Thoughts aboot G'hern (and moga i suppose)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 5amb0, Jun 14, 2017.

1. 5amb0

5amb0 I need me some PIE!

Yeah cool, this probably belongs in SP faction forum but im posting it here.

So g'hern and moga. A couple of original races and one of the original theme decks for poxnora. Seems like g'hern have been getting nerfed and changed a bunch. So much so in fact that they no longer really fit their theme. They were so out of theme (and pretty strong) at one point that people were running only g'hern and wrecking with them. (thus deck limit 1 was introduced, similar to the kanen alphas). They got hit with a ariety of changes, and many of them have become ineffiecient, or super weak, especially in theme (where they have always been intended to have been run).

Anyways, lets start alphabetically:

G'hern birthmother and gift of fertility. Gift of fertility was strong when there was deck limit 2 on birthmothers. now they're a 70 nora 5 speed 2-4 range unit (garbage) and their signature ability only affects them (and mika, but im not gonna get into mika right now). Surge on upgrade #2 and speed to 6 might make them playable.

g'hern general: hes solid. also newer than most g'hern

Isangoma: Used to be the signature healer in moga. Had surge 2-5 range, heal mass overseer. Was very strong, probably OP. Now, heal mass 1? transfer life (sustainer?). As if you'd need oblivion sheild on a 7 damage champ. (who's going to even target it?) resistance magical is a sandbag. Its not runnable in or out of theme. Maybe lose magic resist give it better healing options (or just let mika heal, but this isnt about mika). buff its base damage since it lost surge, or give it surge back.

Juggler: Solid newer g'hern. probably more fire focused as the last couple expansions have been for moga/ g'hern. Solid 5-6 range 10 damage 68 nora champ.

overlord: 68 nora. 5 speed. Why 5 speed on the g'herns? He's going to have trouble getting a good ammount of attacks in to make use of his surge, cant cap several fonts first turn (map dependant, but still between g'hern not having 6 speed, and moga not having 6 speed without a g'hern, this can make for a lot of 5 speed on the first turn. Yeah cool, build a deck creativly to avoid the problem. then get pigeonholed into running the same 5 g'hern everydeck.)

Punisher: Solid enough, good price tag for a semi tanky g'hern who 1v1's okay. and rolls with a crowd of moga decent b/c of unleash. consume is rarely used in my experience. Bravery could probably become surge: moga.

Pyro: fire g'hern. Not a whole lot of synergy with the fire subthemes of SP (what fire subthemes?). no good in theme, probably saw some play in flame surge and flame charge decks for a while until they got boring.

Rager: source of siesm. again 5 speed. i know hes got berserker, so he can only attack once per round. with render and enrage hes still 69 nora. 1 nora more than juggler for litterally a poor berserk melee beater. A buckethead would do more than this g'hern.

razorback: Overseer and surge on upgrade line seems counter intuitive to play in theme. again resistance magical 3. hes pretty much a laterr game tank when you have a few moga out, or hes a cheap pretty tanky source of overseer. Not a whole lot of flavour to him.

Soothsayer: Used to have sunder 2 surge 2 that pacifying ability, and was generally strong and run out of theme. These days, i run 1 in theme because hes ranged, and the best of a terrible lot of ranged g'hern. Surge loyalty multi on U1? loyalty brings him to a whopping 9 damage. surge is solid in theme with lots of moga. multiattack? when he had sunder it made sense, but now its out of place. I have mixed feelings about premonition. It was good against skeezick canoneers when they had power attack.

sustainer: 53 nora overseer transfer life shatter summoned. Hes got a decent tool kit, but why would you ever run isangoma when this guy heals better and does the same damage?

Taskmaster: I forget what this guy used to be. Now hes got drive (solid, but drive was nerfed a while back) and declare target for generating AP. Bastion of will overlaps with tyrant. only overseer on U2. Could probably be made better in U1 was changed (idk to what) overseer was moved to base, and declare target put into U2 with drive and something else (incite rage? too op?)

