IF we buy PoxNora....(Poll added)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bondman007, Jul 22, 2018.

?

What should we do with PoxNora?

1. Buy and preserve the game as is and attempt to fix it

2. Buy the assets (art and name properties) but re-program the game entirely from scratch

3. Let it die and wait for one of the Pox fans to clone it

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Bondman007

Bondman007 I need me some PIE!

Well, let's look at SOE and DOG epic fails with the franchise. They both failed to impress the Steam crowd which was their direct fault. No free runes, no sales on runes, NOTHING. A F2P system that was a joke. It destroyed SOE. So then DOG gets it and what's their vision? Let's put it on PS4 network... Did ANYONE other than me scream at the computer screen "NOOOO!?" I mean, I knew that was a flop before they even rewrote the client. Please keep in mind, the new client is exactly that. It's new. They wrote it from the ground up. The reason it's shoddy is two parts:
    1) DOG was under duress from Sony to hit time frames (usually ALWAYS the reason a game launches to fast)
    2) DOG needed money fast and after the new client was a failure there was no reason to fix it.
    Exactly the same thing that happened with the two Steam releases.

Do I think this game could be revitalized? Absolutely! With PROPER management this game can survive another 10 years. But it all depends on this community and then ultimately on DOG to see if they will let the fan base have it relatively cheap.

2. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

Can one consider Pox a ‘ Board game’ and just pay xx to have it as it is but in perpetuity.

I’d pay for that.

Then players can run various challenges using subsets of existing runes.

3. zenadel

zenadel The King of Potatoes

I think it must be done too.
    In my opinion in this times we need mobile Pox Nora more than console. Not everybody know english so some translations are necessary.
    You know countries like Japan are big targets with lots of peaple that loves tactic games (see Fire Emblem).
    Maybe new Poxnora can be done by buying art (even only sprites) AND 'core syntax' with all main systems of the game (I assume its done in c++).
    Then devs can base on it to make something fresh and still so much familiar and loved by everybody here.
    You know making something totally new is always risky and it take lot of time (and time is money). With Pox Nora we have nice brand that must be just polished to fully shine. Guys just take this fruit if you have chance and make some good juice from it :D.

4. devilsrath

devilsrath I need me some PIE!

5. jonny

jonny New Member

how much you talking?

6. Bondman007

We don't know yet. Awaiting a response from DOG to see what they say... stay tuned.

7. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

@MaruXV could help with the translation work, since he's a professional translator and knows Japanese fluently.

8. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

i'm not a professional translator but i have a master degree in japanese so I think i could manage something indeed

Bondman007 and xaznsoulx like this.
  9. davisblake0824

davisblake0824 New Member

Oh I love everything I just read! this sounds very good!

10. Gaedel

Gaedel I need me some PIE!

Use the art and avatars and make Android and IPhone apps. Hearthstone did it, why not Poxnora?

EternalSeito likes this.
  11. EternalSeito

EternalSeito The King of Potatoes

I kinda second this idea. The world has moved on to mobile. I honestly find it hard to believe why Pox shouldn't at least consider this route. Maybe the game will not be as complex as it is on PC, but whatever. It will definitely be easier to manage for the devs.

Fentum likes this.
  12. hfok

hfok I need me some PIE!

The fact that they went for PS4 instead of mobile really had me puzzled. My guess would be sony could offer some $ instead of them have no fund and develop a brand new app

13. Bondman007

Absolutely this...
    confirmed by @Sokolov

14. Dalinski

Dalinski The King of Potatoes

I think Pox Nora has the makings of the best Roguelike that has ever been. The art and plethora of potential dungeon obstacles make up for a good proportion of the hard work. Pox could have always benefited from an engaging single player mode that attempts to capture a second potential market. A game mode where you take a single rune into a vast dungeon 99 levels deep completely randomized every time it is entered with the permanent death of the starting rune if one does not choose to back out. A game potentially having great appeal if the reward structure is worthwhile.

