What's really scaring away the new players

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GemmaXylia, Apr 11, 2017.

1. GemmaXylia

GemmaXylia Forum Royalty

Capture.PNG
    Okay so I made an alt to play some worms on because my rating is too pretty to lose a tonne of games with something I am bad at playing (a.k.a isn't OP enough for me).

And this is what you find in the mid-ranks when people think they are better than they are and get so rude when they're losing. This is coming from the guy who is playing a pretty annoying playstyle himself (3-4 KF adaptive champs and then a tonne of spell spam). He also just beat me the game before so shouldn't be that bothered anyway..

Why is it against the rules to blacklist other players on the forums but it's totally fine for people to talk like that? Calling people out when it's deserved shouldn't be a crimeeeeee (Also people are really rude/trolly to others on the forums anyway but that isn't as bad as blacklisting? The internet is weird and confuses me.)

2. dsjtheman

dsjtheman I need me some PIE!

I really wanna hear him rap. I bet hes great. Even better, Ill beat box for him. :p

Vote Kanye 2020 and SPiEkY like this.
  3. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

I just want to say that I love that you crossed out his name all over the place and then circled it in the bottom right.

On a serious note, I agree. As an in-game mod I can do something about this sort of behavior when it happens in the lobby but players like Kernok only ever talk in the in-game chat and usually (at least in Kernoks case) disconnect immediately afterwards so even if I wanted to mute him the point would be useless. I personally find his antics amusing when it is directed at me but for a new player that doesnt know about him it can be off-putting.

4. GemmaXylia

GemmaXylia Forum Royalty

Yeah I have pretty much the same thoughts as you Markoth, I found it funny because I know to expect it from him, but very out of the blue abuse to a new guy/gal would be sucky :(

5. Hierokliff

Hierokliff I need me some PIE!

Think one problem is also that players make alts, move over good runes to that alt to test/farm rewards. But yeah some people should just be banned from the game for a month, so they learn to behave.
    I have an alt, but i never play rank with it, just some daily skirmish or testing some skirmish or a training PvP against it to test out a combo.
    Its kinda silly watching some playing vs their alts in rank game to get rewards, not all are obvious.

imo its worse with ppl rankfarming with alts for "phr33 runz" then cursing .-p

6. GemmaXylia

GemmaXylia Forum Royalty

Haha, I see what you did there! :p

You level up quicker playing ranked games which gets the shards/rune rewards quicker, and I never imply/say that my account is new, it's a weirdly specific name so kind of obvious it's an alt I think!

7. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

YO @Senshu thoughts on just perma muting kernok? Literally does this every single game he plays.

Alakhami and Kampel like this.
  8. Hierokliff

Hierokliff I need me some PIE!

But the most annoying players are the bug abusers, if someone reports that illusions+pounce bugs there are so many using it after a few days. atleast i dont care about rank so ill just hit surrender when they start use bugs.

9. Axeraiser

Axeraiser I need me some PIE!

kernok is a notorious rager

10. GemmaXylia

GemmaXylia Forum Royalty

That shouldn't be a thing. He should have received warnings/mutes/perma-mutes.

11. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

Maybe I'm just jaded, but having a stranger hurl non-specific insults at you is just part of the online video game experience imo. I'm actually surprised it doesn't happen more frequently in pox tbh.

darkpally5, DiCEM0nEY and SPiEkY like this.
  12. Axeraiser

Dont be so sensitive, this is the internet.

xRugolth likes this.
  13. GemmaXylia

GemmaXylia Forum Royalty

You obviously don't understand where I am coming from, I don't care about what he actually said, i'm not personally offended. But in a game with a small community to begin with you need to put across the correct message. A new guy who's making mistakes and getting called out on it with aggression/obscene language or chastised when they beat someone by having to deal with the abuse afterwards, probably isn't going to stay around.

Tweek516 likes this.
  14. Axeraiser

I understand the premise for your argument, however I think you are exaggerating somewhat. Any new player gets a very warm welcome both on forums and In game whenever they ask for help. If people quit a game everytime they faced a rager literally no one would play any online game. People arent that sensitive.

15. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

Kernok is too much fun to ban. Seriously, I get that for some people he could cause offence, but a lot of us enjoy watching him explode over his keyboard.

JaceDragon likes this.
  16. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

Kernok does that to everyone. He called me a bunch of slurs for beating him with Faeries once. Might have been a Public Fae deck on top of that, I don't remember anymore.

17. GemmaXylia

GemmaXylia Forum Royalty

Meh I disagree, played for 8-10 years or so and never had an alt but now that DoW don't work and the new packs aren't released it takes an eternity to actually get enough gold to buy a pack. Levelling a different account through to BM is much better in terms of gold and runes generated. I make no indication that my account is new and not an alt, I will FQ someone if they want to. I'm also really bad at playing works because it's a weird play style so lose quite a lot anyway, my deck isn't optimised really either I just threw in what I had.

You can say what you like but losing to my alt where I will have a friendly chat with you during game, answer questions or potentially give tips if they ask or make an easy to correct mistake is gonna be far more easy to take than having kernok (who's probably played about as long as me anyway he's been around forever) explode in what appears to be teen angst that hasn't seemed to have left him through adulthood.

People don't like waiting 30 minutes to get into a game either. Being matched with my main with a bm logo and 2.3k rating is gonna make a new guy scared anyway. They'll play worse because they are expecting to lose and it's a lot of pressure going against someone who (statistically by looking at rank alone) is one of the strongest active players. (No I'm not claiming I'm the best or one of the best or whatever you are going to insinuate I'm claiming, I have an OP bg and I've played long enough to have a decent level of gameplay that's all.)

Hierokliff likes this.
  18. profhulk

profhulk Forum Royalty

I have heard much much worse in Portuguese and Spanish from LVL and Brazil players. Flaming is part of any game. My solution is the first thing you should teach new players is how to use the ignore function. >>>>>/ignore add<<<<<< use it.

Kernok's temper tantrum's are delicious. I enjoy each and every one of them please don't ruin this for me.

19. Ballballer

Ballballer Chief Antagonist

I tell this story everytime people complain about kernok.

The last time he ever spoke to me was in a game awhile ago. I was kicking the crap out of him and he was hardcore raging. Then I told him "I hope you bury your children." He stopped raging, complimented me on my insult, and then promptly proceeded to disconnect and never speak to me again.

#shouldifeelbad

MaruXV, davre and Alakhami like this.
  20. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

also 12drakula is a famous rager. i always wonder where these raging guys find the patience to learn pox... lol is more suited to them ^_^ or cod

mortal ix, Hierokliff and Ballballer like this.