Pox Nora 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by zenadel, Jul 10, 2018.

1. zenadel

zenadel The King of Potatoes

@dbouya I think U should watch this:
    Capitulator can be found on discord.
    @Cinder405 It's good for fast players, but for slowpokes like me it could be too much (focus on units, fonts, zones, shrines and all in 2 minutes).

Cinder405 likes this.
  2. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

neat, he's come a long pretty quickly

3. Cinder405

Cinder405 I need me some PIE!

I dont think it will take long to move a champion somewhere. And trust me i dont thin mk you will have any issues. I mean technically you have your opponents timer to plan a moce too so it wouldnt be that bad i think.

4. zenadel

zenadel The King of Potatoes

There can be even that preordained relics totally replace fonts. So players MUST to have some of it in deck. But everything is possible in theory and life verify it.
    I think that physical aspect in game like champions, summons, relics should cost nora, and drop nora balls but I don't know how it would affect on gameplay.
    I don't like summon status. I want to see every normal champion with upgrades (even summons). Then summons could be just cheap not so op meat with
    something like 20hp/4-5spd/5dmg, and there would be no need for all this anti-summoning abilities.

Capitulator likes this.
  5. davisblake0824

davisblake0824 New Member

Definitely need a much easier client less bugs ect. thats where it all needs to start the biggest problem to me being a returning player is just the amount of bugs and how crazy the client is right now thats all something that can because SOK you are amazing into the gameplay as we discussed earlier I think we need some sort of mobile version to the game to capture the very wide audience of the mobile gaming community it truly is huge now!

We would have to make quite a few changes to the game and thats where the problem is cause of us that are still here are die hard originals and we love the game just the way it is but the problem is if we want it to be successful another time we have to capture a bigger audience and from my experience everyone loves a great story mode so we need to really put alot of focus into the story mode I know alot will disagree with me and before anyone critiques my grammar punctuation and everything else I am a people person not very grammar oriented so if you dont mind reading this mess its much appreciated haha anyways back to my point, In almost all of the games that are released story is a huge focus I think we need to have a more in depth tutorial like we discussed earlier SOK and I think the only way a mobile version would work is like we said the maps would have to be much smaller, but a huge thing would be we need to focus on story I know alot of do not care but new players love a story mode if they get behind a story mode they can get re pore with the game and fall in love with so we could use the lore thats already been created and design a great story I am sure that with this community we have a story would not be that hard to build!

That leads me to this if we want to capture A wider audience in today's gaming industry we will have to dumb the game down I know most of you will hate this but we have to adapt or the game will just parish simple and plain, what we need to keep is deck building theory crafting is a huge bringer imo that would draw in new players I have always loved the theory crafting aspect in all games I play and so does everyone else because everyone wants to be able to say i did blank such and such and first anyways focus on a beautiful client and a great story with some awesome rewards that will get a player ready have a pretty extended but also fun and engaging tutorial make it apart of the beginning of the story king of how Skyrim starts off you see a video and learn controls but your still technically playing and so on things like that I think we could come up with new abilities maybe people have ideas try to keep it simple and to the point we need more in game text on abilities so when your playing you can read your abilities and know what everything does I was playing today earlier and i had to tab out to ask what Blank did cause there was nothing in game explaining to me what blank meant just a name no other info
    so I think all of these things would be a good start.

6. Mercer Skye

Mercer Skye I need me some PIE!

I'm going to be fairly long-winded I think. I kinda just came back to Pox on whim to see what was what, and I think it's the first time in a long while I genuinely teared up over a video game in a long time. I had no idea Pox had sunk into the state it has.

As far as endeavoring into the theory craft of a Pox 2.0, the very first thought that comes to mind is drop the branding. Nothing escapes the sight of the internet, and Pox Nora may not be dead yet, but it's had a very brutal and not all too pretty history. don't let the past that Pox 1 is mired down with tarnish what 2.0 would be. Call it whatever you want, just don't call it Pox. (As much as that hurts to say, I honestly feel in my heart it's true).

Second. Monetization. It is a horse that's been beaten to death, resurrected, and beaten back to death a thousand times over. If you sell exclusive cards, for the love of Al'mara in the light and Serkan in the dark, do NOT make them unobtainable after they leave the shop. Harbingers, haunted spirit, whatever, collectible card game or whatever it is at heart, only ever let exclusives be re-skins of things that already exist. I don't have any stats to show for it, but I've taken enough psychology to know that's one of the many nails in Pox's coffin. It's one that Whatever the Dev team has called itself over the last decade and change has constantly wanted to fall on its sword over....and over....and over. Doesn't matter if the regular joe version is just a stick figure on a white background, if you create it and allow it in anything that looks like a competitive game mode, it has to be obtainable in some fashion by the entirety of your player base.

Speaking of skins, that's probably one of the easiest things that Pox has never fully embraced over the years to monetize their game. There are some pretty good re-skins for the holidays and other events/achievements, but with so many runes that exist now, I would wager less than 10% of them have alternative art. But It's a great thing 90% of those harbingers are on dead accounts and not on the game board, right?

