Do we think damage is progressively getting higher

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by super71, Sep 19, 2017.

1. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

10 champions in the newest expansion have 11 damage or higher, I understand the need for a bit of power creep for marketing reasons and even get that a lot of them are exos and legendaries.

Visions of Amareth- This expansion had 10 champs with 11 damage or higher very few ways to amp that damage no champions with 13 damage, and very few out of those 10 had 12 damage. Also this expansion had 40 champions, compared to planar which had 40 not including limiteds.

Visions 11 damage-8
    Visions 12 damage-2
    Visions 13 or higher-

Planar 11 damage-5
    Planar 12 damage-4
    Planar 13 or higher- 1

We slowly scaled up, and this isn't even mentioning the difference in damage amp abilities on the newer expansions.

Visions
    punish-2
    strength of body- 1
    preparation-1
    charge-1
    sunder 2- 1
    pounce- 1
    blood frenzy- 1
    duel-1
    render-1
    hunter walker-1
    commander flying-1
    portal walker- This ability needs nerfed on every rune 1
    adaptive-1
    surge enemy-1
    ironfist exploit-1
    quest crusade- 1
    truthseeker-1

Total damage buffs- 18, some of these are on the same champ just different ability lines.

Planar
    hunter soul tapped- 1
    sunder 1-1
    sunder 2-2
    hunter fighter-1
    flanking-1
    rock defiance-1
    command charge- 1
    aim-1
    sabotage acid-1
    deep wounds-1
    zeal damage-4
    empowered offense-4
    encouraged-1
    hunter crippled-2 All 3 are on thicket crawler and empowered offense, and he starts with 11 base damage.
    hunter poisoned-1
    hunter hero-1
    quest runner-1 These next 4 are all on centaur bolter, my new favorite ranged unit.
    hunter walker-1
    blitz-1
    declare hunted-2
    kill sense-1
    sabotage armor- 1
    cull-1
    pounce-2
    hunter poisoned-1
    warlord-2
    spellswallower-1
    dogpile-1
    mark of al'mara-1
    hunter mage-1
    hunter small-1
    hunter bloodied-1
    escalation-1
    strength of body-1
    tundra awakening-1
    preparation-1
    ranged stance- 1 normally wouldn't include this but it's on a champ with kinetic impulse
    farshot- 1 same as above
    kinetic impulse-1
    charge 3-1
    logistics flanking-1
    hunter meek-1

I may have missed some, I didn't put in shatter because you or your opponent need equipment to benefit from that. Again some are on the same champ but different ability lines.

As you can see we have 53 new damage amp abilities in an expansion with just as many champs, yet we tripled the amount of damage amp, but I guess were not increasing damage at all. Also note that very few defensive abilities were added either, which could also be apart of the problem. I'm not saying we need more defensive abilities, but less damage amp abilities would be nice. Sure we could argue that some of these abilities weren't out yet, therefore they couldn't be on the old runes, but again that kinda just proves my point further.

I understand that we have gone down because of aoe damage buff abilities, but the numbers I have listed above indicate were now just getting our champs with higher base damage and more way to self amp that damage examples: blitz, zeal etc.

Was it better before requiring multiple champs for buffs or is it better now requiring one champ that super buffs himself, i'll leave this mostly to you all to discuss as i've already stated my opinions.

I believe at the current rate were amping damage we will probably start seeing 13 and 14 more often as were currently seeing 11, 12 and even 13. I believe self buffing runes are more a problem then a theme requiring multiple champs out to get buffed through commander, defender, shroud, sermon, rock defiance.

Do you believe damage is going up or down and why ?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  2. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

I think that the data you provide is an interesting way of looking at this idea, but it might help if it was sorted by larger categories? All the specificity makes it come out as mush -- lot harder to tell what we are looking at.

3. super71

It's every ability that is a damage buff, on paper those are all the abilities that buff damage in the last expansion compared to a previous expansion with the same number of champions. You can sort it if you like I just posted it here cause you asked, I know the damage is going up simply because we nearly tripled the amount of damage buff abilities in this last expansion compared to previous expansions.

4. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

I mean, my point is that sorting by kinds of damage buffs helps people parse what they're looking at. Maybe I'll mess with the data if it becomes more important to the conversation.

5. super71

I guess, I just don't think it's that complex really. Were implementing more damage buffs per single rune, and we have more champs with higher base damage each expansion. Your typically better at this stuff anyways and better at explaining your thoughts so i'll leave it here and pop in now and then.

6. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Aight, we can leave the data for later once people way in with their general impressions.

I am not sure I necessarily agree with your larger point that champion damage continues to go up, but I do think that your argument about the qualitative expression of damage amplification effects could be right i.e. that damage amplifications are more often internal to a champion rather than interactive. Hadn't really thought about that shift much.

7. super71

You don't have to agree with it, but I posted the numbers and they are indeed going up. More champs with 12 damage and more champs with 13 damage.

8. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

That quantity of recently released champions with abilities that can augment their damage doesn't have any necessary correlation with the meta game -- see, for example, the removal of Surge from a lot of old champs. Redesigning of changing of old champs can have a large effect upon what people play, and quantity of abilities neither has any necessary correlation with the kind of damage numbers you can expect in a real game. That's my point: interesting data, but insufficient as yet in my view to demonstrate the kind of trend for which you are arguing.

The exact nature of the data you supply also could use some explaining -- are you counting the number of champions released with damage-mod abilities, or the total number of abilities? How, if at all, are you factoring multiple abilities on the same upgrade line, where they are not only contained on the same champion but are mutually exclusive? How should we weight those in evaluation? Also, these damage-mod abilities have different consistencies and magnitudes -- Hunter: Poisoned should be worth the same as Blitz, and both of those are equivalent to Surge: Enemy? Reflexively, I would say not. My aim isn't to discard your argument, just to point out the questions I would pose to the data you present.

9. super71

Total number of abilities that increase damage, it doesn't matter if they are on the same ability lines or not and I noted that. What matters is in total how many abilities increase damage and how many their are because it shows damage amplification is on the rise as a whole. It's not really any argument, it really is just a numbers game. Their are more champions with higher damage now then a few expansions ago, that is a fact. Their are more champions with abilities that increase damage in new expansions, that is a fact. To sit and debate over those two things is a waste of both our time, because it's already set in stone unless we get a patch.

We could argue which abilities are stronger but in the end they all do the same thing, they all amplify damage.

I think pox has just hit a wall where the only abilities we can throw on champs is damage amp, because we can't start spreading all the support abilities without losing the identity of those champs and making them irrelevant. You can always have more beaters but can't have a deck of utility champs.

10. super71

I could go through and note which champs have multiple damage buffs on themselves and which ones they can take per ability line, however I don't believe that would make a large enough difference as currently we tripled the old number of damage amps from the visions expansion. I also counted the damage amp abilities in full in the visions expansion as well, so i'd probably have to remove a couple from the 18 it had. Also you can look at last expansion and the expansion before and see average damage is going up slightly higher every expansion when not including passive champs with 0 damage.

11. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

I'll come back later and state my own position, but suffice to say "it's not really an argument, the data speaks for itself" does nothing for me.

12. super71

More champs per expansion with higher damage, their is no argument for that because it's true. Arguing about it is counter productive, more champs are being made with higher damages.

Like I said I'm interested to hear other perspectives, me and you can go back and forth all day and regardless what the numbers say you will come back with something.

13. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

There's a one-sentence summary/thesis at the bottom. All the rest is just me showing my work.

First things first, when looked at over the course of the expansions since Ronin (which I think is a fair marker of the current design era), the printed DMG values show no noticeable trend upward. Here they are in release order, counting mid-terms and ignoring reprints:

ronin
    11-5
    12-8
    13-1

coalitions
    11-6
    12-5
    13-1

path
    11-14
    12-2
    13-0

visions
    11-8
    12-2
    13-0

spirits
    11-5
    12-5
    13-1

planar
    11-5
    12-4
    13-1

Trend:
    • 11: 5 > 6 > 14 > 8 > 5 > 5
    • 12: 8 > 5 > 2 > 2 > 5 > 4
    • 13: 1 > 1 > 0 > 0 > 1 > 1
    No champion broke 14 base DMG.

