The best review I can find of The Last Jedi

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Ragic, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

this is a pretty funny parody.

not of star wars, of the people crying over some stuff.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  2. profhulk

profhulk Forum Royalty

Check this one out. Very amusing review with colorful memes. Loved hearing about the “Pareto principle” guess it has to do with business and making money. Interesting how pox made the same mistake as Kathleen Kennedy made. They both chased away the 20% of their consumer base that purchases 80% of their product by making bad decisions.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    Ragic likes this.
  3. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

I thought it was a decent film. Better than the previous two for the simple reason that it actually had a plot that didn't involve getting into some big installation and blowing it up. Again. Not saying it was a masterpiece or anything, but i don't think anyone expects that of a star wars film now.

I liked the cast, not because of any male/female dynamic but because (with the exception of the lead actress) they looked like normal people - not the perfect looking actors that used to be the rule. I've noticed this trend in other film/TV as well and think it's really good.

I really don't see why anyone could have any political issue with it. It had women in positions of authority - in a fantasy universe, a bizillion years in the future - is that scary somehow? Or is it because it cast women in positions of authority? Does that lessen the status of you as a man?

Anyway, of course revenue is falling - have you seen how hard disney have been milking the franchise.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    BurnPyro and Etherielin like this.
  4. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

Eh, I just checked wikipedia, the revenue is 6 times the budget. kinda makes you feel sad after keeping an eye on Blade Runner's Box Office and hoping that they at least make it 1:1.

5. badgerale

Yeah, just checked this: https://www.statista.com/statistics/311356/star-wars-production-costs-box-office-revenue/ and it seems like it is doing ok at the boxoffice, though less than force awakens, i thought it was doing bad because of profhulks bullshit video - serves me right for taking it at face value.

I think you need to consider just how recent rogue one was though, it's bound to lessen the hype.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    Geressen likes this.
  6. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

*cough*
    [​IMG]
    *stare*

BurnPyro and Comissar like this.
  7. badgerale

well that makes no sense.

BurnPyro and Comissar like this.
  8. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

he's saying in a fictional universe anything is possible, even sjw fantasies. The problem is the Star Wars universe was already established. Let the sjw’s create their own franchise instead of perverting existing ones. And then you’ll see the market place chew them up and spit them out.

profhulk likes this.
  9. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

he can speak for himself
    sounds like something you would say.
    your reaction to the following
    also quick question:
    was it okay for there to be species which only characteristic setting them apart from humans is that they are black and asians "near human" species?

10. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

[​IMG]
    The racist caricatures in the prequels are astounding and hilarious.

11. badgerale

I honestly don't get this, what SJW fantasy are you talking about? what, in your words, is wrong with the film?

BurnPyro likes this.
  12. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I was asking Ragic if racism in the old canon is okay, I already know you are.

13. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

He means women and minorities in lead roles.

14. badgerale

oh right, so representatives of 93% of the global population that isn't white men gets the best parts in a film. I can see why he's annoyed.

15. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

it's like how the oscar nominations used to be voted on by like 99.99% old white men.

16. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

See opening post

17. profhulk

profhulk Forum Royalty

Who cares! I want to be entertained not have ******** social constructs and political correctness thrown at me by a third wave feminist CEO and her assclown sycophants who
    de construct everything that made Star Wars great and turn it into a slogan you can put on an Antifa protest poster.

newsbuff likes this.
  18. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

but you are the one keeping social construct in place thereby "throwing" them at others.
    the rest of your post made no sense.

19. Comissar

Comissar I need me some PIE!

Not planning to stay in the discussion (for the record, liked last jedi, disliked space Leia, loved the light speed jump), just wanted to jump in and fact check the below because it's an easy enough statement to check.

Your claim - 'Black' actors are winning a disproportionate number of awards, implied to be due to bias against 'white' actors.

Statement 1 - An estimated 11.5% of the world population is 'white' as of 2011 [1]

Statement 2 - An estimated 72.4% of the US population is 'white', 12.6% is 'black', 4.8% is 'asian', 1.1% is native (including Hawaiians and other Pacific Islanders), with the remaining 9.1% being either two or more, or other, as of 2010 [2]

Statement 3 - Neither 'race' nor gender has any bearing on an individuals ability or talent when acting.

Statement 4 - The Oscars only focus on the American film industry [3]

Assumption 1 - It is fair to assume that, though many blockbuster films that win Oscars are filmed around the world, the demographics of the US should provide a decent proxy for the demographics of actors assuming there are no issues with racism.

Prediction based on US demographics - Therefore, the demographic breakdown of Oscar winners should mirror that of the US population, with approximately 72.4% of the awards going to 'white' actors, and a similar percentage going to the various other ethnicities.

Prediction based on your statement - The percent of awards going to 'white' actors will be significantly less than the 72.4% that would be expected based on demographics, showing a bias against 'white' actors.

Statement 5 - In the same year that the census data I've used was taken, 100% of Oscar awards were given to 'white' actors. Across the entire history of the awards (up to 2015), only 6.8% of the awards have been given to 'non-white' actors. In the past 25 years (up to 2015), only 11.2% of the awards were given to 'non-white' actors. From 2005 to 2015, 11.5% of awards were given to 'non-white' actors. From 2010 to 2015, 9% of awards were given to 'non-white' actors. Only 2003, 2004, and 2006 have a higher % of 'non-white' actors than what demographics alone would suggest, with 2003 and 2004 both having 30% of the awards going to 'non-white' actors, while 2006 awards 35% to 'non-white' actors. [4]

Conclusion - If anything, as of 2015, 'white' actors continue to be over-represented based purely on demographics.

Personal note - I broke this up a bit more than I usually would, just to make it easier to argue against should you wish to do so. I'm aware the census data I used is outdated, but if it bugs you that much I'm sure you can find more up to date info. (wasn't sure where to look, figured wikipedia was good enough for a quick analysis), I'm relatively confident that my conclusion will still hold true. Worth noting as well that my quick google only turned up Oscar results from 2015 back. Again, feel free to add in 2016 and 2017. This post is independent of whether or not you think Last Jedi deserves oscars, I just thought it'd be fun to analyse the quoted post. I'm also not saying that awards should be given based on skin colour, they should absolutely go to whoever is the best actress/actor. But based on the history of the oscars, there's either a severe lack of 'non-white' talent (implying issues at the recruitment/training level), or there is a bias against 'non-white' talent (implying racism amongst those in charge of choosing award winners).

References;

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_people
    [2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americans
    [3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Awards
    [4] http://labs.time.com/story/oscars-diversity/

Astamir, MEATMAN and badgerale like this.
  20. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

[​IMG]
    https://www.economist.com/blogs/prospero/2016/01/film-and-race

Get wrecked more @Comissar

I said blacks win more, and they do. Latino gap much more interesting - and also interesting to note that Actress Penelope Cruz and Actor Antonio Banderas, for instance, get reclassified to be "white" instead of Latino - something I think many Latins would be surprised about.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019