Game of Thrones

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by MrBadguy, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Saandro

Saandro I need me some PIE!

Magic is part of the setting. You suspend your disbelief and don't question how it happens or why there are dragons and zombies. You can't suspend your disbelief when character interactions, motivations, dialogue and actions are just plain stupid. That's such a non-argument.

Why did he messed up? It happened as if he wanted it to happen, and progressed the story in a believable way. He messed up because you liked Oberyn, and wanted him to live? Nope. How did he sacrifice logic? Please explain. How would the storyline had been stronger? And how is Oberyn a good guy?

Geressen likes this.
  2. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

Why does everything have to be an argument? I find it funny, such is my subjective opinion. The rules are mich more different than a post-apoc scenario but behaviour gets less of a pass from people.

Oberyn was okay, people are just pissy because he was only in the show for a short time before his cockyness killed him. Im sad Tyrions laughing breakdown when he realises that putting his life in the hands of "the red viper" was a mistake because snakes have no hands while they drag him back to his cell.

3. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

at least we can all agree that ozzyman's recap/reviews every week are still rad.

4. Vote Kanye 2020

Vote Kanye 2020 Better-Known Member

I didn't know he even did these. So thank you so much for showing me these. Hilarious.

MEATMAN and Geressen like this.
  5. nepyonisdead

nepyonisdead I need me some PIE!

Ozzy man is a genius no doubt but the Aussie accent does half the work for him :) same with a red neck American like bill burr or Louis ck
    They could read me a bunch of phone numbers and if still laugh

6. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Louis CK isn't a redneck, he's a New Yorker.

7. nepyonisdead

He is to me xD

8. nepyonisdead

Can I just say those 2 deserve a noble award for this Video

Geressen likes this.
  9. iPox

iPox Forum Royalty

Pro:

* Prior Seasons felt like a neverending Trailer for something GRRM never wrote. Overall the GRRM hype people seem to forget that he's great at starting storylines, but very very bad at pursuing them.
    * Finally the major characters interact with each other.

Contra:

* The teleporting annoys me very much.
    * Major Characters have become friends overnight? Quite boring. I hope Tyrion will murder Daenerys at the end of the Season.

MrBadguy likes this.
  10. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

do you know how often you need to stab someone before they stop trying to kill you back? Oberyn got cocky and it killed him'

the red wedding betrayal was also in large part orchestrated by the Boltons though, Walder would likely not have gambled on it if it was worse odds.

11. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

the way i view it, grrm tries to humanize/give independent feelings/thoughts to all the characters he has- this can make for some pretty sloppy-looking displays, like oberyn's accidental suicide. given that most of his characters have died at this point, it's getting more predictable for everyone involved

12. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

most characters have learned by now

not ****on Tarly though, he didn't deserve what happened though.

13. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

****on knew what he was choosing

aside from that, it's a typical economist's mistake to assume that everyone will behave as if they have all the data and are supremely rational

14. nepyonisdead

in both case scenarios the characters were dead anyways you split it

1. what the Firk did oberyn expect? ( I love him and wish he had made it) but lets say the mountain confessed adn died what next? go after tywin in his own Firking castle? or try to leave to get ur army and hope tywin allows u to go? Oberyn ****ed himself by coming to kings landing and there is no debating that

2. Robb stark lost teh war the second he killed lord Karstark, I mean u already dont have the men and you kill one of ur most powerful allies and divide ur armies over 2 dead Firking lannisters, and then choose to marry out of love instead of using ur brains and securing the freys/

The end point is we loved the characters but as in the real world GRRM westeros works in a simple way.... you make bad decisions or Bane Shift that makes u look good but isnt practical or smart and ull die. People are used to good guys winning in the end and thats the genius or simplicity of GRRM work.

Bonus mention: Ned stark .... tries to act like a good guy by 1) telling the queen his plans early on. 2) Trusting the one guy you know shouldnt trust after ur brothers and wifes history with him (Again just wanna say I love the character but in any real world scenario homeboy was a dead man walking)

15. Saandro

Saandro I need me some PIE!

What? It was never mentioned he stabbed him in the spine. And you don't just die instantly from a spear. Especially not if you are a big guy, and the mountain was the biggest guy known to the whole of Westeros. Oberyn got careless and he paid for it. His death progressed the story in a way GRRM wanted it to. Again, how is Oberyn a good guy? Compared to the mountain sure. But he is a shady character, cocky and arrogant and comes to KL with the intent of stirring up Bane Shift, which he does. He isn't even a POV character, and we only get to know him in some Tyrion's chapters. You sound like a shipper complaining it didn't turn out the way he wanted it.

As for the red wedding, the Starks were going to a marriage. The Freys and Boltons were their allies in the war, and fought battles with them. The marriage was meant to cement this alliance further. There was no reason to suspect betrayal. Outnumbered 3 to 1? Maybe if you discount the Bolton forces, which the Starks had no idea will betray them. Are you saying nobody trusts Walder Frey? That's just wrong, he is simply known for being cunning and calculative. And the most important reason they got caught off guard is that they thought they will be perfectly fine once they came under Frey roof and ate a bit, because of the guest right. Guests are sacred and not to be harmed once under your roof. In order to prevent people from killing each other under their roofs, and to maintain some order and trust. It's common knowledge and stressed all the time by the characters. Honestly, have you even read the books? The Freys breaking this is kind of a big deal. They are seen as evil and cursed by the vast majority of Westeros, and nobody likes them. They are bound to have bad things happen to them. (Of course, not something completely stupid like the whole family getting killed by a lone little girl). Walder Frey simply thought they had to do it, because he wanted to be on the winning side. And it's not like the Starks were completely innocent too. Promising to marry to the Freys and then breaking your promise and marrying to a minor house is a pretty grave insult. Not saying the Starks deserved it, but from the Frey POW they did.

16. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

[​IMG]

MEATMAN likes this.
  17. Phynixe

Phynixe I need me some PIE!

He was a lad...

18. nepyonisdead

Karl Fookin Tanner was the fookin legend ...the mountain who xD

19. iPox

iPox Forum Royalty

Addendum: The general uselessness of armour in the show annoys me as well. Unlike the books, were armour was highly appreciated.

20. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

true, but that is true for most tv and films.

downside of choreographed fight scenes?