Now, as to damage-mod abilities, in trying to keep in line with your assessment, I have noted any abilities that can directly improve damage output (but ignoring SPD increases for now, or eHP like Pummel, I guess, because I am not exactly sure what rules you used to count).

Here are my raw notes, and I'll parse the data afterward:

path

bbbaron
    1cmnd charge
    1surge
    2dictate
    bthunder fist
    1punish
    1sunder
    3emp offence
    anchorite
    1sunder
    rimeweaver
    1adaptive
    1domain
    sandclaw
    1domain
    2sandstriker
    3blood frenzy
    d pursuer
    1sunder2
    3sunder exploit
    3violent
    tardigrade
    1domain
    1sandstriker
    gen lich
    1adaptive
    borderguard
    1hunter quick
    guardian eretat
    1relic guardian
    3summon treasure
    lodestone megalith
    3megalith guards
    thunderaxe
    2relic guard
    motion sensor
    2emp offense
    3vengeful
    nef informant
    3declare veng
    pureblood
    1zeal dmg
    1quest dmg
    retic splinehawk
    1initiator
    1blitz
    1hunter walker
    2pounce
    salam appraiser
    1rage potion
    3salam ingenuity
    salam elite
    1commander
    2encouraged
    2battle leader
    vanguard
    1dictate
    2drive
    firk mutant
    1hunter
    tomb sentinel
    1charge
    tortun hawker
    2declare hunted
    3hawk attack
    twoheaded kanen
    1emp offense
    1pounce
    shadecaster
    1portal walker
    2pounce
    warden of the path
    1emp offense
    1hunter meek
    1heart strike
    2quest kill
    whitestar
    1savage exploit
    1surge tundra
    yeti painter
    1augment creation
    1commander

Ok, in total, that is 55 abilities, spread across 27 unique champions, out of (about, depending how you count them) 48 champions, from an expansion of 57 runes. This is from Path, which came before Visions.

So what do these two data sets means, really?
    Not much. They do show two things:

First, there is no notable trend across printed DMG values in the 6 expansions that comprise DOG's run of the game. You see between 10 and 16 champions each time with printed DMG above 10, and that range does not tilt one way across the expansions -- actually, Planar Disturbances is tied for least champions with printed DMG greater than 10.

Second, that, at the very least, there is no consistent increase in damage-mod abilities across the past 4 expansions. Path actually has 2 more damage-mod abilities on its champions than does Planar (in their current incarnations, I should note -- all the numbers are pulled from the champ versions as of 9/20/17's most recent patch). I don't want to do a complete dive through the other three expansions in the moment, considering the time it would take, but I think that the one is sufficient.

Those two points are data facts, not argumentative facts: they are facts about the data sets we might use to argue, and I do not consider them in-and-of-themselves substantive to any argument, not without interpretation. My interpretation of them is incredibly narrow: these expressions of data demonstrate no clear or continual increase in either printed DMG values or in the number of damage-mod abilities available on champions. As a result, I suggest that, no matter in what way you intend to interpret these particular categories of data, they will not sufficiently demonstrate any persistent, substantive change over time.

---

In short, maybe damage has gone up or down, maybe it has changed from groups to single champs, but whatever way you slice it, the data you've chosen is junk and doesn't prove anything to me.

I'll be back with my own argument later.

14. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

dEbUnKeD

15. super71

Whatever you say man, posted this cause you asked, not to sit and play war of words with you.

I could launch into my own tirade about how you used an expansion under dog with a ton of damage amp to argue that their isn't an increase of damage amp over time. I could also argue that we have been increasing base damage of champions from earlier expansions just to keep them up with the meta game. In the end you probably have more tools at your disposal than I do when it comes to pox, so maybe you will get to the bottom of it.

Most likely even if I did win the war of words, a troll would pop in and the thread would be closed as that frequently seems to happen around these forums.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  16. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

First section on data...

