Turn by turn based games are dead?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chickenpox2, Mar 19, 2018.

1. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

shadowera seems nice, but its a completely different game from pox
    i think that the chat magic of pox its also because pox has a 30mins game standard, and a really deep strategy factor that requires high patience. so if you are a patient guy to learn pox, you usually also are mature enough to enjoy some chat about the game.
    plus, its a 10yrs old game, so some friendly bonds have been linked here. i also think that actually recent bad condition of the game had the power to strenghten even more the bonds between the players that decided to stay...

2. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

We talking just card game turn based, or hex based, have been plenty of both produced in the last couple years.

Age of wonders 3 is turn based, and in my opinion did not get nearly enough praise, and I'd argue it was one of the best turn based games in the last couple years and I've played them all.

3. attio26

attio26 Lord of FS

hearthstone's success?

4. Gnomes

Gnomes Forum Royalty

Blizzard could make Tetris into a highly lucrative competitive success. - sok

attio26 and MaruXV like this.
  5. soulmilk

soulmilk I need me some PIE!

Wasn't Tetris huge as a competitive game on facebook just a few years ago?

6. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

if blizzard is good at something, its at creating hype and selling. imagine blizzard with poxnora... a lot less quality probably, but man, so many users, and shiny stuff

7. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

The perception of Blizzard as a quality developer is much more earned than hype. Diablo 2 was released in 2000 and it received its last patch in 2016. Diablo 3 made its returns based on hype, but wasn't actually a fun game on release. Blizzard could easily have left it as a cash cow but instead they have continuously invested in the game and refined the problematic parts so that it is now an actually good game.

There is definitely a fair bit of shiny in their games but it isn't hiding mediocrity.

8. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Diablo 3 had some problems with loot, but honestly the gameplay itself was pretty good for the most part, particularly the visceral polish - killing stuff just felt amazing.

9. super71

I personally never enjoyed any blizzard games but diablo, wow was okay but I feel their were better mmo's at the time.

Everquest
    Runescape, still going, and just moved to mobile. They are innovative and continue to improve and listen to fan feedback. Creat community based content that the community asks for, which no other game developers seem to use at all or effectively.

Overwatch- Hype, a million other games like it that are better and not kiddie.
    Wow- ehh it's okay
    hearthstone- Pay to win, buy the newest expansion and win.
    heroes of the storm- rip off of other lane based games
    start craft- ...... I don't know how it made it to 3, quite possibly the most simplistic strategy game i've ever seen. I don't even categorize it as strategy.

More hype than substance, but I applaud them for not abandoning games as mentioned above. Diablo 3 sucked when it came out, now I still play it time to time. Diablo 3 loot store for real $$ dropped the player base real quick, it was a huge mistake on launch.

10. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

i didn't mean that blizzard has no quality at all. only that , usually, they are pretty good at hype about their game and making people desire shiny stuff. their game are pretty good quality to be honest. they have a target i do not like much, but they are good for sure.

11. Varthas

Varthas I need me some PIE!

Blizzard had amasing games compared to the competition back in the days. Warcraft Orcs and Humans, Starcraft, then Warcraft 2 & 3 then WoW, always breaking grounds with games packed with finetuned mechanics, subtle details, subtle humour and challenges.

Then something changed ever so slightly with Blizzard(2008+) and i think they have lost something on the way since then.

super71 likes this.
  12. bambino

bambino I need me some PIE!

Diablo 3 was the exact moment I lost respect for blizzard, , it was a cash grab and they knew it, heh , they spent more time on the cut scenes then the friggin game,
    My wife is a gamer but not into mp or live competition. Dungeon crawls real time or tbs is her cup of tea. We dont really game together.
    So I preordered 2 copies of D3 , boxed set, maps, huge 8" demon usb , the works,,, im kool like that :) so im like babe,, when it arrives were gonna do the whole game me and you,, she was super stoked! I hate hack n slash games,, mindless and boring imo, but since she likes em. I went in totally open minded, intending to build a powerful char, again. even tho I hate this genre.
    After the 1st session (bout 3-4 hours in) she looks at me and shes like I know u hate it, i kinda laugh and im like why do u say that?
    Yet we both knew.
    I understand its a mindless hack fest,, but sheesh,, thats all ? just killing endless crap , no puzzles, garbage quest if any, everone knew the drops were garbage, in fact they didnt even give you the tools to move forward,, getting 30 lvl drops to face 50 lvl mobs. Then the difficulty settings,, reg , hell , nightmare, whatever they were,, so u do one and start the next one ,fine, But the same exact text from every npc, literally? same exact cutscenes, literally,same ending? ,4x in a row? couldnt change it a bit?y wife is dungeon crawl fanboi,, even then,, a let down for her.
    Million dollar studio, million dollar game and they couldnt change it a little each time you went through? I mean it was meant to be played 4x through ,,and the same thing every time? literally,.
    there was so much more I can go on,,
    fixing a game through the next 2 years doenst cut it for me.
    "yes sir, the car u bought today will be up and running fine in 2 years,, can i have your credit card number?" yea , whatever.

