How much would you pay?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by calisk, Jun 19, 2018.

1. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

So let's pretend pox wasn't dead for a minute.

let's say the game had gone the living card game route with micro expansions how much would you want to pay for something like that?

let's pretend 2 runes per faction every month no mid terms or anything like that, and you get all the runes for 1 flat buy.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  2. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

I’d rather subscribe.

3. calisk

all right what kind of subscription would you want to pay?

never been a fan of subscriptions myself, like the concept of single time payments with the option to continue but the subscription model does have 1 major advantage and that's for new players as thy could jump in and have full access to everything without needing to buy all the micro expansions.

a lot can be said for games that can let new players in easily.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  4. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

How frequent were the expansions when the game wasn't dead?

5. Axeraiser

Axeraiser I need me some PIE!

2-3 months with a midterm in between

6. calisk

Twice to three times as many runes per expansion though

MrCharles and Axeraiser like this.
  7. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

So maybe £5 to £10 a month or something for all the runes, if they released as many as they used to.

MrCharles likes this.
  8. Hierokliff

Hierokliff I need me some PIE!

Probably nothing, i kinda like games that are F2P but where you can waste so much money on MTX for neat extra stuff that dont affect the game. Think the game scares away players with this pay2play even if its alot better now then it was in the start.
    i miss the names on my runes, and the namecalling /taunting abilities, almost as much as i miss the old client

Alakhami and MrCharles like this.
  9. profhulk

profhulk Forum Royalty

10 dollars a month is kind of low for me. I would drop a lot more than that. I used to spend hundreds every expansion just to fund the company, because I liked the game so much. The revamp was kind of a stab in the front for me. Whoever dropped the revamp is dead to me. You know who you are you flaming bag of trash. Giving each rune the same ability and turning all the runes into vanilla pieces of crap. What they did to Neuromancer, General Korsien, and all my favorite runes was a horror show. After that I said never again not one murican cent. You ripped my heart into pieces put it back together as a cheap pinata and then pissed all over it and ripped it apart again. Do this game right and put it back together the way it is supposed to be and I will make it rain. P.S. Savage Tundra is way too over powered that faction can dissapear and I will not shed a tear.

MrCharles likes this.
  10. calisk

well just because it's a subscription model or a living card game model, doesn't mean their wouldn't be a f2p or buy for bonuses model.

since it's online you could perhaps earn skins by playing, or winning tournaments, taunts, premium attack animations, shrine/avatar skins, and many other in game rewards and purchaseable goodies for those that care about that stuff.

if I was running the show premium tournament prizes would be my number 1 focus and would be what I build the in game systems around giving things like free months of subscription, maybe even life time subscription accounts for annual massive tournaments(which could be sold if you want to sell them) along with other god tier asthetic options perhaps even basing story lines around tournament winners and creating runes around the players personas as rewards for those tournaments.

MrCharles likes this.
  11. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

I’d be willing to drop 200-300$ per year on the game if it was populated and handled competently.

soulmilk, MrCharles and xaznsoulx like this.
  12. Raikan

Raikan I need me some PIE!

I agree with Baskitkase—maybe more since I used to buy at least one box each expansion plus assorted specials. Heck, I’ve held off buying into the new expansion because of the uncertainty surrounding the game, but I’m still tempted to do it. At that price, it’s still inexpensive per hour of entertainment.

Also, I agree with the concept of fewer runes per release. Combined with temporary bans on old runes (think a rotation system by which certain expansions are cycled in and out of the pool), this should keep the meta fresh.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    Alakhami likes this.
  13. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

If we were starting over or doing a Pox 2, I would get rid of rarity attached to runes. Runes are runes. Smaller expansions more frequently. Secondly I would make the base game free. Players would have access to all runes at all times.

Monetization would come from two methods. First would be skins. Using the present game as an example, Ironfist Inquisitor would be a base unit. Golden Ironfist Inquisitor would perhaps be a skin earned via ranked play while Inquisitor Isran would be a skin that would be purchasable for something like $10.

The second monetization source would be a established ranked season. Likely 3 months long to go along with the regular Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter season rotation. Participation in a ranked season would cost a small fee. Something like $10. Ranked play would earn rewards based on season performance and final ranking.

MrCharles likes this.
  14. MrCharles

MrCharles The King of Potatoes

$500-$600 a year...roughly 1 weeks worth of what I was shelling out during SOE rise of the OP Bane Shift lol. J/K...probably

15. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

Free-to-play: The way it is now

10$-ish a month: Access to all runes (Minus Limited/reskins/ etc..)

Pay individually for Skins/Special editions/Harbs etc...

Pay Individually Custom Avatar Skins/Re-Names/Custom champion text

16. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

I’ve spent a lot over ten years, but I’d never pay for skins. Happy to pay for access and content.

Bondman007 likes this.
  17. Sealer0

Sealer0 I need me some PIE!

I'd pay a fair bit for the IP, if I had this kind of cash. Different races and factions are incredibly well designed, and there is so much creativity and charm oozing out of them. Look at pincushion or pit dragon. Sure, you can find demonic creatures in other games, but few of them have as much character as this little arrow eater. Forglar Swamp and Shattered Peaks have some of the most fascinating themes and creatures I've ever seen. Each faction has a plethora of interesting beasts that could be interesting enemies in an rpg.

The game itself? I'd be scared to spend any substantial amount of money on that.

18. Sealer0

Sealer0 I need me some PIE!

Interesting idea with pay-for-ranked model. That being said, this kind of monetisation doesn't sound like it would pay the bills.

I like giving all the runes, but I'd say if pox 2 was made, sell it for 20-40 bucks (depending on the amount of polish). Though, as I mentioned elsewhere it would kind of require proper single player content (scenarios, possibly a real campaign - so many ways to make something cool here!), possibly modding tools for making own maps/scenarioes.

The problem with current pox assets is that they are very inflexible. The maps, while beautiful, are hand drawn, so they cannot really be changed, so they would not work for anything other than what they do now. Sprites, even though I love their animations, likely wouldn't work in any other game. Everything is so specifically tailored for the multiplayer-skirmish mode of pox that I can hardly see how it could possibly be used in a different project. Apart from card art. It is glorious.

Unless you mean pox 2.0 as in re-release of current game with different monetization model. But we've been there already, haven't we?

19. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

You are very correct about all of these points. The primary reason the new client took so long is that it had to conform to existing asset requirements... and much of the VFX had to be recoded/fixed (and many haven't been) as well.

20. JaceDragon

JaceDragon I need me some PIE!

^