Design Discussion: Upgrade "Packages"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sokolov, May 6, 2017.

1. aseryen

aseryen I need me some PIE!

This is something that I was thinking of as well, is we can have our shrines dictate what our classes identify as that would be more flavorful imo, rather than relying on the released rune to be the warrior type or paladin type you want to play.

Of course keep themeatic instances around such as how Constructs are not Paladins.

2. Elves Rule

Elves Rule I need me some PIE!

Yes, buff ambling frond.

Etherielin and aseryen like this.
  3. aseryen

So idk how sets and upgrade lines are going to work together, are they going to all be the same, some grants STATs or a handicaps or will they be straight ability lines. Idk I'm just going to suggest what I think makes sense and is simple for me.

U1: Stats
    U2: Sets

Sets seem like an obscure way to have the player get class choices and ability choices. For me if Demi-Gods and Heroes were to be used it makes more sense to toggle which class(es) I want to add, considering that hunter abilities exist and can effectively be built to shut out one specific Hero/Demi-God.

I personally want upgrade lines and sets to be separate so that only when I chose an extra class do I have access to that set; at 300cp I get access to Sets for example. Perhaps allow Stat boosts if a player doesn't want to add an extra class.

4. aseryen

hmmm...how about 4 sets for each Aspect of that runes faction? Not all runes need to have 3-4 options for sets, some could have as few as 2, or just 1 for the extra class option. Having Sets tie into something concrete from the game that is larger scope than specific abilities is also easier to learn for new players.

Demi-God:
    Ambling Frond of Life
    Ambling Frond of Growth
    Ambling Frond of Divinity
    Ambling Frond of Infinity

Life - Paladin/Monk/Priest
    Growth - Shaman/Bard/Druid
    Divinity - Knight/Ranger/Wizard
    Infinity - Warrior/Archer/Tinkerer

That leaves Brute/Rogue/Witch which I have no comment or suggests on atm.

Sarinda of Doom - Eradicate
    Sarinda of Violence - Reconstruct
    Sarinda of Death - Corruption

That imo is much easier to remember, even more so if I can choose which ability my Demi-God of Doom can have as a select ability. This would be gained by reaching a certain Shrine lvl so that 'oh hey, you've contained your factions Aspects and have now harnessed their powers, here you go' and then later on for more interaction with 'Sets'(Aspects) the player can choose from a list of approved abilities that their Demi-God of Doom may gain.

This way playing FW accumulates points (giving direction for the player) to further allocate(to choose) which ability best accompanies their playstyle. and for my final idea. Have the approved abilities rotate out and be voted on and refreshed bi-monthly as to simulate leagues/seasons.

5. aseryen

If I Reclaim Reclaims, how many charges do I get?

6. DiCEM0nEY

DiCEM0nEY I need me some PIE!

If ur going to defend excessive globals and hard counters, I'm just going to mute u.

7. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

please do

SPiEkY likes this.
  8. voodoov

voodoov I need me some PIE!

9. Regulate

Regulate I need me some PIE!

Just kind of seems like condensing 3 runes into 1 without any real gameplay benefit.

I don't mind it, though!

10. DiCEM0nEY

DiCEM0nEY I need me some PIE!

Ok cg

11. Cinder405

Cinder405 I need me some PIE!

I really like the idea but it would mean balancing issues, a load of time changing specific runes and runes becoming slightly overcosted or even undercosted..

I would be more apt to support a system where we got rid of the CP system all together and allowing champions to level up and gain new abilities in the heat of battle.

Example

I deploy an Elven Mage and it starts with it's base stats and it's signature ability such as Teleport. By spending AP, capturing fonts, contesting fonts, disengaging opponents, engaging opponents, placing relics, healing units (support) and so on champions will gain experience and learn more abilities or gain stats.

After gaining a specified amount of experience my Elven Mage will learn Magic Acolyte and or Frost Novas.

I feel like this would add a very interesting aspect to the game. It actually makes you use the champion to meet it's full potential and makes the gameplay that much more rewarding.

You can still keep the tokens. Players would be able to in game decide to to either deploy the champion without experience or use tokens won from tourneys, bought from packs, purchased with gold etc. To skip the grind for the match only.

One thing to note with this idea is that experience would not carry over to the next march etc. It would reset with each match to keep thing interesting and fair.

Opinions? Thoughts?

12. eSmokefish

eSmokefish Devotee of the Blood Owl

I assume it was implied that this would be for PvE modes only? Otherwise the cries of P2W would destroy us all.

That aside, not much of a fan of leveling mid-match myself. I'd leave such things to DotA/LoL.

As for the original topic of 'upgrade packages', I think it is a nice idea, and something I'd love to see on Heroes and/or other lore characters/entities.

Cinder405 likes this.
  13. Cinder405

Cinder405 I need me some PIE!

I can definitely understand your concern. Thanks for your insight.

14. aseryen

This is where I’m at as far as character diversity; similar to ascendancies in PoE, however I’m not sure where these should be placed in the loop as far as player retention.

Once Ascendancies were added in Path I would grind through without interacting with that system. I have still never completed a trial but play the game up to ~lvl65.

Here’s where I always considered adding some mechanic to Player lvl/Rank. I figured this gives a gameplay loop to follow in single player while also capping some of the new accounts trying to jump Ranked ladder. More skilled players will have allocated these Techniques before starting the match; this would create a skill gap that I think is necessary for a complex game such as Pox.

This approach is the only way I’ve been able to juggle all these variables. It’s easy enough to say they won’t be possible from lvls A-F or Rank XYZ. This makes for more emergent and chaotic gameplay absolutely but this is where I’ve been able to separate skilled play from experimentation.