I tryed to play again after a year, but...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kissofpain, Dec 12, 2017.

1. kissofpain

kissofpain Well-Known Member

But it's just impossible to play in the new client, as it's full of bugs. I just can't come back to the game in this state... so, so sad.

Morfeas likes this.
  2. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

eh, not really. sure, it has some, but it's perfectly playable. And welcome back.

3. Varthas

Varthas I need me some PIE!

Welcome back! The new client is better than the old.

4. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

Hey there! Welcome back! What sort of bugs have you come across? Some of them can be solved through personal adjustments while others you need to give us info about so that we can tell you if it's something solvable on your own.

5. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Press F1 while in a game -> client is 3 times better

also change resolution to original resultion, high-res ruins sprite graphics

SPiEkY likes this.
  6. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

It's playable, just. DOG is just lucky we love this game so damn much.

7. nitebane21

nitebane21 I need me some PIE!

Tbh, I think we're the ones that are lucky. Lucky that they keep the servers on since they probably barely break even on the cost at best.

SPiEkY likes this.
  8. kissofpain

Ok, maybe I should talk about the things that ruined my experience.

First the deck editor. I have no clue what runes I have in my deck because I don't get a image of the card when I hover the mouse over it. Just from the little icon I have no idea what some of the cards are. So I tried to click on a rune but it was removed from the deck. The I tried to cancel the editor, but I can only save&exit. So I just quited the game. But the deck was saved anyway. And I am a veteran, how about a new player?

Then the battle. It seems the chat doesn't work anymore? And where is the click on spell/effect name image of the card? How am I suppose to know all the new cards, spells and effects that were introduced in the game? Should I play training until I learn? Should I write them all down in a book or something? Mouse over name in logg was perfect. And now it was removed.

Then I played lifeshield on a unit. Lifeshield triggers, it writes in the log that the unit was healed, but there was no heal. Okeeey.

And last, I have released my avatar and it had 0 ap. So I thought that maybe they changed the mechanics, but I was focused on some other things, so I left the avatar alone. Next turn was again 0 ap. So clicked it, just to realised it was a visual bug.

Now, old client was miles better. And bug free, as far as I remember. From my point of view, this new client makes the game very hard to understand for new players, but also for old ones alike. No wonder the game has les players that it had a year ago.

9. Etherielin

I'll go over each thing individually:

1. The deck editor isn't the best, agreed, but it's usable - to check what card you've got you can either right-click it or select it once and click the inspect button in bottom right corner. There's also the good old rune manager on the website as a back-up option if you just can't get the ingame one to work.

2. The chat works, but wipes itself after every match, which means nobody's talking there. We're all on Discord instead. The combat log is buggy, yes, but then again we all use discord to ask each other what specific cards do in case we don't remember.

3. Were you inhibited? It prevents healing from happening.

4. You can always see how much AP you have stored on any rune by looking at its art in bottom left corner. Besides whenever you unleash your avatar it's selected by default and you can see how many tiles you can cover all around you. What did you do to miss that? The visual bug is annoying, but it sounds like you kind of neglected the other more noticable sources of information regarding your avatar's AP.

5. Old client was better, yes, but only - and ONLY - on the user's end. On devs' end it was a minefield, where even the simplest changes (like reducing any stat of a champ by 1) risked a crash and made any sort of patching progress incredibly taxing and difficult. The bugs were still there, just most of them were swept under the rug or not that noticable.

6. This is written separately, but the reason the game has fewer players than a year ago is primarily the fact that the entire game is in a lull (that's a word, I'm not laughing at you), that + there are two different peak times when we get about 9 games going on at once on average: European afternoons-evening and American late afternoons-evenings. Also the Discord is always lively and as such you can always get a match going with someone from there. We even get some fresh blood there!

If there's anything you'd like to ask or know about, please let me know and I'll try to help.

Gnomes and MaruXV like this.
  10. kissofpain

Thanks for the info. I discovered the ingame right click rune reveal thing. However, in game, is there any way to see what enemy spells/abilities are?

11. britchesss

britchesss Well-Known Member

Oh is that we're doing today? Lying?

Drache77, SPiEkY and xaznsoulx like this.
  12. Varthas

"We?" I stated my subjective belief, i like the new client alot more than the old. If the game was still running on the old client i would not be playing much. In example: While i wait for a game to start i do other things, double checking my deck, looking at a youtube video, etc and when the game starts i instantly go full screen(Alt+Enter). With the old client i either had to do a chain of stuff before starting a game @fullscreen or play windowed wich to me distract me, because i easily drop focus. So:

The old client if i wanted fullscreen(wich is much better) i had to: remember i prefer fullscreen, exit the client, restart, hit options before logging in, check fullscreen, log in, hit que, wait for a game, a game starts. It is a chain i would never bother or remember to do.

With the new client: i log in, hit que, waiting for a game, a game starts, i hit Alt+Enter for fullscreen.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  13. Varthas

And the bugs he talks about the deck managment, the old client had no client deck managment, the new one has, i still use the website for deckmanagment. Who cares about the deck via the client? It is a feature for the PS4 community. The old way is the way we edit our decks, and ponder about runes, i can`t understand anyone who would want to do it in the client.

And some chat issues, who cares about chat? After my nephew bought me a PS4 and Battle field 1(i am a former Bf2 player back in the days) i realised PS4 players can`t chat with each other during a game. In Battlefield 2 on Pc we could chat, getting a message across: "capture that flag" or "help me" whatever, but in PS4 and the brand new Battlefield 1 there is no chat. Is the game broken because i can`t chat with my team or the opposite team like i would back in the days? Hell No.

It is the same here, if i wrote something in the old clients chat i was lucky to get a answer, it changes nothing. I don`t play a game to chat but to play, it changes nothing. It would be nicer with a chat with memory but it doesn`t prevent me to do what i really want to do; to play a game.

The new client is what kept me playing, and i play for having a good time, relaxing, to get a challenge. The new client give me that "better" than the old client.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  14. Skeezick

Skeezick Forum Royalty

stop lying pls

Varthas likes this.
  15. kissofpain

It seems that nobody answers to this: how do you find out what spells the enemy had cast? In old client I was able to click on the spell name in the log to see it. In current client, the spells (abilities, effects, etc) are not clickable. So you tell me, how can a player that is not familiar with the game to the point it knows everything by name, know what is going on?

16. Skeezick

Skeezick Forum Royalty

you don't
    lul

britchesss likes this.
  17. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

Yeah, that's one of the biggest problems with the client

18. Etherielin

The temporary solution for the time being is sitting with the rest of us on Discord and asking a question. This is also one of the reasons I'm encouraging people to come and talk to us - so that learning and relearning are both easier.

MaruXV likes this.
  19. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

or keep runes checklist open and check when needed. not easy, but works.

20. kissofpain

Thanks for advices guys. I hope devs can upgrade soon their client to please new players too. :)