enough is enough!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nepyonisdead, Jul 29, 2018.

1. nepyonisdead

nepyonisdead I need me some PIE!

We have all been lamenting over the death of pox for the last 2 years and we have all contemplated every possible way of reincarnating the game from buying it to redesigning it....etc.

I dont get it though, nothing has changed in 2 years so why all the sudden exodus from pox. If you enjoy the game and the experience who cares about revamps and expansions. The game is still running and the client is still working, and id like to think that as a community we can get together to ban OP Bane Shift like frost amp among ourselves and actually play for fun.

In an ideal world we wouldnt have to deal with this but this is the hand we were dealt so either we can sit here and lament our luck or we can actually get back to doing what we do best and enjoying the ride till the last possible second.

Fentum and Drache77 like this.
  2. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

Not to be "thay guy", but people have been calling pox dead for more than just the last two years. I remember people claiming it to be dead shortly following Sony's acquisition of the game. For the most part, those people were rightfully ignored.

It has, though, started becoming more and more barren around these forums in the last year or so. I'm not gonna go so far as to call it dead just yet, but it certainly seems like it's in its twilight years, without too many ahead.

Sealer0 and nepyonisdead like this.
  3. nepyonisdead

I am just trying to say ((not in a clear way I’ll admit)) that the game is still here and so are we, why not play the game and work with what we have

If a player doesn’t enjoy pox for any reason then that’s absolutely fine and they shouldn’t carry on for the sake of carrying on. However if you do still enjoy pox then the lack of updates / bugs/ other reasons shouldn’t really stop them from logging on and enjoying the game

Guess it’s selfish of me but I do wish the lobby was more alive than it is or has been recently and was hoping this will influence some of community to come back

SPiEkY likes this.
  4. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

Yeah, that's kinda the problem.

Pox was never an extremely popular game, on the level of Hearthstone or League of Legends, but in its heyday it supported and entertained a few thousand players. I'd wager that there's around 20-30 regularly active players currently, which basically means Pox is dead. The fact that nothing is changing all but proves it. If there's no attempts at improvement, no progress, then a game will die.

What you're suggesting, to "enjoy what we have left and ride it out until the last possible second" is basically the same as giving up. In effect, you're no better than those who continually lament the state of the game. Several individuals have expressed interest in trying to revitalize the game, which I honestly believe CAN be done, but if you're content to just sit back and let time have its way, be my guest.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  5. nepyonisdead

quite the opposite mate, I am willing to help in any way required to restore the game but my point is about people who love the game yet dont play it. The client as I understand is only functioning cuz somehow the lil number of players playing regularly keeps it up so if people just sit back we wont even have this

6. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

The Poxnora we all love is the ideal Poxnora, the concept that exists in our minds representing the game as it should be. We love all the aspects that make up the game: the tactical TBS-style, the gorgeous art, the immense variety of rune selection, the creative expression inherent in deck building. But the Poxnora we have now is a hollow shell of the Poxnora we used to know. I get what you're saying, if the people who are still actively playing suddenly decide to quit the servers will probably shut down for good. But at this point, we'd basically be forcing ourselves to play a game we no longer enjoy.

I mean, some days I think about booting up Pox and playing a few games just for old time's sake. But then I think of all the problems with the client, the stale meta, the lack of competition, the numerous bugs, and I just have to ask myself..........why? Why would I put myself through that when there are so many other games I could play that don't have those problems? Yeah, I did love this game once upon a time; it was my absolute favorite hobby that I could spend entire afternoons on. But nowadays I struggle to even get through a single game.

I would totally support a well-made, well-thought out Poxnora 2 project. But the game as it is now simply doesn't hold any appeal for me.

RasielCZ, bambino, Joker and 8 others like this.
  7. devilsrath

devilsrath I need me some PIE!

I'd play pox if they reverted the client

#Oldschoolpoxnora

8. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

I still play Pox as is and really enjoy it.

But I’m from a board game background so don’t need continuous updates.

Main problem is low player base.

Other client and bug stuff is not great but at least playable.

9. devilsrath

devilsrath I need me some PIE!

I played a couple of games yesterday and honestly, the client isn't as bad as it was on launch day (the last time I logged in). If they fixed the difficulties with clicking on runes and the movement of runes, as well as the jittery way things move- It wouldn't be all that bad.

Fentum and nepyonisdead like this.
  10. nepyonisdead

bunch of us came up with a new way to enjoy the game without the OP aspects, we play best of 3's or 5's and the factions are picked in a random fashion by a third party with the rules being simply no (ST , SP and no splits)

give us a shout on discord if u are interested lads, and so far they have been loads of fun

Fentum likes this.
  11. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- The last gift to us should be letting us have access to some "draft" code...that was the last fun thing about pox I can remember

12. Anotherblackman

Anotherblackman I need me some PIE!

