Longsword: Pox Clone / Upgrade

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by zer0sum, Jun 20, 2017.

1. zer0sum

zer0sum The King of Potatoes

Thanks guys! I put a ton of effort into the map building and it's really, really easy to share the maps and to create your own singleplayer campaigns too.

Kampel likes this.
  2. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

are you still working on this? i linked it to a Total War: Warhammer discord the other day before i saw the canceled thing in the kickstarter header. there was definitely some interest over there (a fair number of the players have miniature-based tabletop gaming experience, and this seems like it'd appeal to them)

3. zer0sum

Yes I'm all set up for Steam Early Access. The game is pretty much done except I need to add a ton more cards. But the features and stuff are really in good shape

4. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

I can't wait to try this when I'm back in 3 weeks, looks great

5. zer0sum

6. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

now you just have to fix any issues that come up that are already being posted on the steam forums and avoid any obvious pitfalls like burnout or depresseion

good luck.

Dagda likes this.
  7. zer0sum

Heh, thanks man!

Geressen likes this.
  8. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

Wow. This is unbelievable. I remember as a kid dreaming of how cool it would be for pox to be tabletop one day. Did you do all the work by yourself? How long did it take you? Is it still possible to support the project?

9. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

If you are looking for a close approximation to Pox in boardgame format then you should definitely try Mage Wars. Very cool game.

10. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

Yes.

11. Gnomes

Gnomes Forum Royalty

What amazes me is ONE guy made the whole thing...

Also I looked at it, if it had pox art and champs I would play the Firk out of it. Also I kinda don't like the idea of their actually being a table... Ruins the emergence... If it was just a big field like in pox but with the same movability of the camera and depth...ide love it. The map that he has and the camera angle really makes you feel like some omnipotent general.

EDIT: He has the chance to make your own champion for 1000$.... now i can pox 2.0 with his client 1 rune at a time...

EDIT2: Repost from a other thread

12. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

It kinda does have pox champs though. Check youtube videos where they're demonstrated, a lot of them even have the same names, not to mention the stats that look just like the poxnora ones.

13. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

so yeah, someone has to ask this. how can you get away with making a game that so clearly rips off an existing game and not be worried about copy rights? you even advertise it in their forums! that takes big balls or else you have some prior arrangement with them?

Tweek516 and Geressen like this.
  14. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I asked this in the first thread about this? or maybe it was a double posted thread? anyways the post isn't here so I assume I broke some rule
    I am good at that.

15. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

This is probably fine under copyright. Not an IP lawyer myself, but have some professional familiarity with it. See, specifically, Title 17, 102(b):

"In no case does copyright protection for an original work of authorship extend to any idea, procedure, process, system, method of operation, concept, principle, or discovery, regardless of the form in which it is described, explained, illustrated, or embodied in such work."

The internet has, in various ways, made people think that copyright does and should extend to a ton of things, which it doesn't, and even more that it shouldn't.

The assets for DMG/DEF/SPD/RNG/HP look too close to the Pox ones though, and that could be a problem, but an easy fix.

16. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

right right blame the internet.

SPiEkY likes this.
  17. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

so you can basically 'reskin' any game? I ask because I always thought that Talisman would be a great format for a space crawler board game where your ship served as the character.

Geressen and Dagda like this.
  18. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

as long as the mechanics are not ultraspecific and the game well known.

19. yobanchi

yobanchi I need me some PIE!

I'm not a lawyer but I'll add my two cents.

To my limited knowledge it's pretty hard to have a solid case against digital copyright unless they are literally using the same assets or code to a certain percentage of overlap.

So for example if they grabbed the sprites from pox and used them or modified them only very slightly.

Now that doesn't go without saying that you could just threaten a suit to pressure them out to avoid a costly and lengthy court case even if you technically would find it hard to win.

If interested you could look up some intriguing articles on when MTGO was suing HEX.

20. Valkyr

Valkyr The King of Potatoes

I juste discovered this game and came here after seing the card stats and their icons...to see if an ex pox dev made this o_O