Time to get that edumacation

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by nepyonisdead, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Regulate

Regulate I need me some PIE!

ahahahaha.

2. nepyonisdead

nepyonisdead I need me some PIE!

thats it???? no condescending remark? no backhanded metaphorical slap? no top notch mockery with a smirk on ? who are you??

3. iPox

iPox Forum Royalty

The one book that influenced me most was "On Numbers and Games" by Prof. John Horton Conway.

MaruXV and nepyonisdead like this.
  4. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

that seems very nice for game developing, im definetely giving a loot at it, ty for suggestion...

Geressen likes this.
  5. iPox

iPox Forum Royalty

You should absolutely read it, but be warned: It's less about game development and more about some kind of nonstandard analysis.

Geressen and MaruXV like this.
  6. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

i have a mainly linguistic education but i am fascinated by numbers studies, so i know i will struggle but find it interesting.
    i also usually tend to develop 1vs1 abstract boardgames so it should help on balance.

7. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

what sort of linguistics? do you happen to be educated in the neuro branch of philology?

8. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

just real bases of neurolinguistics. i have a master degree in oriental languages and cultures (spec. japanese), with a thesis in literature translation ( i translated into italian some short stories of a japanese sci-fi writer from early 20th century never translated in other languages). i also got some post-degree qualifications in language teaching, expecially teaching italian as second language for strangers.

9. Alakhami

That's awesome. Do you guys have phonemological semantic analysis of texts as a way to determine psychological ailments? It's a pretty new thing in Russia and I'm not sure if it's secluded only to Russian language, but it shouldn't be, since, if I remember correctly, the guy that I read said that 13 phonems are used worldwide and have an intrinsic meaning regardless of the language they're spoken in. And it's not just a random guy, he got a doctors in philosophy and psychology and defended a thesis titled "How rhytmophonetic structures shape the perception of a text of teenagers and young adults."
    Also, which japanese authors would you recommend me to read? I've only read Akutagawa, Dazai, Mishima.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  10. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

it depends on what kind of books you like.
    I translated Hoshi Shinichi 's short stories, sometimes you find some of them in anthologies or maybe you can get some russian translation, they are pretty fun and smart.
    also i can suggest

- anything you find of Ihara Saikaku, he makes short stories about merchants in feudal japan they are interesting
    - kanikosen (the crab cannery ship) - one of the few communist experiences of japan (not repressed in blood)
    - Kojiki (the "holybook" of imperial Shintoism)
    - ugetsu monogatari (tales of moonlight and rain) by ueda akinari / short mystical stories.
    - Genji monogatari ( tale of genji) on of the most important books of japanese literature
    - tsuretsuregusa (essay in idleness) by kenko, random thoughts from a monk/philosopher

and a lot more, but these ones came to my mind first

nepyonisdead likes this.
  11. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

(btw i didnt go that deep into scientifical linguistic field, i was focusing on a more cultural and artistic kind of approach to literature translation. I studied some stuff about neurolinguistic also when i had a baby 2 years ago because my wife is japanese so i wanted to see the best approach to grow a bi/trilingual child)

12. Woffleet

Woffleet I need me some PIE!

damn you with that. Ballbaleer with Law this is one educated community

nepyonisdead likes this.
  13. nepyonisdead

nepyonisdead I need me some PIE!

I know Right?? here I am thinking ....umm I can make an omelette .....not a great one but enough to pass through my body without killing me, and these guys are talking about the chemistry that goes on between letters in the pages of a book xD

Woffleet and sWeNibor like this.
  14. Alakhami

Sweet! Any particular order? We got some pretty good translation in Russian of most of Japanese literature by Boris Akunin, who also happens to be one of the best and most influential modern writers/intellectuals, but I'll have a look at English translations aswell if I find some in the web, especially considering that I might come across yours.
    Have you already heard that Ishiguro won the Nobel Prize? What do you think of his works? Does it feel like Japanese literature?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  15. Alakhami

What literature did you read for that?

16. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

never read him unfortunately, he is kinda new and grew up as british citizen so no big focus on him at university when i was there.
    no particular order in that, just random stuff

17. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

who remembers...some stuff about Montessori-s learning method, then talked a lot with a childrens pshichiatrist of my town-s hospital that gave me some literature about that but really i dont remember titles or authors. i didnt read entire books, just took here and there where i found it was useful