sorry for the rant lol. but the thought of the whole D3 experience, , what a let down,, more so cuz it was blizzard,, I expected more,,, specially with all the hype and hefty price tags.

yea . those were quality blizz games,, u can see how much effort was put in,, and as a consumer I felt like I always got my money worth, cept WoW,, always been an eq man myself,:), still WoW was a well made game,, hence the phenomenal success.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    Varthas likes this.
  13. Varthas

Agreed on all with the above post, ecept that i lost the faith in blizzard a while before D3(when alliance got shamans and horde got paladins in wow where the exact moment i lost the plot), and having missed Diablo 1 & 2 i thought maybe they got Diablo 3 supergood and i bought it, and it couldnt have been said better than above post.

bambino likes this.
  14. bambino

bambino I need me some PIE!

heh they lost me with the panda.
    on another note. I so wish I was into Japanese (video game art) art/animae, those games are pretty in depth, loads of customization and lengthy, in a good way.
    I just cant get past the silly big head big eyes with lil bodies,, everything is just too cutsey too perfect. dont know if I should kill the demons or snuggle them.
    I really need that western style, (which pox has in abundance), the dnd art I grew up off.
    Im sure I prolly missed out on some good games cuz I was turned off by the art.

15. Varthas

For sure it could get a resurgence, infact that would have been easier and more likely than making it thru with a new game in the current climate.

But there are a few points to make first;

One thing was the bad way the PSN community got treated by the PC community here when the new client arrived. I didn`t activly play the first months but i read the forums, and it was a very weird atmosphere here where the PSN was regarded as just cheap meat to please Sony or something like that. And that it was no point in letting them "in to the current meta" or "help them on the way".

Then there was the constant whine about the client itself.

The forum felt like a 2 way whine party, in a time where Poxers should been glad about the new client, and the new PSN community. But those months where completly opposite, those months PoxNora had a genuine chance for growth, but the PC community was to busy focusing on PSN community and everything bad about the client.

Now;

Any chance of a resurgence of the game must include a way for a new beginner to enter the game with a reasonable hope to be able to catch up against the establishment. If Pox just keep growing that would not create the platform for any newcomers. Wich was basicly the same in Wow. For me when i realised that i am not gonna experience 90% of the content of the game, whats the point of playing it? As any newcomer to any game there has to be a potential for competetive play within a few months, and also a somewhat clear path what the game is about in the long term.

16. super71

This game was killed years ago by the nonstop attacks by the "elite players", they retained few new players from the PlayStation release for this exact reason. The toxic environment on these forums is why pox was never a success, top that off with an incompetent developer team besides sok, and no marketing and the reunite with Sony and we have what pox is now.

Pox saw a brief resurgence under geddens revamp, the "elites" again trash talked him everyday and said how imbalanced everything was blah, blah, blah, but that was when pox had its most new members the game felt fresh again.

We underwent all of geddens changes reverted and then the "new client", Sony back into the fold and now pox is dead.

Ultimately I said as soon as Sony got involved again it would be the end of pox, they are a money hungry leech, and always have been. I wish I wasn't wrong this time, but it is what it is.

http://forums.poxnora.com/index.php?threads/18-month-anniversary.29796/#post-403019

http://forums.poxnora.com/index.php...-a-“poxnora”-spinoff.23126/page-2#post-314764

I still believe pox will have a pox 2.0 but nobody currently involved will be apart of the new project.

Also a quote from my boy sok, after I said how terrible Sony was.

"I have my own criticisms having worked for SOE, but you seem to have very little clue about how this works or what SOE did or did not do"

"Also, Sony is not SOE, as has been stated. And yes, Sony owned SOE, but SOE was fairly autonomous and over its lifetime made a ton of money for Sony. SOE was in the red for a long time before Sony gave up on it - and they never did try and change management. Only when SOE was sold was Smed finally ousted."

Sony is not soe, soe just pays Sony all the money they make, Sony just calls the shots for soe, soe is just named Sony online entertainment, but not owned by Sony at all. Similar to how pox is owned by Sony now, and the developers can do nothing because Sony works then like a puppet now.

Sometimes even intelligent people have no common sense

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018