Pox Nora Revamp - Preview 3

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Gedden, May 2, 2014.

1. Fikule

Fikule I need me some PIE!

Question: How do the upgrades look at level 1?

Right now I am assuming you can see the upgrades available but can't select them (little padlock image or something)

2. Zenity

Zenity Devotee of the Blood Owl

This is mostly very awesome...

However, I am a bit confused by Sonic Flight. Does that mean that all voils will have four abilities by default (five if Flight still gives sentry)? I thought you didn't like abilities which grant other abilities, but instead of reworking this you made it grant yet another ability (even if it's one which is on all Voils anyway)?

Voils are some of the worst offenders when it comes to number of abilities in-game, so this really got me worried about the ferocity of the revamp. If we'll still have champs with 5-7 base abilities who then "expand" to 10-12 abilities in game, then we really haven't gained all that much.

3. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

People asked the upgrade abilities to be on top when it was a list to avoid using the mouse wheel, now that it is not a list(you fixed that awesomely) they should go on the botton. Something like only sayd.

Zenity likes this.
  4. Zenity

Zenity Devotee of the Blood Owl

I agree with moving expansion to the bottom, I think that would look more visually pleasing. It is also meta-information which is not directly related to the functionality of the rune.

This would then allow the Race, Class, and Limit items to be split into two lines each, which might also create a more harmonious balance (and no more colon needed).

I also agree with keeping the upgradable abilities at the bottom. Moving them to the top made sense when there was a chance that you had to scroll, but without the scrolling, I think it works much better at the bottom.

Alfodur likes this.
  5. Fikule

Fikule I need me some PIE!

As a racial I would prefer Sonic Flight to have them gain the flying condition rather than the ability and simply take 25% less damage from ranged attacks (not the 20% of evasive).

Would take it down to granting just one ability. And it's not like Flight should be the only thing to grant flying. I mean, this ability is called Sonic Flight now. It's just another type of flight.

GabrielQ likes this.
  6. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

Don't you think that echo flight sounds way better?

7. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Did nobody notice they changed the borders? And by a lot at that. You see more of the picture again, very welcome. It was a ******** idea to cut off half of it.

8. only

only Active Member

actually, more and more of your posts are interesting/reasonable. so grats on that.

but another alternative would be to spread various anti-range abilities across the board.

[​IMG]

so how it would be as your suggested Sonic Flight?

"main describtion" Sonic Flight - This champion is Flying and takes 20% less damage (after DEF) from ranged attacks.

and those small ones would be to describe what is Flight and/or other abilities mentioned in describtion. so the main describtion would be always very simple and all keywords would be explained next to it.

all terms could use something like [name] (like you did in Void Rims). conditions could use different for Cleanse/Dispel purposes.

Poxbrothers and Kampel like this.
  9. WraithxxV

WraithxxV Active Member

Excelent, excelent ideas (not the last thing you posted, which I didn't quote for that reason).

As others have said, I think Sonic Flight is a bad ideas for being 3 abilities in one. How about if Voil used their sonar abilities to protect each other? For example:

Sonar
    This champion has a rank of Evasive for each other friendly champion with Sonar within 3 spaces.

OR

Sonar
    This champion takes 20% less damage from ranged attacks (max 40%) for each other friendly champion with Sonar within 3 spaces.

Would make Voils the phalanx race of SP (which they kind of already are) and build on SP's unit cooperation theme.

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  10. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

Omg yes! I would like this a lot!

11. Tomaszus

Tomaszus New Member

In my opinion that NKD nerf will kill Kas units, nobody will run them just for their kong fu kas suja abilities simply because its not that good :p

Maybe Kas units should get some other abilities or just keep old NKD only on them?

What do you guys think about it?

12. WraithxxV

WraithxxV Active Member

Everything is getting changed, don't asume that the lack of one ability will make a theme unplayable, that theme may now be going in a completely new direction.

tl dr - hold your horses until the revamp is final :)

13. Tomaszus

Tomaszus New Member

When the revamp will be online it will be too late to complain :p

14. KingJad

KingJad I need me some PIE!

I love ST but you cant make conclusions until we have the final product and we always have possible buffs or nerfs
    Edit: The new nohkan do worries me but hopefully all the other thematic abilities are toned down to a similar level (especially since I'm losing 1 ap just to possibly block an attack and do 20% of 11 damage)

15. only

only Active Member

[​IMG]

used example of Cast: Cauterize ability. I used this example for more reasons. see words like "injured" and "unit vs champion". if you go through many abilities, you might notice more of it. we need higher standard for terms. injured could be replaced with "damaged", for instance. another example would be Broodguardian (his main ability) using "created" term instead of "spawned".

many abilities are incorrect, not stating full information.

for example, Blindfire should state that it doed PHYSICAL dmg.

those colums could also use tips. maybe a specific turn on/off mode with tips. like tipo for Elusive that Precision prevents it (wins against it). or how some abilities work like turn order/direction etc.

oh, keywords "gains" and "becomes" could be used for abilities and conditions, respectively.

Last edited: May 2, 2014
    Eonix, newsbuff, GabrielQ and 2 others like this.
  16. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

It might look nice to have base abilities on the left column and upgrades on the right.

17. Indijanac

Indijanac I need me some PIE!

NKD is a really huge nerf , hope you compensate for it on those champions.
    Im fine with it but losing 1 ap ? Why ? I would rather have that 1 ap so I can double attack next turn for 100% dmg then do 20% on that turn

KingJad likes this.
  18. only

only Active Member

not sure if NKD needs a change at all. remove it from all champions, rework them with similar abilities.

otherwise, make it "racial" so it would somehow tie NKD champions.

19. Gedden

Gedden Administrator Octopi

So actually Fikule nailed a big part of this answer. Before I reinforce much of what he said, I want to make my thinking clear on ability "bundles". They are not always bad. I think Boon of the Undead is a good bundle. Undead units dont get sick, and have a natural resistance to poison. That to me is reasonable assumption to make on a whole.

Right now there are not a whole lot abilities that give flying, and that might be what makes this sound funny right now. Mind you, Flight is also a bundle, as it adds Sentry AND Flying. The idea behind Sonic Flight (or maybe Echo Flight as was suggested) is that the Voil travel by echolocation, like a bat. Sonic Flying does not add sentry like Flight does, because they are not "looking" at the battlefield from an elevated position -- as they are still blind. I also really like the suggestion of making Sonic Flight give 20% reduction to ranged instead of evasive. (Means it would stack with Evasive if we wanted it to)

DarkJello likes this.
  20. only

only Active Member

Boon of the Undead creates unfair matchups. it should be simply removed. moving away from random vulnerabilities/resistances should also be the right direction. preview stating that both: BotU and vulnerability: sonic are left as they are now means nothing more that we shouldn't expect much game improving changes?

as I said, you guys are doing wonderful job visualwise, but when it compes to competitive play, you always choose one of the weirdest solutions. it was very obvious in Void Rim and Conquest of Champions.

you really need to change attitude toward competitive play. I see how passionate you are. remember when I said if you can't describe how ability is working with a short tooltip, it's most likely not a really good ability to begin with. it's weird to think that you agreed since as for now, you're doing opposite things in general.

pox won't lose any depth if you remove upgrade system. pox depth doesn't come from here. as again, the only reasonable explanation for new upgrade system is that you want to handle CP system more properly. and the only question I have is, wouldn't it be better just to remove CP at all. you're wasting resources on top of risking balance/game pace harmony.
    o