A toast to the Legends!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bondman007, Jun 7, 2018.

1. LoganMkv

LoganMkv I need me some PIE!

Ok, so now when it's officially dead, should we try to keep the remains of community?

I can make fully functional relatively opensource pox clone eventually once I have enough time, but I don't want to spend too much on it and do the design and assets. Would there be enough people interested in crowdsource?

Or should we just try to motivate Zero to make Longsword deeper, since it's already there, just stalling?

xaznsoulx, Bondman007 and Gnomes like this.
  2. Karmavore

Karmavore MEDIUMALLTIME

You could do that Logan?

3. Karmavore

Karmavore MEDIUMALLTIME

Pretty sure if you could legitimately make something close to PoxNora you'd be promoted to Jesus.

Gnomes likes this.
  4. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

if the company is gone and you don't make any money off it, I think you are largely safe from a dmca take down.

i hope long sword takes off it looks really good.

anyway as for the server remaining up...from my experience with my own servers you pay annually, as such if the company is gone I'd expect we have less then a year left as nobody would be around to pay the server when the time is up.

also...and this is the truly sad part imo, if nobody is around watching the forums, when the day inevitably does come be it this year or 4 years from now pox will close simply without ny form of fan fare, one day it will be here, and the next we will be getting a 404

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    Bondman007 and Fentum like this.
  5. calisk

well get to writing that post mortum soko...while we still have forums to read it lol

6. Bondman007

Bondman007 I need me some PIE!

This is really sad. We all knew this day would come but for it to happen this way is a bit disgraceful. We do need to have a forum or somewhere we can meet to keep in touch with one another. Discord is ok, but personally I'd like a forum somewhere

7. Bondman007

I say go for it Logan. If you can pull it off we can support the effort. Here's a tip though.... COMMUNICATE with the community. Keep us in the loop and it will work!

xaznsoulx likes this.
  8. Bondman007

I have sent e-mails to the general DOG e-mail as well as their PR person. Hopefully, maybe (doubtfully) one of them may respond. We'll see. If I can see if it's even feasible to buy Pox I will let u guys know and see if we can raise the $'s. I'll let u know

9. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

I asked long ago, about finding investors for pox or ponying up the cash myself when I saw the writing in the wall. As many people have stated though it would be irrelevant with the current devs as they are incompetent, excluding Sok. I’m just aggravated that pox shut down right before the player made expansion which would have been great.

Just not a huge market for in depth strategy games like pox anymore, most young kids now have the attention span of a goldfish. The Sony thing, which we all know was a Bane Shift idea, was what ruined pox again. If only somebody suggested that Sony getting involved was a terrible idea sooner.....

10. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

Nowadays, good board games are generating hundreds of thousands, if not millions, on Kickstarter. The crowd on Board Game Geek are mostly older, with a keen interest in more involved games.

To me, Pox has always been a ‘virtual board game’ rather than a video game.

It may be possible to get reasonable funding through the board game community.

11. zenadel

zenadel The King of Potatoes

This game reach its limit. Now it's time for something BETTER, FASTER, STRONGER. Maybe it's time for Pox Nora 2?

12. potatonuts

potatonuts I need me some PIE!

It would be nice if we could somehow attain pox at least for the assets, a lot of the sprites have aged really well and it would be sad to see them go.

We could easily make a new forum on one of those free websites, at least for the time being.

Bondman007 likes this.
  13. calisk

ya the major difference between the board game community as I see it now is in your last statement.

thee most successful board games I'm seeing played in my board game scenes are cooperative, or non-combative.

a non-combative vs game involves winning with little interference directly from opposed players, i.e winning with the largest number of resources, completing task which could potentially be impeded by other players actions.

games like the numerous rail road builders are not that often in direct opposition of other players, they just race to acquire tracks to complete their goals often with no way to stop other players except to build in an area first, settlers of catan it's a race to acquire resources but you have very few options to directly impede opposing players progress.

most board game rpg's are cooperative without dm's, survival games of all ilks all have you cooperating to escape/stop a disease/ defeat the monster

in the realm of direct pvp, very few games are actually thriving.

what pox could of had that may of been useful to attract some of those players would of been 4 players co-op story missions.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  14. Fentum

There are a large number of players of Gloomhaven, and similar who would likely LOVE Pox if they knew abut it. Many players are into the fantasy theme.

15. calisk

I actually got my copy of it

16. zenadel

There is Patreon so lots of peaple may fund new game but I don't think that old, outdated and buggy Poxnora should exist in 2018.
    Forge new team of developers, give new ideas and let the thing happen. I think that many of players would gladly help with testing and balancing game.
    Instead of whinning and all you better tell what you expect from new game. For me new poxnora is 2D but maybe some of you want 3d.
    I would like to see more animations, and some of you want static units that looks more like pawns in chess. I want more choice in upgrades like
    T1STATS/T2SKILLS/T3RACE or something like that. I want just 4 factions KF/IS and UD/FW. No faction bonuses just fonts: GRASS/ROCK/LAVA/SHADOW. I want more SIMPLE and BALANCED game than with HUGE AMOUNT OF EVERYTHING and BUGGY.

17. calisk

i'm curious what would people change about pox's game play cycle to improve it?

no font's?, stage hazards? all card revealed? more runes? less runes? assume skies the limit.

personally, I'd implement side boards.

the concept would be you'd see the opposing shrine and player and be able to swap in a number of runes from your side board before the match starts.

I feel gimmick bg's get a bad rep only because players don't have the option to run counter runes like in most competitive format tcgs.

nobody runs that global detect spell in IS but if you end up against a shrine rush deck I bet that would get sided in every time....facing frost amp maybe swap in some frost immune champs.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  18. zenadel

I made Poxnora 2 thread i General Discussion so you guys can share your thoughts about that.

19. Fentum

Believe it.

20. Phynixe

Phynixe I need me some PIE!

Nobody remembers me. RIP. That's what I get for not playing for so long.

RIP Dorigon.