The honest to true nail in the coffin was when they nerfed everything to oblivion behind the "75-65 nora cost sweet spot" rule of thumb. Every rune, that every person who played up until that point was both worthless in money and worthless on the battlefield, we THEN had to have some goofy ass council on the forums that wasn't more than a popularity contest. The designers instead of fixing the simple things that we had hoped (I.E. Impenetrable ability vs fairy trickster) they decimated rune after rune, especially the harder to acquire runes, and also made the game immensely linear, the exact thing I visualized when I envisioned the death of poxnora. While many argued to "keep nerfing" many many people thought the game was boring, soulless, bland, they picked the nerf approach to everything and continued with what they called "consolidation" which was really just them dealing with the fact that all faction identity, interesting tactics, and deck formations were murdered and a fractured and abused player base trying its best to be honest with the game. The few decks that did rise were perfect examples of how much of a failure the DoG version as it stifled the one thing that attracted so many players to the same game, i feel: Strategic Variety.

The first "unique combo deck" I made was a grintmaw deck made around a flying earth golem, solely because everything was decimated and also as a joke. This simple combo showed that no effort was put into the games creative aspects to defeat things and also create things as lumbering AND Lethargic was nerfed shortly after its conception because flying was too powerful because the map rotations were also insanely bad as I can recall, a few that were just plain unbalanced and un even, in rotation for no reason other than to self destruct the game.

With their new expansion it was proof that they clipped the cajones off the game as all I can remember is being extremely unimpressed with the quality of stuff made to "purchase," barring one rune that I feel like I unlocked its true potential, much so that the entire game viewed my battlegroup as overpowered, over-tuned, blah blah blah blah. That rune was the Northern Cross Obelisk. Originally made to be a gimmick contest rune since, honestly NO ONE IS EVERY GOING TO ATTACK IT, so with this in mind I set out to make a defensive rune an offensive one.
    Which created the Jangar Bomb deck. After seeing my jangar Arcanist eroded by the nerfs I sought just one more way to relive his glory days and it was through this deck, but it was also his final nail in the coffin as IS'es premier wildcard alternative damage. It would take advantage of 3 mechanics known very well to poxnora being AoE, passive damage and defense bypass. Deploy 1 or 2 jangars as soon as possible. I would deploy 2 of them, deal damage to the relics as close to 1 hp as possible, and then dump all the damage I could into the final frost cone to overkill the relic and deal massive damage and heal my team creating an instant game swing. I originally toted the deck as a proud pioneer of the new runes true power, however many came to the thread I used to notify the community of this combo to whine FOR NERFS! This for me was proof that my biggest fear was coming true for poxnora, people were being less creative and only wanted Copycat, cookie cutter bg's of power instead of experimenting with the endless canvass of hypothetical decks that we had come to know. People were simply copying my combo, exploiting it and moving on to the next gimmick deck. Things were going down and down in power instead of UP in power, something the community I had known forever was NEVER excited about unless it was something insanely strong(DoG version of Ancestral Bear avenger mufo). Something too tanky had become unmovable. Something with lots of reach and damage would carry the game on a simple math numbers level. Any outliers according to the most vocal players were on the cacta crate.

Around since poxnoras conception, Warcry was a lich-pin for many factions, decks and was just a fun mechanic to play or against(except on the stealth garu), and it was decimated because it was "too powerful of a buff" when in the game before DoG took over A Dwarven King was a "eh maybe for cool points" or a "this guy is my last hope to bring me back from decimation "wild card.

Yeah I was a zealot, but the game forced everything that made the game and its factions and split factions flavorful and threw pulverise and huge nora cost sandbags. Then it was more like levers and switches to find a "well its a work in progress" till a update came and snatched it off the dialysis machine and put it it on life support. The game im posting in is poxnora in a Coma. When will it wake up?

Bondman007 likes this.
  13. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

It’s not going to wake up Jabby. The game never had any competent or even creative development since Corpse. It was never going anywhere with people leading it that can’t see out of the fog of their own ineptitude.

Bondman007 likes this.
  14. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

here I thought I was the only one who was still a fan of corpse era

in terms of me personally this is pretty much how I rank the eras, keep in mind I didn't hate any of the era, and I think all of them eventually started to suck for one reason or another(usually when the game was sold/dropped for month's at a time and nothing happened).

1 - octopi
    2 - Corpse
    3 - Soko
    4 - Post SOE Pre Soko(Gedden era)

I rank them as such for the following

Octopi - ton of feature progression since it was fresh and new and the teams were the most knowledgeable about the client.

Corpse - Teams still knowledgeable and many of the most interesting runes ever released in pox nora case out during this era, every expansion/patch was a whirl wind of excitement and rage, followed by an equally interesting period of balance patches and nerfing. say what you will but chaos can be fun.

Gedden era - everything was simplified, no direction, nobody left that could work with the client to any significant factor, pointless attempt to rekindle the magic, tiny expansions, uneven release schedules.

Soko - knowledge of the client and team size at an all time low, still game has never been more balanced, which has added to one of my favorite side methods for playing, i.e limited format, past that not much I can say really, no runes released during soko's era really jumps out to me like they do tings like gale, or mobil, or the titans, or the heroes, or vertical push, etc. nothing feels genre defining but at the same time I have little to complain about here, with what he had soko did all he could.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018