Why this game is great

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Regulate, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Regulate

Regulate I need me some PIE!

So a lot of stuff going on is utterly terrible, and I roll my eyes at a billion decisions made by DoG and a million bugs that make up this game.

However I've played pox on and off (more off than on, probably) since 2008. Currently been 'on' since April, so only 2 months back ... but in that time I have 'levelled' 3 accounts to 2000xp and BM and had a 70+% win rate across the board.

Probably sounds like a brag but it's not meant that way, as I will finally get to my point, listing the decks i've played more than a few games of in ranked in that time:

FS:
    Meta | Merfolk | Collective | Salaman

FW:
    Skeletons

IS:
    Meta | Constructs

KF:
    Meta | Rangers | Beasts | Magic Amp

ST:
    Meta | Frost | Beasts | Ferren | Yeti

SP:
    Meta | Voil

SL:
    Meta | Skywings | Myx | Skeezick

UD:
    Meta

Split themes:
    FSST Monks | Leoss | Kanen

Not listed:
    A whole bunch of split decks varying between psuedo theme and mixed goodstuff​

That's bordering on 30 different deck types, which actually do play differently and each deck can be tweaked and messed with to a significant extent.

More importantly: Everything I played was some degree of viable and i'd happily queue up with any of them again without feeling like I was entering into a game with little chance of winning. Not only that, but there are still dozens of other decks I still want to play.

Obviously balance will never be perfect and not everything above is exactly optimal, but the fact that such a huge variety is available and playable is one of the main reasons I love this garbage game.

I'm guessing everyone else that's still sticking around this perpetually sinking ship feels much the same about at least one element of pox.

Ferehn, MaruXV, BurnPyro and 6 others like this.
  2. DiCEM0nEY

DiCEM0nEY I need me some PIE!

There is nothing else like pox on the market. Once there is, I will probably switch unless the this game gets better, or the other game sucks ass.

Also, I genuinely think DOTA2 is a really well designed game for the most part, as is league of legends - the button mashing. I'm a pretty fair person.

3. Gnomes

Gnomes Forum Royalty

True, balance is great!

4. Tubesox

Tubesox The King of Potatoes

I wish this post could be more widely spread to the consoles. It is true. I loved this game 10 years ago, and I made omg gasp noise when I saw it on ps4. Jumped on immediately. Brings me back to my tabletop game days. Just missing the social aspect. And maybe some other, errr, issues.

Ferehn likes this.
  5. nepyonisdead

nepyonisdead I need me some PIE!

An informative and constructive post?? BAN HIM NOW!!! XD

6. I noticed Ferren on the list. Is this accurate?

I'm an ex- top-50 player who recently returned. Tried to make a Ferren deck. Struggled vs bots.

They don't do any dmg without Silent master (too reliant on drawing him). Get reckt by calcify. Don't have the range priority to stall for lategame. What's the dealio?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  7. potatonuts

potatonuts I need me some PIE!

Mate its ST just spam Ice Storm and Howling Gale ;)

8. Regulate

Regulate I need me some PIE!

I played them prior to seismic leap nerf so brawler was even more ridiculous for his cost. Think I also ran a kento and AoI to help them stall.

Definitely a tier 2 not tier 1 deck though and there are a lot of upgrade choices that it took me a little while to get them right

9. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

It's the old school fantasy war game vibe that Pox captures so well. And by that I mean boardgames and miniatures games, not computer games.

If you have come from 1980's war games then pox is ALL GRAVY, irrespective of bugs, issues, and so on.

I guess if you come from modern video games, it might feel clunky.

I LOVE IT!

10. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

I agree, the greatest aspect of pox is the amount of bgs you can build and how many different ways you can play. This is largely what has kept me around for so long. Waking up in the middle of the night and thinking Bane Shift I need to make a new slam bg, haven't done one in a while. That is what makes pox great in my opinion, the ranked has always kinda been meh, but I largely enjoy making bgs people haven't tried or that are just fun.

Fentum likes this.