Thrower: Lost surge? why even run a ranged 8 dmg g'hern without surge? they're g'hern! where is the strength? I know theyse guys used to get whined about a lot, but tossing surge onto U1 in the free slot would make them much better in theme.

traitor: FS has the best melee g'hern. I kid, general if probably better, but these guys have 7 speed and pummel, something that would be nice to see on a SP g'hern.

Tyrant: losing surge 2 really hurt these guys and they never recovered. 9 base damage on a melee beater. 3 ranks of enrage on u1 is boring. bastion of will feels like a sandbag.

Gluttonous overseer: abused when swallow whole was OP with giant fesh of whatever. Now swallow whole got nerfed. again, 5 speed with lethargic? 2x2? consume? i have pies to consume, not moga. still though tough 2 73 nora 58 hp is pretty tanky, but they could use extra speed.

Mogahern destroyer: Strength in numbers huge nerf really hurt this guy bc of his split race. Otherwise though, hes decnt. Would be nice to see upgrades other than ranks of knockback and power attack, but this guy is the decent as a beater with overseer and 2 non basics.

Dirge: hes got overseer. really good. has lots of options for cheap or expensive builds. He is pretty well the benchmark of what all g'hern should be.

OVERALL: These guys were strong run out of theme, got nerfed and became unplayable in or out of theme. Lots of 5 speed which hurts first turn. Lots of ineffiencient/counterintuitive upgrades that don't work well in theme (and g'hern/moga were designed to be played together as a theme). super weak ranged units. (excluding juggler). Deck limit 1 means i can't even double up on the couple g'hern that are okay.

Thats about it. What are your thoughts?

2. poxrooster

poxrooster The Pox Chameleon

Birthmother - Base +1 Speed
    Destroyer - Base (remove Sentry and Unstoppable); UG1 PA2, K2; UG2 Sentry, Unstoppable)
    General - UG1 BM3, Surge: Moga; UG2 Surge G'hern, Overseer Moga
    Isangoma - Base +2 Damage, Confuse Attacker (in place of RM3); UG1 HM2, Dispel
    Juggler - as is
    Overlord - Base Zeal: Speed
    Overseer - Base +1 Speed; UG2 T2, Dictate
    Punisher - Base Overkill: Healing (in place of Consume)
    Pyro - as is
    Rager - Base +1 Speed; UG2 Jump 3, Pounce
    Razorback - Base (remove RM3); UG2 T2, RP3, IM)
    Soothsayer - Base MA1, +1 Damage
    Sustainer - Base +1 Damage; UG2 OM2, Inspire
    Taskmaster - as is
    Thrower - Base +1 Speed
    Tyrant - Base Class Brute (because of description), Fearsome Hunter (in place of Bastion); UG1 Enrage 2, Assault

3. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

Thats a hell of a lot of buffes for one patch , seems like an easy way to make them op. I'd do maybe 3 or 4 buffes at most and see how that turns out

Vash Dragneel and poxrooster like this.
  4. poxrooster

poxrooster The Pox Chameleon

Fair enough.

5. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

Solution= Need more surge

6. MrCharles

MrCharles The King of Potatoes

7. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

Heh a time when I thought patches were common.

Good times

8. MrCharles

MrCharles The King of Potatoes

Patches are common. Commonly done about once every 2 - 1/2 years.

9. Chris

Chris I need me some PIE!

Moga are good already, making all those changes would make them insane.

10. Gnomes

Gnomes Forum Royalty

ive played em a bit over the last weak, and they are actually very strong.

but i do agree that a lot of the moga/ghern have overlapping positions where one is blatantly a better choice. i would like to advocate for a change to some so that we can put them in a sub theme. Cyclops has Bane Shift LOADS of champs, but all of them can see play because they are either close enough in power level so that you could choose one or the other or... they fit a different sub theme such as constructs,siblings,battledrum...ect. so could we do the same with moga / gehern?

As an idea, because moga was the originale trickster theme, could we make a sub theme in moga where they get a buff when they debuff as in... stun, snair, antagonice ect...

another theme in moga would be the chuck units that explode with jugglerand sapper boomvender, ect

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018