Could they turn the old client back on?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by calisk, Apr 2, 2018.

1. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

For quite awhile the old client ran along side this new client, I'm curious what would be involved in turning it back on.

I assume it would need an update as there was a patch and some new runes.

But if That's all I'm game for the poxocalypse if we can do it in the old client

2. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

For real. I mean, I know the new client is constantly improving and whatever, but I just don't like it. Maybe it's the aesthetics, maybe it's some subtle usability thing, I don't know. But I hate it. I don't care if the old client had little or no room for expanding or improving, it worked better.

poinl likes this.
  3. OriginalG1

OriginalG1 I need me some PIE!

jump to 21 seconds

4. Makorov

Makorov I need me some PIE!

yea Firk it, let pox die

5. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

actually the old client only ran alongside the new 1 in beta. you could only play games with other people also in beta.

They werent actually compatible

6. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

Yes, that was definitely the takeaway from my post.

7. calisk

Ya it stopped once it got released on ps4.

I assume because it wasn't compatible at that point, all said I'd take not being able to match with the 1 ps4 player if That's what it took.

8. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

you wouldnt be able to match with any1 using the new client.

9. calisk

Which if they turned back on the old client would likely only be the 1 ps4 player.

Then again that would need to be seen.

I doubt many use this slow, buggy, barely functioning client by choice, and given a choice would run back to the old client with open arms.

If the game was being supported I'd say stick with it get he new client working, but since That's not the case let's go out with the better of the two.

Bondman007 likes this.
  10. MentalMoles

MentalMoles I need me some PIE!

I'd imagine it has to stay the same as the PS4 version unfortunately.

11. OriginalG1

OriginalG1 I need me some PIE!

The champs move ever so slow in the old client though.

12. calisk

is this serious? it takes 4 times as long to move a unit in the current client, whether it's moving the camera, trying to click on them and it not registering, or the move functionality not even coming up and it getting locked in an attack pattern until you manage to finagale it out of it.

then when you finally can move, they seem to take forever to get there like it's processing the move and can't figure out how to do it.

when I was n practice I could do somewhere in the range of 80-100 moves a turn on the old client with swarm style spam armies, now if I have more then 10 guys i'm running out of time on this client, before I quit mind you I had gotten used to it I could run as many as 15-20 without hitting the clock, but comming back to it is brutal.

everything feels delayed where it was snappy in the old client, combat logs are a mess, effects don't work that used to....it's just frustrating to play with, I know if I have to play with it i'll get used to it....no different then how you get used to an injured leg or drinking diet pepsi, but it would be nice to just play the game at it's best for a little while even if it's best isn't perfect.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    poinl, SPiEkY and OriginalG1 like this.
  13. calisk

btw I realistically know this will never happen lol.

even if the devs only needed to flip a switch nobody is watching these forums to even know we want it flipped, but in reality it would take a lot more then flipping a switch, still I wanted the discussion to be had, if nothing else it might stem the boredom of nothing happening.

14. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Definitely not just a switch.

So during implementation of the new client, a number of changes to the backend was made that basically means the old client simply doesn't work anymore. These backend changes were improvements (that unfortunately doesn't really surface to most end users), would take quite a bit of work to undo, and would also render the PS4/Vita clients non-operational. That said, it's theoretically possible to adjust the old client to work, and I honestly have no idea how much work that'd be. Suffice to say it's unlikely to be ROI positive to do so.

15. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

If there was work being done to bring the old client back, this would probably be relatively easy to replicate on it, actually. I could be wrong though.

But I do agree with you that this is one aspect of the new client that is nice - it takes a bit of getting used to though. Unfortunately, it is overshadowed by the other client issues, particularly as they relate to pathing, etc. so the benefit is basically lost in terms of champion movement speed.

Vash Dragneel and OriginalG1 like this.
  16. devilsrath

devilsrath I need me some PIE!

Shame to see pox in this state. Logged in to see 12 people online and no active games. Not surprised, as me personally, have not logged in since my first impressions of the new client, and how ugly and hard to use it was. You ruined my favorite game.

At least the old client worked. I miss pox.

SPiEkY likes this.
  17. calisk

Different times I logged in around this time and there was 6 or 7 active games going.....nothing like in the past but if you wanted to squeeze in a couple games you could.

18. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

which time did you log in? on weekends and evenings there are always at least 10 matches going everytime. Also a lot of new players are still playing only bots to learn the game, and they don't have yet enough experience and will to get into ranked vs players that played for a lot of years more. We just had a 40+ people tournament, and some of the oldies too come back from time to time. The game's state isnt at best for sure, but i think you had an impression worst than it actually is. Give it a try on EU or US weekend's nights. Even ballballer is back to play some games, Karmavore is coming back in days for some matches, Markoth plays from time to time, Drache and Tiny and Badgerale are pretty active, etc...

19. TheRavager

TheRavager The King of Potatoes

Yeah i logged in the other day, did a /who and genuinely thought it was bugged when i saw 7-8 people in the lobby. I still remember the day pox hit 1000 players online. Unfortunate it has come to this.

The new client has a way of making you feel disconnected from the other players online, there were times id log on just to chat with the guild and watch games, i don't feel i can do that anymore.

zorbot and Makorov like this.
  20. calisk

That's cause you can't really.

Generally speaking the odds of two people looking at a dead chat box at the same time are slim to none.

Which is a shame I used to have a ton of fun just killing time, watching games, and chatting with guild and other observers.

zorbot and Makorov like this.