We compile a list of overpowered / underpriced champion abilities

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dicem0ney2, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Dicem0ney2

Dicem0ney2 The King of Potatoes

I'll add them to this list if you can convince me.

Majestic

2. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

So did you forget your password?

3. MogaBait

MogaBait I need me some PIE!

The problem with evaluating ability strength is context dependencies that need to be accounted for. Restricting ability analysis to their function in a vacuum makes it difficult to answer not just if the ability is overpowered, underpowered, or balanced, but also what would need to be changed.

Spotting things that may need changed is an easier task than deciding what the most optimal change would be. Those in power to implement proposed changes are far more interested in the latter task being addressed.

Voidtrain likes this.
  4. Voidtrain

Voidtrain I need me some PIE!

It's almost as if a certain notorious poster doesn't think ahead before dropping something like this.

5. Dicem0ney2

Fair enough. I agree with your analysis, but I personally wish they were more willing to make sweeping design changes.

And as far as majestic goes, you could probably shave off literally anything and every single champion which uses it would be fine. Right, @calisk

6. Dicem0ney2

Hey, how come my posts get deleted for being "personal attacks" but people get to post off topic inferring "I don't think before I post"? I also find that offensive, and if I were a moderator, I would at least be consistent and delete his post as well.

I know the answer btw, but that's not the point. The point is you guys don't, and if you want to moderate fairly, you need be consistent for starters.

7. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

I guess if you asked, very few champs with majestic make the best use of it, units like frost queen for example who you never want to be anywhere near melee pays a premium for an ability that rarely is of any use, and while it can protect them for a round or so while engaged the queen is likely doomed th second they are engaged.

speaking strictly from the perspective of ST's majestic champs that have it on base and can't ignore it in the upgrade tree, if they all lost majestic for the cost reduction it would be a net gain at least from the perspective of making units more playable, though they'd be vastly more boring since the units with the ability tend to be all about the majestic and only majestic, leaving them as just hyper efficient vanilla champs.

strictly looking at the ability in a vacuum and not the champs that actually have the ability, it's significant, basically a pseudo pincushion effect but for melee the two abilities have relative parity in that while one gives complete protection from range(better then melee protection IMO), majestic gives half but with other minor debuffes and can be pushed through with some significant effort.

now the spell that gives any unit in the game majestic for a few rounds for 40 nora, that is a different story, I personnally don't think majestic is worth 40n, but on the right champ it sure can be

my general opinion is majestic is appropriately costed on all sources of the ability, such that I don't believe any change should be made, then again there may be one or two specific champs n the game that push it a bit far, but since we are speaking in general terms then I don't see a need for any "broad strokes" change to the ability, actually quite the opposite I think arrow eater should probably cost a bit less but meh.

I believe arrow eater should cost less then it does now mostly due to the direction the game took in comparison to the old ways, back in the day arrow eater effectively shut down 70-80% of most decks, and was usually bypassed with spot removal or AOE attacks like cone, this made it vastly superior to majestic, but the game has kind of balanced out with soko's costing equations, and while AOE's are far less viable, every faction tends to run multiple high end, hyper efficient melee champs that can deal with arrow eater units.

i suspect it could afford to drop a few points in cost.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018