[PS4] I'm A New Player And Seek Help With Deck Building

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bearhugger29, May 25, 2017.

1. bearhugger29

bearhugger29 Member

Okay so I originally posted this under the new client section but someone recommended me to post this here. Here is a list of stuff I need to understand.

- What is a good build for beginners
    - Should it be full or split?
    - How do I go about making a proper deck
    - Basically a deck that's good for me to use on bots until I get more cards before I start Ranked matches
    - Confused on the Heroic quests

There is a bunch of bugs I ran into but I wish there was a PS4 section and if mods see this, you should open one up.

aseryen and Hierokliff like this.
  2. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

- Good builds depend on your play style and which faction you enjoy.
    - Full faction often has more synergy between runes, but split has more variety of runes.
    - You generally want 13-16 champions to make sure you're drawing them consistently enough. Spells, equipment, and relics will vary in amounts based on what kind of BG you're building.
    - Heroic quests may be difficult to do starting out. You may not have enough champions with the ability that the quest requires.

As for a PS4 section, I'd recommend posting the bugs in the new client bugs area. The new client has bugs for both PC and PS4, so you may have an issue that someone else has reported, or is experiencing but hasn't reported yet.

aseryen likes this.
  3. bearhugger29

bearhugger29 Member

Awesome thank you for the help :)

4. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

You're welcome. As for specific BG ideas, check the various faction forums. If there is a particular faction that you enjoy, post in that faction's forum and ask for advice there. They will be able to provide more detailed build tips.

aseryen likes this.
  5. bearhugger29

bearhugger29 Member

Excellent I will do that.

6. Regulate

Regulate I need me some PIE!

Which bot games are you trying? I don't play Single player myself but as far as I know ...

Some are beatable by any deck and should be borderline impossible to lose

Some are actually quite hard and require specific decks built to counter what it does

aseryen likes this.
  7. bearhugger29

bearhugger29 Member

Custom game bot matches. I've managed to build a deck that is IS and I managed to win my first custom bot match. Just gotta improve on it is all. Solo games I haven't touched yet expect for the trials and that was a HUGE NO NO

aseryen and Hierokliff like this.
  8. NevrGonaGivUup

NevrGonaGivUup I need me some PIE!

If you havent already, I recommend completing all the faction walkthroughs. They're in the training menu, they provide a pre-built deck for you, and they award a full battlegroup worth of runes.

The runes that you get this way can't be traded or sacrificed, but have some legendary and exotic runes in them.

And it only takes 10 to 15 minutes per faction.

aseryen likes this.
  9. Vote Kanye 2020

Vote Kanye 2020 Better-Known Member

Just ignore heroic quests imo, most people do. The goal requirements for most of them are not viabale, perhaps they are in single player but when it comes to PvP you're almost certainly going to lose by trying to achieve them.

aseryen likes this.
  10. bearhugger29

bearhugger29 Member

Yup already have done that good sir :)

I wouldn't mind making a deck using underdepths but I have heard that it's not recommend for new players. So maybe I might stick to IS for now and just build off that. If you have any good IS decks that I can take a look it. Then I'm all eyes on that for sure.

11. NevrGonaGivUup

NevrGonaGivUup I need me some PIE!

I think you heard wrong about the umderdepths. They're widely accepted to be the easiest faction to start with, because they have an aggressive play style and everything deals so much damage. IS might be the second easiest to start with though, so do what you like.

aseryen likes this.
  12. bearhugger29

bearhugger29 Member

Oh well then UD would be awesome.

aseryen and NevrGonaGivUup like this.
  13. poxrooster

poxrooster The Pox Chameleon

IS Inquisition is the best build for you right now since it can handle just about everything. To make a proper deck, follow this formula for now: 15 champs, 6 spells, 5 relics, 4 equips. Of course, there are variations of this. Some say more spells and less relics and equips. Some say more champs. What I gave you is simple to start with. Focus on a theme you find interesting. Don't worry about winning yet. Typical themes are based on race, class, attack strategy, defensive strategy, or just meta. You may even be able to hit two of these at the same time, but I suggest you find one. Meta is almost always the best but most expensive. This game has a large learning curve.

aseryen likes this.
  14. bearhugger29

bearhugger29 Member

Okay excellent thank you so much for the info man :)

15. Vote Kanye 2020

Vote Kanye 2020 Better-Known Member

Try to get the IS walkthrough deck from training. It's a pretty decent dwarf deck if I recall, in case you don't like the Ironfist Inquisition start.

16. Hierokliff

Hierokliff I need me some PIE!

