Stephen Hawking dead at 76

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Imba, Mar 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Imba

Imba The King of Potatoes

One of the most exceptional minds in theoretical physics the world has ever known died today at 76. Really pretty bummed about it. Anyone else?

2. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

hehehehe
    "bummed"

3. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

The dude lived like 60 years past his life-expectancy. Don't be bummed. Be happy he had time to give what he did.

4. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

And while we all wallow in our questions.

He finally knows the truth.

RIP

5. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

???
    wtf you talking about? he's dead, that means he is incapable of knowing anything right now.
    if you mean about the questions about wether we are special and if there is an afterlife I can tell you the truth right now.

6. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I honestly don't care what happens after I die. If I am still aware, I'll worry about it then.

MaruXV, BurnPyro and Alakhami like this.
  7. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

ah religion, the santa clause for adults as I personally think of it.

I won't deny anyone their religion as I cannot prove religion to be false any more then I can prove santa clause doesn't exist, nor can I prove to a flat earther that the earth isn't flat, but extraordinary claims requires the burden of truth to be on those making the claim before i'll start to believe in men in the clouds, always watching me, judging if I've been good or bad so I can get a present at the end. maybe someone should try to prove it's true before making such claims.

anyway sad to see hawkins go, a once in a life time existence that is now gone

8. Imba

Wait, how did this thread about the death of stephen hawking somehow turn into a religious debate? Here's the truth: we're all hapless apes running around a giant rock and nobody has a god damn clue about anything. Stop acting like anybody knows what the Firk is happening.

Alakhami and soulmilk like this.
  9. calisk

How wouldn't the death of the most prominent physist not turn into a religious debate.

Also the reason we are better than apes is we have these discussions, discussing our place in the universe is but one of the unique advantages humans have and one Stephen Hawkins loved to do.

Regardless next you'll tell me you are surprised fat people eat cookies

10. ProR2D2

ProR2D2 I need me some PIE!

The fear of God is the beginning of wisdom.

11. calisk

Glad It's not the end of it lol

12. Imba

No.you are confusing productive discussions like "do black holes emit radiation" with one of the most useless circular and unquantifiable arguments mankind has ever participated in. To this point Stephen Hawking's contributions to this waste of breathe of a discussion amounted to two sentences, and as such is just completely irrelevant to this post. It devolves into the basic argument "I'm smarter than you" which is a narcissistic intellectual cess pool Dr Hawking never participated in.

Those who mistakenly believe there is a fundamental incompatibility between science and religion have no understanding of either and do not work in a remotely scientific field and form their opinions from the sidelines. That's not to say I am religious, I am agnostuc, but the matter is dead weight - well know when we get there.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    Alakhami likes this.
  13. calisk

Nobody says religion can't exist...we say prove it.

Claims made must be proven other wise religion is no different then the raving s of a schytzophrenic lunatic raving about being abducted by aliens, I mean it could be true but without proof would you believe him?

More on my first point no real scientist bothers to try to prove religion false, it can't be done well more to the fact their is nothing to argue as no proof is ever brought forward, just feelings and books with no backings.

Geressen likes this.
  14. Imba

I'm not trying to prove religion exists, calisk. As previously stated my own suspicions lean heavily towards the opposite.

What I am saying, as simply now as possible, is two-fold: it is a cognitive error to attempt to justify your view (in either direction) through nn appeal to science, and the question is altogether irrelevant to the topic of this post.

15. calisk

Then you agree with my twice said point, as it is exactly as you said. I'm not trying to prove religion false, it cannot be done.

The discussion on the topic though can ever continue, nothing is ever gained by ignoring an issue, perhaps today is the day someone drops the bomb and proves religion and makes me rethink everything, you don't know.

As for your opinion on irrelevance well That's your opinion, I wasn't the person who started the discussion, nor the person that brought up religion, nor do I think religion is wrong as it cannot be proven wrong.

Regardless you are correct on one thing It's off topic from the OP I guess.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  16. Imba

I'm attempting to be amiable here but you're beginning to lead me to believe that you are deliberately misinterpreting my posts, perhaps to engage in some farcical virtual pissing contest? I'm not sure.

1) I disagree with you when you say it is reasonable for this discussion to exist on a post about the death of Dr. Hawking.
    2) Though you did not start the debate, you were oddly the one who chose to engage me in an argument about the relevance of same. Therefore, I can only assume you hold the opposite view; otherwise, what was the point?

Either way this discussion has become as circular as the one before it and we are now both degrading ourselves by further participation. Good luck and good night.

17. calisk

Well I've always seen good merit in discussing a topic even if people have similar opinions, I often disagree with part of a persons argument while agreeing with them on the whole.

Just because the same conclusion is reached doesn't mean the logic behind it is sound, perhaps my logic is flawed and I can learn something from the debate, thus much could be gained.

Discussion even pointless ones have their own merit.

18. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

guys, GUYS!

I maintain my position that
    A: Stephen Hawking is dead.
    B: dead people are unable to feel or know since they typically register no neural activity indicative of higher thought processes.
    C: since Stephen Hawking is dead he is incapable of knowing.

D: what happens after Sokolov's death ( even if he doesn't care) depends on his insurance and family. likely this will be burial or cremation. he will not be aware (see position B)

E: Religion is bullshit, you cannot prove any of it. therefore it is irrelevant and a giant waste of time and resources.

19. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

You know, these sorts of posts really annoy me because it completely disregards the reasoning behind most peoples choice to follow a religion.

I myself am religious and i dont choose to believe for logical reasons & i will never tell anyone that they should be religious because it's likely correct. The entire point behind religion is allowing people to find comfort in both their life & death. I'd sure as hell prefer to believe that my loved ones who i care about have gone to a better place than are simply rotting in the ground. So to say "prove it or your beliefs mean nothing" (paraphrasing, also basically what i hear a lot) is just a **** thing to say. I'm not in anyones face about it & to try & take away peoples comfort because "it's not proven" sorry but just piss off because that's just not right.

20. calisk

comfort in delusions/belief is fine but religion is not about giving comfort, historically religion is used for power, control and wealth.

let's assume for arguments sake catholics are the "true" religion and we ignore everything good/bad done in the name of that religion and pretend none of that could of happened without that religion existing.

so catolics wins...well one off shoot of them wins let's not bother getting into the multiple dozens of off shoots of that religion and just say one of them wins, every other invalid religion is simply wrong, at best they are blindly leading people to waste a vast majority of their time possibly their entire life so they can feel better about themselves, at worst they are abusing naive/desperate people looking for answers at their worst points in life, taking their money, wasting/taking their lives in foolish misguided believes akin to a cult, potentially leading them to hate/attack outsiders similar to religious wars, give them false values or lead them to attack innocent people like the witch burning of the 1800's to the suicide bombings done by Jihadists.

I'll be frank, religion is too easy of a tool used to manipulate those in desperate situations looking for answers, even if I concede one is right for sake of argument the rest are wrong/inaccurate/lies and are abusing the vast majority of the world, or causing terrible hate to exist dividing human kind.

you are free to believe what you want but when religion effects the world on an every day basis it's not something that can be ignored, not that anything can be done about it, still the discussion goes on

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    Geressen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.