Player Expansion Preview/Discussion (Wrath Champions)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sokolov, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I don't think RNG 1-3 dilutes the idea, and maybe even solidifies it since it controls more spaces after an Air Drop. I don't see how that makes it a "squishy melee damage dealer" though it does increase the cost.

As for "theme that doesn't exist" it won't if there isn't support, and in this case, changing Rabid to Surge: Beast in U1 as an option doesn't seem like it prevents the champ from working the way it was originally designed, while giving an option for Beast decks if people want. But I definitely do see how it doesn't seem like it fits.

Again tho, your design, I am just discussing :D

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  2. Sokolov

I can go back and look at my notes, but what I recall was that it got really expensive since it required so many base abilities.

3. Sokolov

Here's the original:

This is an 80+ nora champion with 6 SPD and 42 HP.

4. Sirius

Sirius I need me some PIE!

82 nora, I believe.

Ah right, that's what the problem was. I had underestimated how bad that nora-to-hp ratio was in the game.

5. Sokolov

And I also felt that with 6 SPD it'd be really rare for it actually do to the things it does, since it has so many actives and is melee. (Unlike Blackhand, which has MA so it could Leap/Attack more easily, while this is Power Attack/Execute, though Sweep being low AP would work.)

6. Sokolov

Fiddling with it, we can get to something more like:

DMG: 11
    SPD: 6
    RNG: 1-1
    DEF: 1
    HP: 47

Cost: 74

Attack: Physical
    Petrifyzing Gaze
    Portal Dancer
    Leap 3

U1: Crushing Charge (default), Seismic Leap, Glorious Leap
    U2: Unleash (default), Power Attack 3, Sweep

This probably preserves the original idea more.

themacca likes this.
  7. Sirius

Sirius I need me some PIE!

Ah, I was also fiddling with it but you came up with something faster. I like it. I'm just concerned because you're right about it being very AP hungry and I'm not sure how much of a problem that is.

Speaking of which, I would like to mention that I am not fixated on Power Attack 3, as I'm never gonna be picking that upgrade from that line. I think some damage option would be nice for the general concept, but... well this is basically me saying "do whatever you think is best with that upgrade slot I don't care because I can pick Sweep".

Also, thank you very much for doing this, Sok :D.

8. Sokolov

Unleash does help with the AP issue. Maybe Power Attack can be Impatient or some other AP potential ability.

9. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

Yeah, mad props to you sok :)

10. Schmacko

Schmacko I need me some PIE!

Sokolov, you introduced me to my new one true love, Tar Shark. As far as I'm concerned the rest of the expansion could be throw away runes #1-60 with ability set "Derp, derp, derp."

I'm sorry if I came off negative, I appreciate the hard work you've done on the game.

Etherielin likes this.
  11. Schmacko

Diamondhide Basilisk is currently a beast. I think way back when it was first released it was race: reptile. Can't remember if it was ever a dragon. Templar I'm pretty sure has always been a dragon, drak. But I mean all the armless dinos used to be dragons and are now beasts, so it's kind of just whatever you want. I just think it should be consistent. I don't know that any dragon players use Templar so I doubt they'll get upset by the change if you go beast, but I could be wrong. Conversely almost no one, except me, plays SL beasts so you're not going to upset anyone by making them dragons either.

12. Schmacko

I'm assuming goblin brain eater is race: goblin, size: small, and class: rogue (please be rogue). Is there anyway one of his anti equip abilities could be changed to a goblin thievery option?

13. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

I believe it's a goblin brain-eating dragon.

@Sokolov Could we get the artwork for that Zomballista?

14. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

I got the feeling that Basilisk Rider kinda overlaps with Basilisk Templar and Draksar Beastlord as a 2x2 Physical melee fighter with some kind of short range CC. And not only in role, any non-cyclop 2x2 unit competes for the "fat guy" slot in a bg even if its role is e bit different.
    @Sirius was your original idea physical dmg? with different element you can build something like this:

Attack: Electricity
    Petrifyzing Gaze
    Portal Dancer
    Preparation

U1: Crushing Charge, Seismic Leap, Glorious Leap
    U2: Bolt, Unleash, Sweep

So it still waits for that turn where it goes nuts and bounces to or away from battle, preparation gives it range and bolt helps with the first ap-free jump to battle once preparation dmg is built up. I think Bolt can triggers Portal Dancer too

15. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

-Your changes are interesting, In my design the komodo was gonna be a Beast/dragon what was your thoughts for picking Dragon only?
    -You brought down its attack a lot which is a good call. now it depends more from Beast/Dragon's buffs like Drive(beasts have a lot of it in the bg), SL's relics like PhalanxMarker and Guardian's treasure.
    -I didnt think it would end up this expensive :eek:
    -If this champ could be beast/dragon then imo it could make use of a nora discount by removing -1spd and depend more on "Drive"apgen and other buffs those two bgs offer.
    -My original idea was a 40 or less HP champ with access to SpontaneousRegeneration to avoid onerounding, right now it seems too good, it would end up as a ranged 60hp champ with banner, i would -10HP to -15HP so it ends up having 45+- maxHP
    -From U2 i would change Regeneration 3 for "Cooperation" so it doesnt cost that much and becomes weaker if alone, and change heal self(weird choice because it has Slothful) for Fellowship, again, to work better with buddies.
    would look like this:

Komodo Artillery (SL)
    Race: Beast/Dragon
    Class: Archer
    Size: Large

DMG: 8
    SPD: 5
    DEF: 1
    HP: 40

Attack: Fire
    Artillery Strike
    Slothful

U1: Shrinking Scion (default), Shrinking Gaze, Shrink
    U2: Cooperation (default), Spontaneous Regeneration, Fellowship

Cost: From 70 to 80

Etherielin likes this.
  16. Schmacko

I'm assuming that's a copy and paste error since the size, class, race are exactly the same as the rune above it and class: archer makes no sense for the brain eater. But I could totally be wrong.

17. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

So I know this is supposed to be an expansion with no new abilities, but it will be kind of ridiculous if tar shark is impeded by tar terrain. Could something that bypasses tar be added to domain: sand?

SPiEkY likes this.
  18. Sokolov

Probably difficult, but I'll look into it. We can probably just put Mountaineer on him though.

19. voodoov

voodoov I need me some PIE!

Zomballista (FW) is missing throw Zombie (like dwarven Catapult) :)

Great Stuff here!

DiCEM0nEY likes this.
  20. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

Looking at this again, I think perhaps he needs something a bit more than he currently has to make him worth running, since he isn't bringing much to the table other than cheapness right now - which you could get with other goblins that also bring some much better tools to the field. He does have nice anti-equip options though.

I'm actually pretty surprised that such crappy stats with fairly crappy abilities are worth as much as 56. I guess the 7 speed hurts him, which is a shame since it becomes hard to run cost efficient 7 speed champs, but maybe he needs to go down to 6 speed to make him more of a throwaway.

My original design had him with precision which would combo with brain eater and the globe-abilities to make him a finisher champ, but I guess that is 4 nora.

Something like this maybe:

Race: Goblin
    Class: Brute
    Size: Small

DMG: 6
    SPD: 6
    DEF: 0
    HP: 45

Cost: 52 - 56

Attack: Physical
    Brain Eater
    Pilfer

U1: Dead Eater (default), Fading Light, Forage
    U2: Reckless (default), Liability, Vulnerability: Psychic

This way there he is cheap enough to be disposable, but also has somethings going for him -- Pilfer: which is a really flavourful ability in goblins (using the opponents stuff against them is their thing), and fun to use, but is (overly) expensive so not taken when it is on an upgrade choice with other stuff. Dead Eater, which can be used for ghetto nora gen.