Speaking of monetizing. Be Free to Play, or be Pay to Progress, but this ugly hodge podge of both I'm sure hasn't been a help. Personally, I'd like to see the next iteration of Pox try going the opposite direction of other card based games over the years. Instead of 'milking' your player base for the next greatest thing, make it available for free off the get go. Hand in hand with that, implement set rotations, Pox knows that's another nail in the coffin. How absurdly small is the design space now? Every single rune ever 'printed' is available for play, which leads straight into another nail, the overwhelming knowledge base one needs to memorize to play this game. Which inherently isn't a bad thing, personally I love the huge pool of everything you could possibly cobble together. But that needs to be in a 'legacy' format that allows you to play and show off your immense collection.

Which circles us back to the point of new expansions being available off the rip. Once a set rotates out, it is only obtainable through purchase or trade (If the game decides to stay TCG over CCG). So competitively, say the most current 5 sets are available, those are all free to use by anyone and everyone that plays in the ranked format. The first ten sets of the game, only obtainable through cash or trade (And can really only trade if you've spent to begin with), and usable only in Legacy or whatever you want to call the format. Or formats, if you want to go the route of having multiple ways to play (Which I personally think is a very good idea).

Multiple formats. Ranked obviously. Some kind of Legacy where you can show off your huge collection. Skirmish (Legacy with small maps? Champions only?) I'm sure we can dig through the forums and find 100 decent to good format ideas. And already, anyone who has made it this far might already be groaning. "You can't break up a small playerbase," except, you probably should. Pox to this day, is still wholly unique in that it's a card game that plays with miniatures on a fairly dynamic game board. Your playerbase is going to be divided from the moment they become interested in the game. Period. Because you're going to have people that want to play "Monopoly", "Risk" and/or "Trouble" with their fancy fantasy pieces. Look at all the arguments about game duration over the years. The static playerbase has always been divided on how complex and lengthy the matches should be. Might as well make that a thing off the start.

Speaking of those game pieces. Either require they be leveled, and allow deeper customization, or do away with the leveling period, and leave the small variation you can do now. This half hitched middle-ground we have now is just punishment for buying new stuff. The leveling (cp) system made perfect sense in the first iteration of Pox where you could customize your units on a grander scale. Now, you can change two things....wtf do we still have to level champions? Monetization on tokens? Personally, the only time I've ever felt some kind of robbed 'wasting' money on this game was buying tokens to skip the pain of leveling a new champion so I could change out one ability. My humble opinion, still do the 'compromise' way of leveling the units, in Ranked play, units are fixed (If you're going to 'E-sports' it up and make a truly competitive mode, do it all the way). You always know an Elven Archer is an Elven Archer, and Ice Faerie is an Ice Faerie. In your other modes, allow the customization to run wild. That Elven Archer can be just a little peashooter or it can be a tactical nuke.

Game maps. They need to be standardized for ranked play. OR, you need to be able to queue up with more than one deck. Take your pick. Perfect world might even implement both. Queue up two decks, pick which one you use depending on the map that loads. Now, don't take that 'standardized' word the wrong way. They don't all have to look the same, they just need to be the same size, you can still have chasms and varied elevation and lava, and whatever. OR you need to be able to field a force appropriate for the map size.

Speaking of the map dynamic. Regardless of the back end problems you adopt switching it up, hex-board > grid. It's just easier to understand, since a good bit of the game depends on positioning and distance. Games like duelyst get away with a grid map because of how fast paced the game is. positioning is nothing more than a small blip in how the game works.

I could easily keep going, I'm sure. But I'll just add a TLDR and pause here.

TLDR:
    1. Don't call it Pox (Name is practically poison now)
    2. Don't sell Cards(Runes, tiles, whatever) that no one else can ever get ever
    3. Do sell skins for the unit pieces (And by all means, make them exclusive and shiny)
    4. Set rotations for ranked play
    5. Rotate out the old sets and sell those for cash, let the new sets be readily available
    -Feeds the collector bug in some, allows people to stay 'relevant' in the competitive format
    6. Champion Dynamic. Either small customization without leveling, or bring back old customization (Or some form of both)
    7. Maps. You need a good mix of "Ranked" and 'For fun' maps. But whatever you create for Ranked needs to be some kind of standardized
    8. Hex grid for the maps. Positioning is a huge strategic point of the game, make it as intuitive as you can.

Nite2kill likes this.
  7. rutslane

rutslane The King of Potatoes

Woffleet likes this.
  8. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

9. Mercer Skye

Mercer Skye I need me some PIE!

10. Vorian

Vorian I need me some PIE!

How about a futuristic version of Pox?

Woffleet likes this.
  11. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

How about an old version that people play?

12. Isendel

Isendel The King of Potatoes

In case someone could need a database, here you'll find a set of MongoDB's collections representing poxnora runes.

If needed, I can complete collections with magics, equips and relics.

Let me know :)

13. Voidtrain

Voidtrain I need me some PIE!

Too bad it's abandonware