Not sure how slow/hard it is to handle champs and spells on a PS4, maybe you want less champs if they take time? its all ok to go as low as 10champs while playing vs custom games BOT's
    UD are very good, its what I did start with, and if you have already completed all 8 tutorials you have 30 UD and IS runes to try to make a 15/15 split with. I would start with only one of them though, if you can get 8 shards (sacrificing a few commons) try to forge the spell Macadamize and put it in a copy of the start deck instead of Holy Light.
    That spell is amazing for IS, it makes the ground rock and all your champs standing on it get +dmg,+def and it can cover water,lava,snow so its possible to move as you want.

Holy Light aint bad, its just that BOT place relics in so bad places you dont really have the use of being able to remove them.

17. haroldkin

haroldkin I need me some PIE!

The AI is pretty dumb and straightforward in its play style. The AI will generally rush you with each champion it puts on the board, (though occasionally divert to take a font). Let the AI come to you. Move your troops forward slowly, reserving a few AP each turn. That way, when the AI closes the gap to engage, their champions will be unable to attack that turn, while on your turn your champs will be loaded with AP and able to get off two hits.

By advancing slowly, you can amass an army of 2 to 4 champs before you have to engage the first champ sent by the AI. This will give you a big advantage, ideally allowing you to kill that champ outright without taking much damage yourself. Always try to single out one champ to kill rather than damaging but not killing multiple champs in one round.

IS is a defense oriented faction and suits very well to this play style, especially against the AI.

18. Hierokliff

Would be very interesting to see some split builds just using the free runes. ill try make an IS/UD with only the free ones and post it and explain a bit how i thought...
    upload_2017-5-25_18-7-26.png

Not tested it and not really worked on it, started with a copy of the UD deck, and removed 15runes.
    and since its a split i cant use Euan or Talgar since they are FF Heroes.
    Champs:
    - archangel of al'mara (flying melee magical damage)
    - Bloodbow infantry (ranged, thought i needed some range dmg)
    - Crusader (one of the best common melee champs, he grows for each turn he is melee...)
    - Deep Elf Infiltrator (nice to have some stealth+call of the hunter to bring friends into melee)
    - Deep Elf Priestess (old habit, used to love this champ)
    - Elemental Warstaff (very cheap allround Paladin, do 4 different damagetypes and are very very cheap)
    - Imp Alchemisth (never used but grant: action potion is very powerful)
    - Ironfist Inquisitor (could def be replaced, but hard hitting and can shield)
    - Nefari Informant (stealth+detection)
    - North cross cardinal (heal + ranged dmg, can stop healing with holy blade of valdac)
    - North cross Priestess (heal + relic aoe dmg, very very good champ)
    - Pincushion (legendary UD anti-ear unit, it eats arrows and gets stronger, use it against stupid AI ranged units)
    - Rip Demon (was just nerfed but think its still really good)
    - Vothsair Ireguard (wanted damage?)

spells
    - Blessing of Al'mara (flying is so good, and if you put it on elemental warstaff, crusader, north cross people they also get Hunter:Walker)
    - Demolish (remove annoying relics, like mines etc..)
    - Disarm
    - Earthquake (dmg all grounded units, so if your flying with bless of al'mara just hit where your troops are also if needed)
    - Fiery Ambush (burn those near the Font)
    - Hammer Strike (damage + stun your enemy, good for tough annoying monsters)
    - Maddening echoes (cant kill them? move your own troops near, and kill ALL...)
    - Mandate from Sheoul (want more dmg fast, drop it on a wounded melee unit and it gets +5dmg and if it kills it heals 25hp)
    - Retribution (cant kill an enemy superchamp, or think you will lose one of your own champs, cast this spell on your dying champ...)
    - Split Personality (never tested in Bot games...)
    - Superiority (with a split, you need to be careful using this spell so you dont hurt your own troops)

Relics
    - Celestial spear (8dmg relic, very good for dropping in fonts and hurting alot of units.)
    - Hahndor Memorial (makes near enemies Faithless so they cant cast spells on you)

Equipment
    - Granite bracers (deflects 1 attack per turn)
    - Holy Blade of Valdac (awesome sword, gives fire attack, fire burning, can be dropped for a AoE heal and picked up again, if wielded by a paladin it stops enemy healing)
    - Medal of Valor (use this on your melee unit and kill enemies, each time you kill all your troops get +1dmg, no limit on how much dmg you get with this)

haroldkin and Teardrop82 like this.
  19. bearhugger29

bearhugger29 Member

I'm going to try this out right now.

20. Hierokliff

Noticed the Crusader with the spell Mandate from Sheoul turned into a crazy monster, he had 32dmg after a bit of fighting :) the 5hp heal each turns heals the damage from the dagger so he was safe smacking of enemies on his own