left wing vs. right wing fist-fight

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by newsbuff, Mar 24, 2017.

1. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

What I think it says is that there is a genetic component to race. How large a role it plays in the vast differences observed between racial fates across time and modern racial performance gaps remains to be untangled.

2. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

In terms of actual genetics, it points to evidence of a few branches of humanity that predates modern definitions of race and that terms like "Italians" and "French" are largely meaningless in terms of genetics.

3. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

I'm not aware of any serious scholar of genetics thinking that there is such a thing as an italian or korean "race." Those are nationalities. And many of our borders are brand spankin' new.

4. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

that's the astamir i know and love! keep it up, buddy!

5. Sokolov

Exactly. Human defined boundaries are all relatively new compared to genetics, which ignore most of that as shown.

This includes things like skin or hair color, etc. which are commonly used as markers for race by many. I mean, just look at all the variations that are possible within the Indo-European group - you would certainly have to concede there is more than one "race" in there.

6. Sokolov

Is race biologically meaningless?
    First, it is essential to point out that 'race' and 'ethnicity' are terms without generally agreed-upon definitions. Both terms carry complex connotations that reflect culture, history, socioeconomics and political status, as well as a variably important connection to ancestral geographic origins. Well-intentioned statements over the past few years, some coming from geneticists, might lead one to believe there is no connection whatsoever between self-identified race or ethnicity and the frequency of particular genetic variants. Increasing scientific evidence, however, indicates that genetic variation can be used to make a reasonably accurate prediction of geographic origins of an individual, at least if that individual's grandparents all came from the same part of the world. As those ancestral origins in many cases have a correlation, albeit often imprecise, with self-identified race or ethnicity, it is not strictly true that race or ethnicity has no biological connection. It must be emphasized, however, that the connection is generally quite blurry because of multiple other nongenetic connotations of race, the lack of defined boundaries between populations and the fact that many individuals have ancestors from multiple regions of the world.

Francis Collins
    Director of the National Institutes of Health and led the Human Genome Project
    http://www.nature.com/ng/journal/v36/n11s/full/ng1436.html

NevrGonaGivUup, newsbuff and Geressen like this.
  7. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

pffffffttt, @Sokolov ruined the thread by posting a reasonable thing.

8. Sokolov

I would never do that.

9. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

Wouldn't it be great if there were only 1 breed of dog and 1 breed of cat, all with a plain brown coat and brown eyes? That would be so beautiful.

Wouldn't it be great if there was only 1 type of tree, with the same color and size leaves?

Wouldn't it be great if there was just one song? We could just mix all songs together and just all listen to the single combination, instead of having distinct songs.

Wouldn't it be great if we all mixed together and formed one race, all with brown skin and brown eyes? The world would be so much better.

10. Sokolov

How is any of that relevant to this discussion?

Don't conflate someone arguing that race is not well defined scientifically or genetically as someone arguing for uniformity.

These kind of things is exactly why these sort of discussions degenerate. Instead of discussing the actual points people go off on a tangent and make ridiculous statements to try and ridicule the other side. This is often times when discussing politics you just have both sides screaming "racist" and "SJW" at each other and pretending the other side is made up of 100% morons - because it's easier to do this than to actual discuss the issues.

NevrGonaGivUup, Geressen and BurnPyro like this.
  11. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

this thread is 1/3 nuts 1/3 cool and 1/3 boring (in no particular order)

SPiEkY likes this.
  12. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

Nobody's doing that. I'm changing topics, as has been done numerous times in this thread. Don't get so defensive!

Obviously nobody here thinks miscegenation is morally wrong or should be illegal, yet I think there's a case to be made for deliberately preserving distinct racial groups via mating strategy and social pressure to marry within your ethnic group. Obviously, as a race traitor myself, dating a latina for 2 years now, my primary concern isn't preservation of my race. Yet, I think it's a worthwhile topic to discuss.

13. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

:rolleyes:

oh internet, never change

SPiEkY likes this.
  14. Sokolov

EDIT:
    Actually, nevermind, I'm out.

I should know better than to engage with "Don't get so defensive!" If you want to talk seriously about a subject, let me know, but this Bane Shift gets old.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  15. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

he wants everything to be the same cause he is secretly ashamed of his mexican girlfriend

HEYO

[​IMG]

see how that works

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  16. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

did you even read this thread? what on earth made you think it was a "serious" thread lol

17. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

it's hard to distinguish troll vs reality sometimes

for a number of reasons

18. Sokolov

Did you even read this thread?

It may have started as a joke, but I only came in when the discussion turned to an interesting topic and citing scientific papers (you yourself even took that part and posted it elsewhere in a more serious manner, right?).

And so if you want to turn thread back towards jokes, that's fine. I am not going to participate, that's all.

Not sure why this is hard to understand.

Of course, you seem confused yourself as to whether this thread has "worthy" things to discuss or if it's just a joke:

Geressen likes this.
  19. Sokolov

Anyway, this is just dumb now, so peace.

20. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty