reward for pressing the action?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OriginalG1, Mar 5, 2017.

1. OriginalG1

OriginalG1 I need me some PIE!

I have noticed while playing top ranked player's, that many of these "best players" tend to play extremely defensively. Little to no engagement unless you initiate it the actions. Myself, I resort to talking smack, saying "you know you are in a fight right? Why are you setting up camp, trying to heal?" Trying to force my opponents to engage me out of shaming. (I will use google translate if they do not speak English.)

I know it is highly unlikely, because e programming it would be hard, however I would like see reward or punishment for people pressing the action or people that are turtling waiting for a counter. Possibly a plus 10 nora a turn if you have lead the engagement for 3 rounds, or a -10 nora a turn if you been passive for 3 turns, or only countered for 3 turns. Just thoughts. OG you're ********, maybe, but I hope to play my games instead of spectate them.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  2. OriginalG1

my reasoning is that in most contact sports, points are awarded for aggression, and control. Since pox dose not go to decision, granting momentum in the form of nora might be in order.

3. GoldTiger

GoldTiger I need me some PIE!

There is reward for pressing the action/stalling at the right time. It's winning.

Woffleet, SPiEkY, chris0024 and 2 others like this.
  4. OriginalG1

winning is a moment in a pox, it is not forever.

5. OriginalG1

My focus would be on on games where there are 5 turns or more with no action. I have observed games where this has happened, but i do not play these games, i would rather take a risk then die of boredom.

Hierokliff likes this.
  6. GoldTiger

You should be rewarded for smart play and not mindless rushing which you seem to be advocating for.

Etherielin and Tweek516 like this.
  7. OriginalG1

Mr. Goldtiger, if you have not engaged your opponent in 3-5 turns you are not fighting them, and you should be punished for it.

8. GoldTiger

Why? If I'm playing something like psy or jellies where I scale exponentially compared to my opponents linear scaling, why should I be punished for pushing my lategame advantage as one of my core win conditions (especially with jellies). Also how do I exactly engage my opponent. I'm not playing ST or SP where I can simply pull a unit closer to me.

On another note, on what maps does this stalling even happen. Mid font is a fairly decisive objective to take. If it's the maljara 2 font and the maljara 3 font lava with the walls around mid, then I agree its the maps fault for advocating stally play.

9. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

So basically fonts and on death nore globes?

Etherielin and Tweek516 like this.
  10. OriginalG1

When you que in you are agreeing to fight you opponent, that is why. Going back to contact sport reference there should be some kinda of advantage to pressing with momentum. If you are using jellies you should be able to set a nora weave to counter an obvious power turn. Or are you implying you need to run away and heal with your jelly regeneration+ font regeneration. Again by queing in you agree to fight your opponent, not repeatably run away turn after turn. In addition what is a plus 10 nora buff - 10 nora buff to fs anyway? you would lead an engagement for one turn and stop the buff/ debuff affect for 10 turns.

11. OriginalG1

do you even get the globes if they are all behind enemy lines? additionally if your opponent has remained passive for 3 turns i doubt there was enough engagement going on for a kill to occur.

12. Chris

Chris I need me some PIE!

better maps is the answer. good players know when and where to be aggressive.

13. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Honestly this thread is pointless. If it were two top players ending turns 5-7 times it'd be game over. One player would've saved enough nora to plan a massive power turn.

I could see how it would be frustrating for two lower players.

SPiEkY, Tweek516 and Etherielin like this.
  14. Hierokliff

Hierokliff I need me some PIE!

Problem is all synergy effect where its crazy good to keep stalling the game until you are superior. wish more buffs was turnedbased then permanent and that global damage was also reduced.
    on the other side i used to like playing dwarf phalanx, taking a few hits, healing up, and keep slowly pushing forward

15. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

x
    if you feel likethis about stalling, then you must firkin hate "combo" bgs like leviathan-seasong or ethereal pool.;)

i don't enjoy stalling games neither, but they are part of the game and they usually make you understand which is the better player. the better player will know when to retreat instead of rushing, and most of all he knows how to break a stall situation in his favor.
    in all games control vs control isnt a "storm of emotions" kinda match, thats normal. sure a more risky and aggressive strategy is more "enjoyable" to the viewer and more emotional for the player. but still, good players don't like to take unnecessary risks.

16. Schmacko

Schmacko I need me some PIE!

Don't center font maps kind of already do what you're suggesting. If you take the center font and your opp decides (s)he can't contest and decides to turtle/camp/regroup you're being awarded more nora per turn.

17. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

I think you would have better luck asking for mechanics and abilities that force your opponent into action rather than the nora thing

18. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

Temple of Brutality- While this unit is in play, each champion with a basic attack loses 5 HP at the end of their turns if they did not make a basic attack on their turn.

It would be like giving everyone Impatient but without the positive AP Gen aspect.

Kampel and OriginalG1 like this.
  19. Dolcebrodude

Dolcebrodude The King of Potatoes

Dude, this + Chopping Block. Dude.

Kampel likes this.
  20. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

This really depends on the player's deck and ties into @kalasle's work on resource levels. With the exception of certain combo/gimmick decks, every deck out there has an ideal "even" boardstate, where both players have a roughly equal amount of nora or bodies on the board but one player will have an advantage due to the way their spellset or abilities scale. A lot of decks are pretty versatile in this regard but there will always be a sweet spot that you either stall out to get to or start to plan for aggressive plays once you're there. One of the more difficult skills to develop in this game is a good understanding of where both decks' ideal boards are, but those stall-out situations are most often the result of one player recognizing that they can outscale their opponent and the other player not recognizing/failing to press their current advantage.

There are a lot of top decks out there that benefit from small boards (ST meta/UD meta are the easiest ones to point to) so let's not pretend that there's a balance issue here.

MaruXV, Etherielin, Tweek516 and 2 others like this.