Last attempt at saving UD

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nepyonisdead, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Ralphen

Ralphen I need me some PIE!

OT: It's nice to be remembered (even for my bad posts)... See you after the Linux release.

2. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

So let's talk briefly about some of these.

If Spiders lost Demon, what could/would they get that would help them? They already have a racial. What are they currently not allowed to have that they would get if they weren't Demons?

Fire Amp - this is a cross race theme... I don't understand what Demon-ness has to do with them?

Goblins aren't Demons.

Bleed isn't a racial theme.

It seems to me that most of these aren't actually a Demon problem? So rather than it being that Minos are good because they are not Demons - what you are saying is that Minos are good because of their individual rune design + racial (honestly, it's not like they have a lot of theme tools, in fact, I think most of the bad themes you mention such as Spiders and Fire have far more).

~

I just think that the idea that Minos are good because non-Demon is a misnomer, and if we continue to believe that then we aren't going to get to the actual issues. Like Spiders, if a few of their champs improved, or their racial runes got buffed, they would probably be in pretty good shape?

3. Sokolov

I am glad to see the @s work to bring people back... time to spam @s at all the old-timers.

Tweek516 likes this.
  4. nepyonisdead

nepyonisdead I need me some PIE!

spiders need swarmers / anti swarm to put them on the same playing field as skeles , i could argue they need a boost spider champion but thats up for debate since their racial is fairly strong

5. Vorian

Vorian I need me some PIE!

Sorry Nep I probably got Fiery Ambush nerfed by my abuse of it in acid/fire amp lol.

6. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

Will talk about this later. I had started thinking about what different deck archetypes mean to the faction in terms of playstyles, and UD is actually the best place to get a deeper look at what that means.
    The TL/DR preview is that the focus on themes over the last few years created a lot of archetypes that promote different playstyles than the factions have traditionally encouraged. This is a great thing in a lot of ways, but a lot of these FF archetypes lack the tools (sometimes a flaw in the champs themselves and sometimes because the faction's current viable spell/relic/equip suite does not promote that playstyle) for that style to be viable.

With DEP it's not about whether she's balanced and effective, it's the circumstances under which she is currently balanced and effective. Those circumstances (maintaining early pressure by summoning the closest beater as soon as beckon is off cooldown) are saturated with balanced and effective things, while other areas where she used to be effective (eg. pulling a stunned unit out of the fight so it doesn't die) are hindered by the opportunity cost of not being able to use it in a future situation where it might provide an unknown value swing X.

Alakhami, Ballballer and nepyonisdead like this.
  7. Sokolov

I think this is super important in that THIS is what I remembered most about Beckon Demon in the old days. Yes, the gap close part was useful, but it was also expected and you could punish that push afterwards. The part that really elevated top UD players above others was the ability to use Beckon Demon in THIS way.

MaruXV and Ballballer like this.
  8. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

Again, I didn't say that's the only reason. Out of all, they're probably the most self-sufficient theme, although still lack some stuff (a solid relic for example, maybe something that grants evasive/elusive when standing on web)

Nothing much, it's just not diverse enough in terms of what their champs can offer. Also it's pretty ridiculous that ST easily outdamages it.

It's not but the abillities are very theme centered and almost all of the champs are demons so if there were any race/class interaction to make them stronger it wouldn't be even considered because of that transfering effect.

For some reason you forgot Deep Elves -- they're the ones that suffer most. Also, what about other stuff like Bok and Nefari? I think that it's specifically because of the Demon niche that they're in that they're not yet a theme. Or do you think that nepyon is indeed correct in saying that UD for some reason is always the guy that nobody pays attention to at a party?

As I said, it is ONE of the issues, one of the main ones, but not the main. The chief reasons are lack of theme orientered interactions in spells, relics, equips and some champions and a lack of a proper way of balancing out the DMG bonus into pseudo-range, gap closing or w/e else (Minotaurs are obviously an exception serving as an example of how good a theme in UD can be if approached the right way) and also a bunch of shoebox spells, relics, equips that nobody runs (apart from Badgerale of course, but we all know he has a taste for the 'exquisite'.)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  9. davre

make sure you add that one to your sig

Tweek516 likes this.
  10. Ballballer

Ballballer Chief Antagonist

Thats mainly because it was cooldown 1 though, so using it in that way didn't then "prevent" you from beckoning a champ in to get a kill the next turn. So it had way more flexibility and the opponent had to respond to both possibilities. Using it that way nowadays is waaaay harder, unless you abort a planned kill to respond to a move by the opponent, WHILE beckon happens to be off cooldown. And even in that case, it could arguably be better to execute the planned relocate anyways and get the kill/ setup around the new board state. Keeping your heavy damage dealer at the back and then beckoning him in seems better than beckoning him back to a mid-distance and allowing him to be put in more danger in the preceeding turns (at least in most cases), since it cant be spammed every turn as it previously could Both can still be done with call of the hunter+beckon admittedly

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  11. davre

This is also why I was pushing heavily to change boundless enthusiasm to grant swap instead of seismic leap - to push its effective use away from 1on1 situations and give UD more flexibility in developed board situations.

Etherielin, Alakhami and nepyonisdead like this.
  12. nepyonisdead

I dont mind that as long as it keeps the homing sense so the first champ aka the one with swap can come into battle faster the following turn

13. Sokolov

I don't see any of those as themes, so they are just names. It's like Jakei isn't a theme, nor is Lamia a theme. Yea, they have some narrative ideas that make them similar, but beyond that, they don't really have anything specific that ties them together mechanically as a theme (though early on there were some "Deep Elf" spells). Yes, some of them have stuff that ends up triggering because of racials, but it's incidental, rather than prescribed.

They are basically Minotaurs before they got made into a real theme.

It wouldn't be considered because that's not how we developed non-racial themes. I don't go around adding race based effects to Frost Amp to make it work because that doesn't even make sense.

I agree, but your original post listed "not Demons" as a primary reason why Minos are good, and I think they'd be in the exact same spot as they are now even if they were Demon/Minotaur.

I think it's important in these discussions to actually be very clear. Because, removing Demon from a mess of champions is not a simple thing and has widespread ramifications - if that is NOT the issue, then we need to focus on what the ACTUAL issues are with the theme

14. Sokolov

ALL SPIDERLINGS SWARM!

15. Sokolov

Also, I thought Binding Chains in UD was a good fit (though it's obviously not any sort of exclusive ability)

16. nepyonisdead

wait what? is that an onion that has way too many layers XD since when do they swarm

17. Sokolov

I am saying, imagine if all Spiderlings had Swarm.

nepyonisdead likes this.
  18. nepyonisdead

thats THE DREAM

19. zer0sum

zer0sum The King of Potatoes

Just don't change released runes, ever. Release counters in new runes. It's better for business and people won't have their collections change on them overnight

20. limone1981

limone1981 I need me some PIE!

goodbye to the last decent range unit in a Voil theme :(

Vorian, xaznsoulx and Ballballer like this.