bitcoins vs altcoins

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by DiCEM0nEY, Jul 5, 2017.

1. DiCEM0nEY

DiCEM0nEY I need me some PIE!

they aren't stocks.

2. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

stocks are things that go up and down based on their perceived value

bitcoins only go up, didn't you know cryptocurrency is a sure thing?

Geressen and Astamir like this.
  3. MrBadguy

MrBadguy Guest

I remember when I was in high school and bitcoins were 20 or less bucks. What a wasted opportunity.

4. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

all these funny memes about these people doing research into bitcoins years ago and purchasing like 100$ worth, now having 70.000$ is pretty kek

5. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

I still like to give my dad crap because I told him to invest in Google back in 2004-2005 and he thought it was a dumb idea.

DiCEM0nEY likes this.
  6. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

one of my uncles told my parents to invest in aol way back

they didn't, and sort of regret

DiCEM0nEY likes this.
  7. Ltlelouch

Ltlelouch The King of Potatoes

I don't see the value, can someone explain?

8. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

i was pretty young when aol really started losing their grip, so my understanding of the details may be a bit off

with that in mind, i think to begin with you need to understand that in the early days of the internet, browsers like chrome or firefox or other inferior options weren't really a thing. if memory serves there was a lawsuit against microsoft for packaging in their own browser (software) with their own computers (hardware). it attempted (and failed) to split the company in two, citing monopolization

aol was one of the first big browsers. for a while i think it's safe to say it was the biggest. it was the premier gateway to the internet for most of the USA

so its value, for a good number of years, rose substantially higher than when it had first started, which was around the time my uncle recommended buying in

having said that, of course it's a risk to invest and everyone selling a sure thing is lying to you, and of course looking back now is all hindsight. mostly though i think people didn't expect the internet to start and then catch on the way it did

BurnPyro likes this.
  9. DiCEM0nEY

DiCEM0nEY I need me some PIE!

aol was always shitty, it just capitolized on people's extremley limited understanding of the internet. also netscape was big

10. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

AOL was an ISP that had a ton of its own content navigable through the software used to dial in. Many people never even used a browser. At the time the two options were Netscape and Internet Explorer. Firefox is built upon Netscape's foundation.

BurnPyro and Dagda like this.