiends. I can't justify them with the current low spread of Blockade.
    Cut Colossus because I just hated playing it. Without Colossus BCS seems less vital so it's also taking a rest.
    Siren was nice for getting kills on ranged threats and supports but really didn't help when I was getting rushed so to keep non-worm levels low I've cut her for now.
    Goresplosion helped me beat a Deafening Aura guy so it's still in for science. It's also cute as a way to generate AP for the Eyes.
    The Eyes themselves are such a monumental part of the dps, I feel, that I decided to test a Death Guard for them. Scorn is shaky but I got Tome, what's the worst that can happen...
    One thing I would recommend trying in your own list is Bazaar, been consistently good and helps in the Seism games.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  16. Dolcebrodude

Okay so I read Bile Explosion and Goresplosion, thought they wouldn't work together, turns out they do, BUT it's a bug after all. Awkward. Just imagine an actual rune in that slot now I guess. Might try Voodoo, Despoil or Ancient's.

17. Dolcebrodude

1 week, 25 games later:
    [​IMG]

edit: added worms being p1/p2 column next to maps

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    Hierokliff and kalasle like this.
  18. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

I will have plenty to say and ask once I'm back from work.

19. Netherzen

Netherzen I need me some PIE!

20. DiCEM0nEY

DiCEM0nEY I need me some PIE!

I don't understand 2x snuff. Wouldn't dead zone voodoo be better for at least one, considering how strong it is with chattering maw?