What will you be playing after Pox closes?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cinder405, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Sealer0

Sealer0 I need me some PIE!

Video games are not chess. They don't last forever.

2. Bondman007

Bondman007 I need me some PIE!

What are you playing that took you a YEAR to win a game?
    Geez...

3. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

4. Sokolov

I can't imagine a world where Chess isn't really played, but it's not trending up.

upload_2018-7-19_18-6-5.png

5. Sokolov

It's interesting note that many things have this trend. This is just how games are - they peak in popularity early on, and slowly decline until it is no longer sustainable.

upload_2018-7-19_18-8-30.png

6. Sokolov

7. Sokolov

upload_2018-7-19_18-9-44.png

badgerale likes this.
  8. Sealer0

I might be remembering it incorrectly, but i'm pretty sure my first win in crawl was somewhere between 9 and 12 months after i started playing. Then again I started playing back when the game had unreasonable OOD spawns, and I played fairly fast so I run through hundreds of characters before getting anywhere meaningful.

9. Sealer0

The rise of digital games and resurgence of quality boardgames certainly doesn't help the popularity of chess.

10. Sealer0

It must have something to do with availability of new games. In many ways, this is a heyday of video games, especially with the rise of indie development scene. We are at an age where almost anyone can learn to code and it is easy to distribute quality products. Games for the most part keep getting better and better and I wonder how long they can keep up their, so far rising, popularity.

This also means that people can and will move on relatively fast to new, fresh projects, or just games which suit them better as they mature. Personally, I find it fascinating.

11. Sokolov

It's also why many of the longer lasting games are TEAM centric or at least leverage social factors well (e.g. MMOs/Social Games) - it's the primary way to keep players from churning: peer pressure!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  12. Sealer0

It's a nice opportunity to make friends with people with similar interests, that's for sure!

Or... erm... enemies.

13. MogaBait

MogaBait I need me some PIE!

Chess.

Though it has been a couple years since I was really active. If anyone wants to join I used to play via chess.com but I'm thinking of switching over to Lichess more frequently.

14. Sokolov

I watch a lot more chess than I play, but I'd be up for some games :)

Varthas likes this.
  15. Mikeyyy

Mikeyyy New Member

I guess I'll play MTG Arena. Quite expensive though, just like MTGO and Paper magic. =/

16. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

Playing Eternal Card Game (that's a full title in case you look it up on steam) atm. Enjoying it quite a lot. Got a referral code in case it catches anyone else's attention (gives freebies).

17. zenadel

zenadel The King of Potatoes

When Pox Nora closes I'll play in...POX NORA 2! :D

18. Varthas

Varthas I need me some PIE!

Since 2004 is not very representative for a several thousand year old game. My dad and some friends really loved chess, and skiing and could skii for hours in to the mountains(a special place it took hours to get there but once there it was shielded for winds between the horseshoe shaped mountain) just to play casual chess with likeminded.

Anyways as dad told me back then, chess was not for everyone, and it didn`t try to be either, and that was the history of chess. But in the subtle background chess breads these great humans like Fischer, Vishy, Kasparov, Karpov, Nakamura, Karjakin, Caruana, Casablanca, etc... And they perform at a superhuman level.

So to me i regard chess these days as more popular than ever before, at least in fans(if one can call us that) view figures. The chess coverage now are absolute great, and i can`t wait for Carlsen - Caruana in Nov.

Well this was not a bash just some thoughts, i am not sure what those statistics are? Number of players? Number of happy players? Number of fans? Numbers of registred active players?

There is the saying, you got lies, damn lies and statistics.

Also the WoW graph, it says a 100 around 2005, is that like a 100%, or a 100 Million, or just a 100 something?

Also can that be right? Was WoW THAT popular just a year after release but went totaly downhill the next 7? Kinda depends i guess on what those 100 means. If i remember PR correctly the game just grew bigger for years, eventualy had tens of millions of players++, wich means i doubt the "100" in statistic is number of players? In 2005 already....

19. Varthas

Varthas I need me some PIE!

I been trying out DayZ game lately, and it is quite a improvement since i played the mod 5-6 years ago.

I also play alittle chess on chess.com app against computer.

Also BF1 but the way modern games are to big for theyre own good with one superexpansion(for a cost) after another, and now game development is more or less left for dead because of the new upcoming BF5.

I don`t know, titles seem to last shorter and shorter, yet being ever greater than before, visualy and content.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
  20. Sokolov

Well, of course not. Chess is also not one game for that span of time either.

This is just Google search trends - sorry I didn't make that clear; I shouldn't assume everything is familiar with that tech.

100 is the peak for ALL terms you input, and everything else is charted relative to it. If you were to put PoxNora up next to Chess, PoxNora would disappear :)

upload_2018-7-25_20-22-43.png

World of Warcraft competes well, on the other hand. In regards to games, a lot of this has to do with competing products, while for many who play Chess seriously, there's basically no competition, which makes it much more of an "immortal" game.