kf split bonus/font bonus

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by calisk, Apr 10, 2017.

1. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

so....a large amount of kf units have 5 speed.

which is fine in FF with the spd boost but it's really restrictive for split decks, and let's be honest pox is all about the splits atm

normally I would say factions aren't built around their FF Bonus, and in the times a rune is built around the bonus they still pay according to the cost calculator so it's no big deal, but in this one instance it's really stepping on the toes of kf/X decks.

anyway I have no idea if theirs an answer to the issue, but the best solution would probably be to give kf champs +1 sped across the board and change the FF bonus to something else. perhaps - 4/2 extra nora from fonts FF/split respectively, though it's just off the top of my head theirs likely a better option.

2. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

Please no. KF split bonus is weak in splits, (think its underrated but w/e) but that's okay. Sometimes the FW bonus can be weak in splits.

Changing the KF bonus would require so much work to so many of champs. Not worth it IMO.

I mean, I think its fine as is, but if people really want to buff it wouldn't +2ap cap be an easier change?

3. calisk

well first the fw bonus might not do much in splits but it's not leaving the champs drastically less effective in splits like the kf one does....or more accurately the design of the kf champs does.

second we've been through this before when they removed the ap bonus from IS and ST.

about 40 champs in the factions get +1 speed most likely the 5 speed ones and the ones that were designed around 7-8 speed, and we move on. it wasn't a big deal then and wouldn't be a big deal now, if he wants to take the easy way out, just +1 speed every champ in the faction, then in terms of speed anyway they'd be no different then they are now, and the nora gen from the new bonus would help pay the cost difference in units.

kf would arguably end up in a better position then when they started and their units would be great in splits.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  4. 5amb0

5amb0 I need me some PIE!

It is rough to split KF b/c of the 5 speed units. However giving +1speed to every champs seem excessive. Typically the 5 speed champs are thematically designed to be played in FF kthir. Ie, aurora inspector, conclave warden. Imagine a 6 spd Aurora inspector ran with deep elves giving Ud +2 ap on engages with the clues, it'd just be too strong. The only reason we don't see it now is bc of her 5 speed making her useless in a split but strong in theme. same with split wizard deck with conclave boosting 5 speed keeps her from being abused bc shes totally useless, aside from boost, with 5 speed. who else even has 5 speed? colossal boa? (just abuse different beasts) dryad? (maybe 6 speed on her would be nice so she could find a role in naria/ud split treefolk) bard? (Ran in pretty much every meta FF KF deck, so a +4 nora could shoebox him FF) Advocate, dreamer? (split fairies? they're already OP) vashal enchanter? (could be nice with 6 speed, but then you got a 7 speed grant telporter in vashals with 5-6 range ****in errybody up) tortuns (who dont benefit from the FF speed bonus anyways thanks to stability) a couple more that I missed. I understand that some champs are designed with KF bonus in mind and thus have less speed, which can get frustrating when trying to use these champs in splits. However there are plenty of champs in other factions that are tough to split with, maybe not for speed reasons, but thematic reasons. Seems like the low speed helps keep them unified in theme. Im probably biased tho bc i prefer to play themes.

Also the font bonus is nice. mobility fits KF well, and if you're splitting, why not just change avatar to get a different font bonus? (BC kf avatar super strong, i know)

Anyways, lmk what youn think

5. calisk

Inspector is actually one of a few units I wanted in my deck.

Essentially wanted to do a kf/st wizard deck in prep for the new kf/st wizard unit with frost cone.

Then realized a large number of the best kf wizards are 5 speed more then that though I than looked into kf/st Rangers and had similar results.

The font bonus in KF is fine only brought it up because changing it might be part of the way to find a solution to the speed issue but honestly I doubt it. The suggestion I put forth is about the only way I can imagine fixing kf splits without causing any other issues

6. GemmaXylia

GemmaXylia Forum Royalty

Could the split bonus be like vitalise? FF is +1 spd and split is +1 spd to base spd of 5 or less?

I feel like this has been argued for years but everyone is always against buffing KF, it's weird to see someone who isn't classified as a KF zealot wanting to buff our bonus haha.

7. calisk

That split would be a good answer honestly

8. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Or just don't run the 5 speeds

9. calisk

That is the option we currently have.

Ignore some of the most interesting rune designs because you can only have so many low speed units in a deck and not draw lose.

As good as that sounds a more appropriate split bonus sounds more appealing and honestly the split bonus suggested by gemma makes me want to look over some 5 speed st units and give them a second consideration.

That's the sign of a good split bonus, if it brings champs out of the box and into decks then it's a positive change

10. OriginalG1

OriginalG1 I need me some PIE!

thank the lord Elven Ancestor is a shaman then.

11. calisk

I want her to be a wizard she'd be perfect in the kf/st wizard deck this new bear is opening up.

To sokos credit he makes most of the split kf runes 6 speed

12. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

Just make it that split bonus gives +1 spd/+1ap every other turn. Easy.

13. Yaersulf

Yaersulf New Member

While we're on this topic, did you know that if you make a full KF Tortun deck they get less than from a KF split because they can't gain the bonus speed due to having stability? Kind of weird considering that that's one of the factions that they are.

Tweek516 likes this.
  14. themacca

intentional. Nobody ran it in a split as intended because they were using the KF faction bonus to somewhat negate ponderous.

15. Tweek516

Of course its intentional, but its also a very stupid decision that doesn't make any sense.

16. themacca

it makes plenty of sense. They had an idea of how they wanted them to be played, it wasnt played that way, they forced you to play it that way.

17. Tweek516

It was a clumsy, lazy, quick fix. If they wanted them to be played in splits why allow them to be played in FF in the first place, instead of this awkward position where you can run them split of FF FS.

Just a stupid decision.

18. themacca

so you'd prefer they not be runnable in full faction than them not recieve the benefit of being in full faction? Thats a bit odd

19. calisk

ya not fond of having tortuns no FF bonus because of poor design, even if it was intentional bad design

Tweek516 likes this.
  20. Tweek516

What I would prefer is that they would choose a direction and stick with it, not have this clunky half half thing that they have ATM, where KF tortuns are the only split faction theme you cannot run FF.

Make it so they have to be split, or give KF torts a faction bonus. Pick one.