Deep thoughts about video games that aren't Pox

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Jbafofi, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Jbafofi

Jbafofi The King of Potatoes

... might be somewhere in this thread

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  2. MrBadguy

MrBadguy Guest

Planescape: Torment

MaruXV likes this.
  3. potatonuts

potatonuts I need me some PIE!

4. MrBadguy

MrBadguy Guest

So he can play it.

5. potatonuts

I thought @Jbafofi was talking about new games.

6. Jbafofi

Planescape Torment.. I kinda missed the boat first time round, still got the disk though, might whack it in soon

7. potatonuts

Well i really enjoyed Pillars of Eternity and Tyranny which are both recent games of a similar nature. There is a recent sequel to Planescape too but I havn't played that.

8. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

I'm having a blast in Player Unknown's Battlegrounds. It's basically a pox clone, try it!!!

Dagda and potatonuts like this.
  9. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

torment tides of numenera is not bad btw, give it a look

10. MrBadguy

MrBadguy Guest

It's like 6 or 11 bucks on GoG depending on whether it's on sale or not and it was also on Steam last I checked. I assume those work right out of the box because you might need extensive modding to run the original in a pleasant manner. I recommend this to anyone who likes story driven games or people who seem to be disinterested in contemporary releases, though if you'd rather play newer stuff, I could also recommend you anything depending on your genres of preference. You can trust me as major game nerd with over 500 physical and 1000 digital titles in his library (plus 10k+ emulation stuffs on my HDD).

What would you give it out of 10 and why?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2017
  11. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

You chaps might like to look at a board game called Gloomhaven.

Very much the physical realisation of old school D&D adventures such as Baldur's Gate.

12. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

The worst type of game

13. Saandro

Saandro I need me some PIE!

Yeah most of the things coming out today are uninspired rehashes, aiming to be played by everyone, even people who never played a game before. I was reading an interview with a Samurai Shodown producer recently. And he was talking how the culture in the company changed as they were getting more and more successful. How in the beginning they were just doing what they wanted, how he wanted a specific sound effect and paid 10k dollar just to get that. How people on the team had creative control etc. But as soon as they got big they got lots of administrators and financial people, who gave everyone a budget which was set in stone. You also couldn't do what you wanted but had to take into consideration focus groups and target audiences etc. I imagine it was the same everywhere, as soon as gaming became a huge bussiness.

Another thing which I've been thinking about recently is who used to make the games? Nerds, who wanted to create something. A group of people who had an idea, not rushing out another sequel just for profit. Their inspirations would likely come from books, mythology, old stories etc, movies. Nowadays it all seems games are made by wannabe hollywood directors, who would rather be making a Disney movie, and a proliferation of ''interactive movies'', instead of proper games. Hollywood only produces garbage and should not be a source of inspiration today. Yet it seems all people know are shitty super hero movies and Disney stuff. Look at Overwatch. It looks like a modern Disney cartoon, and is one of the most popular games today, emulated by many.

Jbafofi likes this.
  14. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

ask yourself why you are playing the shite games instead of the good ones? is it that the big budget titles with a lot of advertisements and nice graphics are the ones you go for?

shadow warrior has really good gameplay btw and free on steam currently, in case you didnt get it for free from humble store 2/3 weeks ago.

I've been playing Meadow myself, very relaxing, I usually pick the Lynx, though you need shelter 2 to unlock it.

15. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

i would give a 8.5 and not more because it can be too short, but the idea of the game is very nice. I went into the game and the first fight i had to do was like 4-5 hours into the game. fought no more than 3 times in 20hours of game. You can play it more fighty if you want, but thats not the point of the game i think.

16. Jbafofi

Deep thoughts?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  17. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

wow hahahaha
    in your A hole?

18. MrBadguy

MrBadguy Guest

This was moved from general chat to here. He's complaining about that and maybe the title chosen. I've had this happen to me before so that's how I know. That being said, I would appreciate if mods stayed the Firk away my titles. Game of Thrones thread didn't need you to add the spoiler thing because it should be self evident that we're discussing the currently airing season and stuff. If people don't want spoilers, they should simply stay off the internet or at least away from anything related to the thing they want to avoid spoilers for.

19. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

yeah but the content of the first post also changed.

20. MrBadguy

MrBadguy Guest

Oh Bane Shift, I see it now.