An interesting idea -- lets look at the data for Drums of War, the first proper expansion that Pox had, and at Plague of Ba'lah, one of the expansions just before DOG's entry:

DOW data

38 damage mod
    11-5
    12-1
    13-2
    14-0
    15-1

gatekeeper
    2impassioned
    2noble sac
    dragon handler
    2drive
    3commander
    drak charger 12
    2charge
    elven fury
    2hunter
    3fury
    fallen drak
    2hunter mage
    2hunter scout
    2hunter hero
    firebomber 11
    ghoul
    1hunter disease
    1fw exploit
    ghoulhunter
    2hunter quick
    2hunter meek
    2hunter mage
    grimthir 11
    hip rider
    1charge
    2heavy charger
    is collecter
    1hunter equipped
    jakei snowcharger
    1charge
    2domain snow
    2hawk attack
    3protective
    klzik 13
    2surge
    mandrake
    2spellswallower
    mena 11
    mog hunters
    2hunter quick
    2hunter small
    2hunter meek
    salam sentry
    2relic guardian
    salam soldier
    1render
    3hunter fighter
    skeez canon
    1piercing shot
    snow rhea 11
    stone drgn
    3hunter fighter
    talgar 13
    2ham throw
    vindrax 15
    3surge drgn
    voil bomber
    2prep
    wep smith
    1hunter equipped
    3fury
    xulos 11
    1dark awakening

PoB data

62 damage mod

11-10
    12-9
    13-1

ancient slag
    3hunter small
    baby slag
    1guarded skeez
    1guarded slag
    1guarded clops
    boneshredder
    2sunder
    circ songmaster
    3mire resurgence
    civ wilderkin 11
    3blitz
    coral creep
    1commander
    3noble sac
    corrupt overlord 11
    cyclops primal 12
    1encouraged
    1surge behemoth
    cyclops rit
    2guarded cyclops
    deadly tracker
    2declare hunted
    deep elf infil 12
    elven taskmaster
    2drive
    2vigilance
    emerald wing 11
    eye of serkan 11
    2log flanking
    2hunter tapped
    faeguard
    1hunter small
    ferren wanderer
    3melee spec
    firk mastermind
    2battlemaster
    frostfall hydra 12
    1kill sense
    leoss magnate
    2regal presence
    3magnate's blessing
    lonx channeler 11
    2escalation
    2psychic amped
    lonx luminary
    1guarded beast
    metalic slag
    3distic surge
    mino fury
    1hostile
    1quest dmg
    1enrage
    misshapen boghop 13
    1pounce
    mounted kinsman
    1charge
    2cmnd charge
    2violent
    nc cardinal
    1sermon
    nc fanatic 12
    1pounce
    poll martyr 12
    private captain 12
    2explo attack
    rupture alpha 11
    2commander
    2escalation
    2battle harden
    sarg centaur 12
    1duel
    2charge
    serp paradigm 11
    2spur
    3violent
    sheoul disciple 12
    1sunder
    2vengeful
    2hunter tapped
    skeez blackguard 11
    2relic guardian
    3bg training
    skeez grunt 12
    skeez ripper
    1quest runner
    3running strike
    skel reaper
    1hunter diseased
    1hunter hero
    1render
    skel rifleman
    1hunter hero
    1sunder
    2forsaken exploit
    2punish
    3aim
    skybreak dragon 11
    1pounce
    stitched tyrant 11
    1charge
    2hunter small

Conclusions from that: the PoB data clocks in as higher than any of the examined DOG expansions; DoW looks like the lower end of average. I'll respond to something else you said, then talk more about what this data (often doesn't) say.

I think that this makes a good point: looking at present records of champions in the checklist by expansion doesn't actually give us "release" data, and this is especially true for that Drums of War information -- every champion in there has necessarily been changed since release.

Even with the variance because of patches, I would come at these sorts of data sets in a different way if I was trying to draw something from them.

First, I think that the damage mod categories should be sorted by magnitude and consistency. Those are both more substantive factors than the mere "it can increase damage output" metric. Likewise, I would limit this to slots, and remove from the count any duplicate abilities on the same line -- champs don't get anything from abilities they don't and can't have.

Second, I would mostly scrap the printed DMG metrics, and when listed, would include the entire potential data set rather than just >10 values. I think that the 10 DMG break-point is mostly arbitrary, and orienting a data set around that number cuts off important information.