The second aspect of this mode is an ongoing table of progression where the invested rune gains levels above and beyond usual limits and acquires more and more abilities randomized from a set of tables making for a unique dungeon delving attempt each effort. Public rankings show the most progressed runes for each single rune making for bragging rights as your Froglok explores even further and deeper.

If Pox Nora can capture another swath of players of a differing mind set it could potentially be very successful.

yuore likes this.
  15. Naeya

Naeya The King of Potatoes

Speaking as someone who grew to like the game BECAUSE of the old runes and who disliked how new runes consistently watered down the feel of each faction, that change alone would kill the game completely for me. Good start.

Speaking as someone who grew to like the game BECAUSE of the old rune art that was suggestive but not explicit, and someone who happens to LIKE sexy fantasy instead of mundane fantasy, that too would kill the game completely for me.

I'd also question whether 11 year olds are the sort of target audience you'd want for tactical TBS games like this.

Dalinski, Bondman007 and Varthas like this.
  16. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

Sometimes you need to give people the things they need, not what they want. But you need to do it in a way that doesn't piss off too many people.

Not that it matters at this point, since its screwed either way - either you make big changes that enable the game to have longevity (reduce the rune numbers/complexity/barrier for entry) and alienate the die hards, or you keep all the accumulated gubbins and the game suffocates under its own obesity.

As I said before, the opportunity has now passed for making the changes the game needed.

Sokolov likes this.
  17. poxrooster

poxrooster The Pox Chameleon

Well, I respect your opinion. But from a business perspective, parents of preteens spend more money on video games than people who like sexy fantasy. So if I lose you and gain 100 of them, I'm okay with that. :)

18. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- I got it ... Fort-Nora!!

19. Mercer Skye

Mercer Skye I need me some PIE!

First and foremost, I'd wager it's safer to just buy the assets, and leave the IP alone. (Granted, you'd only get a a relatively small discount, I'm sure). Pox Nora is nothing more than a name, and one associated with poison now more than anything. Only the people willing to fight for it share the name in anything resembling reverence.

Buy the assets. Hire someone who can make a workable client. Rip out the gaff that doesn't work, keep what does. Let the game limp along while you do all the back end rework. Relaunch the game starting with expansions 1 through Drums of War as a 'core set.' Keep the other expansions in reserve for rotations. Release one every three - four months for a year. At the end of the year, the sets go back into holding. You only get to keep what runes you've paid for. Can use any of those runes in a Legacy format or single player, otherwise, you're stuck with the core set and rotation sets in Ranked Mode. Make the Ranked Pool free to use (Or at least one faction a week) unless you pay to unlock the runes for your collection. For the love of God, don't make any unique runes exclusive. If you start making money, re-skin existing runes for premium (And throw on all the suggestive art you want, 'cause you know tweens aren't going to have the mental capacity to keep with the game long).

yuore likes this.
  20. Indijanac

Indijanac I need me some PIE!

1. There are to much runes. Idea I have is to remove all runes back to first set to prepare this game for new release . What will this do ? Make game more balanced friendly ( less things to go wrong and easy to manage ) a MUCH more appealing and easier for new player to get invested and stay in Pox Nora , and you must get new player cuz us the old guard will not keep this game going alone.
    Now about all the runes people got and now are "removed" . Some of them will be released and some will never be in game again , so about the runes that will get in the game player who owned them before will get them for free with unique skin and for those runes that will be permanently removed players will get legendary or limited tokens that they can use for crafting runes they don't have and are currently released in the game.
    2. Devs need to play the game themselves , you can't make a game balanced and fun from forums and charts . YOU NEED TO PLAY IT !!
    3. Make an android app where you can play Pox Nora same as on PC . We all know how addictive it is to play mobile game and how much time and $ we spend on them so just go mobile.
    4. This is my personal opinion only and some of you really like the guy and what hes "done" to the game but just never let Sokolov ever near this game , maybe as a player but never as a dev . Why ? Hes to tehnical and runes he "balanced" or designs are boring and have no flavor. Just spectate game and see what people play and go in that direction don't destroy unique flavor of faction cuz of "balance" or some other excuse cuz right now when I play a faction it feels like any other faction just different animations.

xaznsoulx likes this.