Rating points???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DortyBoy, Sep 16, 2017.

1. DortyBoy

DortyBoy Member

So why is it that TinyDragon only loses 16 points when I beat him while I lose 20 when a lower ranked player beats me?

TinyDragon's rating is 3380 mine is 2140.

When I lose to players ranked 1500-1700 I lose 20 pts everytime?

Where is the formula because it looks broken to me.

It looks like the top 10 players only lose a max 16 pts for a game while everyone else can lose 20.

So if you get into the top ten its far easier to stay there.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    DiCEM0nEY likes this.
  2. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

seems working for what i ve seen. got -1 and -3 vs higher players so i think something changed, its no more always -5 min

3. MrBadguy

MrBadguy Guest

Rank loss and gain is based around your relative rank to the opponent.

4. MrBadguy

MrBadguy Guest

With a floor and ceiling.

5. DortyBoy

DortyBoy Member

The diff between my rating and a guy I lost 20 points to is ~500.

The diff between me and Tiny is ~1250 and he only loses 16?

If you look at the top 10 player battle histories you will see that they lose a max of 16 pts vrs much lower levs, look beyond the top 10 and they lose 20 vrs lower levs.

So it looks like the top 10 players enjoy a protective bubble where they only lose 16 instead of 20, is this by design or bugged?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  6. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Points might be modified based on relative rank, rather than relative points, or it could at least be a factor. That would explain your experience.

As people said in the other ranking points thread, though, you probably shouldn't fret about it that much.

7. DortyBoy

DortyBoy Member

If its based on rank instead of rating its clearly broken.

For instance I lost 20 pts vrs a guy with a rank of ~130, while my rank at the time was ~40.

I can see examples of the top 1 to 10 ranked players losing games vrs players ranked~450 and only losing 16 pts.

8. DortyBoy

DortyBoy Member

Don't care that much, but noticed that its broken so thought I would post.

9. Runegod

Runegod I need me some PIE!

I agree rating changes make no sense

Example: upload_2017-9-16_16-50-34.png

I lost -5 rating even though the last guy that beat me was Gwyndionnz, he was ranked pretty dang high, i'm curious why I lost anything, if anything I should have gained a point or two for playing against someone who has 21,000 points in this game and I nearly beat him but ran out of champs.

10. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

You lost five points, which may not even be a whole rank. Also, you're coming from 1000 points, presumably not having played since the last reset. 5 is an absolutely reasonable, normal, and expected amount to lose.

11. I made a thread about this last month. Because of low population, it's very easy to avoid good players and farm newbies.

This inflates a lot of peoples rankings. Matchmaker tries to fix this by giving -20 for loses. Which discourages people from playing good players, because they don't want to go -20. Thus the downward spiral.

Right now, you can't tell who deserves top 50. Did they get there beating good players. Or do they play at a dead timezone to get the free +5's.

We really need to reduce +5 to +1 in vet vs newbie situations. This would reduce the ridiculous -20 when you're actually trying to match vs good players. It's not like the vets are gonna stop playing, because of less points. You've stayed with this game for this long, after all the sht it's been through. You're obviously not playing Pox for points.

12. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

it is already +1/+3 , something changed last patch i think.

13. My last 6 games are +5. One of the players is unranked.

14. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

rank.png

i think its related also to which league you are in (you are battlemaster, i'm in exotic and was in rare i think when i lost that 3 matches)

15. I didn't articulate myself well in my previous thread. The problem is more clear when you see it from the loser's pov.

I lose -20 regardless of whether I'm vs a good player or a newbie. Why even play vs good players? It discourages the spirit of competition.

If you're within 50 rank, it should be +10/-10.

16. DortyBoy

DortyBoy Member

How much you should lose aside, the main point of this post is that its currently broken, the top 10 players lose less points than everyone else when they lose.