Third, and most importantly, I would make a new list that files champions by their expected damage output per attack, per point of AP, and per turn (and leave a separate category for support abilities that may not require AP). I think that, when we are talking about whether "damage has gone up", we are most often thinking of those proportional measures of damage output. I think that we should try to match data to our language, and recognize the limits to which that is possible, rather than letting our language merely mirror whatever data is available.

-----

Second section on the subject at hand...

I think that champion damage output has marginally decreased over the last two years, and has dropped significantly over the last four or so. Surge has declined in prevalence and gotten more expensive, things like Blitz have seen nerfs or caps, and many sources of percent multiplication were fundamentally altered to reduce their potential to scale up. A few years ago, you could and should have expected ranged champions to hit for 15-20 damage with extreme consistency by mid-game; if your champs weren't doing that, you would get out-scaled by common and powerful healing options, and generally muscled over by opponents who were doing that kind of damage. This has changed. If you are snagging 20 damage hits with a ranged champ, you are doing some good work for it (and ranged damage output matters more than melee). Several melee champs exist that can put out a whooping, but they are fundamentally less able to spend AP on damage than are ranged champions; their high numbers matter less, besides dropping slightly as well.

Now, I don't mean to dispute your secondary claim that damage buffing is really important right now. In fact,, ironically, decreasing the eccentricity of damage values makes buffs more important. Just look at DnD 5E if you want a great example of this: that system is built around bounded stat values, so if you find a +1 attack bonus somewhere, you gobble it up because that's gold. Augment Creation has become especially good right now because +2 DMG matters more than it used to. Similarly, the difference between having and not having Banner out has also increased.

I would say that DMG values usually get modded by about +3 to +5 right now -- +1 from Banner, +2 from Commander or its equivalent, and probably +2 from some other more specific source. That's the range that I see in most games that I play and observe. Were decks to become more refined, I would expect that range to move to up a bit, with the average hitting around +5 for decks that don't want to rush, the top end being +7, and spikes to +10 on power turns.

You also made a comment that damage modding has moved towards more individual champions, rather than happening in groups. I think I agree with that. Not sure that I have anything else to say about it right now, other than to note that agreement, though.

MaruXV likes this.
  17. NevrGonaGivUup

NevrGonaGivUup I need me some PIE!

Sorting champs based on their range would be better. Melee champs have higher base damage on average, so expansions with high damage probably just have more melee.

Also worth noting is that many of the best defensive abilities are now flat damage reductions instead of percentages. This incentivises deckbuilders to run higher base damage champs.

18. Hierokliff

Hierokliff I need me some PIE!

I think its good that new releases are in the top. Its when they also are in top with unique abilities for the game/faction it really can get broken.
    Thanks for all the data, couldnt really read all before i got bored, but its a good thing some can.
    about +DMG for groups, it is very powerful but you need to survive that long, used to try to play this with FF IS dwarfs, they can muster up so much +DMG they all go insane 20-30DMG units but its not a winning strategy since its so slow, and so weak against enemy AOE. but very very fun to try to get it to work. (drive, commander, drunk dwarfs, battlemaster, macadamize, warcry, warbanner, inspire, armorer...)
    Now if there where less ignore defense AOE abilities, these playstyles would be very powerful.

I have no problem with heavy hitting base DMG units, but when a 20DMG unit has 80% dmg AOE it gets broken.
    Thanks for these type of threads

19. super71

@kalasle One thing I didn't think to take into account was the reduction to all heals, this might also be why it seems damage has gone up higher than it actually has to me. I know it's gone up, but whether or not it's gone up much higher is debatable, I think 2 major factors I didn't take into account, healing, and the increase of damage on ranged champs specifically.

20. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

This is a good point that I completely forgot to mention as well. The changes to things like Heal Champ 3 and Heal Mass 3, along with the general reduction of Wrath healing, probably helps shape our perceptions of damage -- and might contribute to that sense that individual champion damage has increase? I say that because now it seems like every individual champion hits harder and the hits last longer, whereas large conflicts were more defined by one-rounding prior to the heal changes (though, as you've said, not just because of healing).