Playing pox makes me Firking furious now

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Andrew Carling, May 30, 2017.

1. zer0sum

zer0sum The King of Potatoes

Thanks man. I will be handing out some super-secret promo codes for pox players when it comes around. I love this game (Pox). I really do. I'm building what I can to keep the spirit moving into the new generation.

2. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I honestly don't have a problem with it, but I don't speak for DOG as an organization :)

And I will be trying it also!

Also, just curious, are you building this yourself or are bankrolling and hired a team?

3. zer0sum

It's mostly just me. I do all the programming and stuff, and then I have a good contact list of artists to call upon as contractors. I've been paying for it out of my own pocket to date but I will do some crowd-funding in the future, and we'll see how that goes. I'm just keeping things humble and low-overhead for now, and I'll scale things up depending on how well things go.

So we'll see how the public reacts to the crowdfunding campaign and push it from there.

4. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Will card packs be the primary income or do you plan on doing skins for the sprites? I like the "paint" customization for the idols, will be cool to have all your units in the same colors. One of my only complaints about pox is the illusion that rarity=power. I have always thought it would be cool if all champions had a "common" base unit and that different skins for the champion would be the higher rarities with perhaps a unique Legendary skin. For example the Ironfist Inquisitor. She has a base rune, a Sepia LE version and an Isran version. Balance wise they are all the same but in a game like yours the base model could be Common, the "skin" could be rare and Isran would be Legendary.

zer0sum likes this.
  5. horrible

horrible Devotee of the Blood Owl

That looks rad!

zer0sum likes this.
  6. zer0sum

I have 3 main avenues for money: Packs, Vanity Items, and Solo Adventures. Packs have cards just like pox or hearthstone. I'm not doing anything particularly special with the rarity of cards compared to pox; but I'm not making the higher-rarity cards purposefully better. Generally they have skills that are more rare and so you can get some different combos together.

Vanity items are what you're talking about - reskins, unit bases, different swords and armors, things like that. These are inexpensive and sold in packs or awarded for achievements.

Solo Adventures are story-driven campaigns that reward you with Limited Edition units - the Isran reskin type of thing, plus some units that you simply can't get elsewhere. So that's the monetization plan, and it's all meant to be affordable and accessible.

Bondman007 likes this.
  7. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

Looks nice and I'd give it a try. Do I get to see any Elves in there?

zer0sum likes this.
  8. zer0sum

Ultimately! For now I've been mostly working on Humans, Undead, and Dwarves. I intend to sort of cover all of the tabletop bases with my own bastardization.

9. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

You mispelled 'potential inquisitors'

SPiEkY likes this.
  10. voodoov

voodoov I need me some PIE!

Id quite like to be on that "super-secret promo codes" list.
    Gl to this project!

Bondman007, DiCEM0nEY and zer0sum like this.
  11. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

That game looks awesome

DiCEM0nEY and zer0sum like this.
  12. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

I would love to try it too

13. DiCEM0nEY

DiCEM0nEY I need me some PIE!

That game looks really good. I hope it gets developed with themes in mind.

14. zer0sum

Absolutely. I'm going to be running a small crowdfunding campaign in the near future and start building a community of folk who want to help shape it; we have a relatively blank slate here and I think this community would be interested in weighing in and lobbying. Beyond this, I am designing the game with a few core tenets. Number one: I don't believe in nerfs or post-release alterations to cards beyond cost balancing; instead, I believe in counters. If I screw it up and make something unbalanced, then I want to be flexible enough to insert new cards rather than removing or replacing mechanics.

Two: Simplicity. Pox suffered for many years from mathematical over-complexity; even now I find myself wondering how much damage I'm going to do on a champ with 25% fire amp, or a frost cone that does 80% damage. Or why attack one is 3 ap and attack two is 5 ap rather than 4ap each. So I want to keep things simple in the math. I also want champs to be simple. No champ should have more than 5 skills on its card, and every champ should have at least 1 active and 1 passive. They can of course gain skills and so on through play; but in Pox when I see some firk gobbledygook with literally 9 abilities on its card - I know we've gone too far. So anyway. Writing a book here.

Follow me on twitter or sign up for the newsletter if you want to keep track of it; I'll also have some forums up soon. Debating on whether to integrate this all with my existing forums, start a new one, stick with Steam forums, etc. Dunno yet.

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  15. Sokolov

While I agree Pox suffered from needless increasing complexity over the years (something I have been reining in), this specific issue re: attack costs you should be careful about.

There are specific, and logical reasons, why it is this way in Pox and it is because we have to remember that SPD provides AP which is both movement AND skill use.

By escalating the cost of attacks, it limits the impact of high SPD or +SPD modifiers to scale and it also mitigates the impact of low SPD and makes lower SPD champions more viable.

Other games handle this issue by making each unit capable of one single attack at no cost, or some other resource for use of attacks.

16. Sokolov

I would also advise you to create standard templates for classes of effects early on and stick to them such as this is how AEs work: both code and design wise - unlike Pox which basically didn't have this idea and so many abilities just had their own way of doing things.

voodoov likes this.
  17. zer0sum

Yeah, it's good advice and I have been doing this. As for an attack chain, it makes sense in Pox given what ranged units can do. In my game the terrain elements can block line of sight and there is an advantage / disadvantage based on relative heights, with many spells and abilities to modify terrain as well. I do have some slower units in the game but they are generally cheap meat or heavily defended.

18. eSmokefish

eSmokefish Devotee of the Blood Owl

Huh, didn't know you hung out around this place, Zer0. And whether intentionally ironic or not your use of a 'pox clone / killer' amuses me greatly.

Just try to finish your game this time, yeah?

19. LoganMkv

LoganMkv I need me some PIE!

That's unfortunate.

Xiven likes this.
  20. yobanchi

yobanchi I need me some PIE!

I may be interested in this if it can be played on a Mac and not through parallels or bootcamp or whatever flaming hoop.

Definitely like the vanity items which I can see being expanded on. Board looks quaint.