Buying PoxNora...The (NOT SO) Final Post->Read!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bondman007, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Bondman007

Bondman007 I need me some PIE!

Not to spoil anything, but @Gainer900 has some great ideas for a Pox squeal/clone (which is the reason for @decondor semi-random post above). I am sure he will post a thread about it as he gets closer to some definitive progress. Stay tuned...hopefully we will have "something" to fall back on.

And BTW, is it me or does it really feel like the devs missed a golden opportunity with Pox? I mean, instead of that "overhaul" Gedden did and instead of the lousy PS4 attempt, I mean seriously, they could have done so much with what they had instead of the avenue they went. Just my 2 cents though, and that's all it's worth.

I really feel they gave up on it way to fast...

2. decondor

decondor I need me some PIE!

Golden opportunity is a bit over stated I think, a lot of the art etc is quite cool I think and is for sure a basis for some game.
    But it cannot keep existing as it does now. Also not sure how fun it is to work on a game that didn't survive a few revives. I would want to work on something else.

Something with a blockchain hype could do wonders but it aint easy to do good.(Good as in the vision of proper decentralized systems)

Bondman007 likes this.
  3. Schmacko

Schmacko I need me some PIE!

Do you really need to buy the IP? Like someone else said most of the races are pretty generic at heart (frog people, elves, dwarves, lizard people, etc). I doubt the poxnora brand really matters to anyone outside the old playerbase, which obviously isn't enough in of itself for the game to survive. The only thing that seems really valuable would be all the old art, because commissioning fantasy art can be expensive.

4. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

If you wanted to say, use Ruubgaal and Magnus in their entirety, then you'd need the IP, but if you made a new game with your own Undead Bat People that fought on tactical grid, no one would bat an eye, of course.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    Gnomes likes this.
  5. IronStylus

IronStylus I need me some PIE!

1. good morning (hello this year?)
    2. what is IP so i can read a bit with understanding.
    3. I can't get into my old mailbox, is there any other way of account recovering? i swear i had many runes left

6. IronStylus

IronStylus I need me some PIE!

and THE ultimate question: IS POXNORA ALIVE?

7. Varthas

Varthas I need me some PIE!

IP equals intellectual property

8. Varthas

Varthas I need me some PIE!

Is Pox alive? Yes it is on life support and just about alive, left for dead is another fitting term perhaps?

9. Schmacko

Schmacko I need me some PIE!

Life support implies support. Id say it is more like DOG is now a zombie company and the game is running on fumes. Whenever those fumes run out everything shuts down.

That being said you can still log on and play.

Bondman007 likes this.
  10. Bondman007

I would say this is about as accurate as a description that exists.

11. TheNidhogg

TheNidhogg I need me some PIE!

Has anyone saved all the sprites and art somewhere? Is it illegal to host it on a site somewhere for posterity? List of abilities and actual full runes would be sweet too.

Also if we do get anywhere with a valuation of the IP I would also be interested in contributing.

xaznsoulx likes this.
  12. Bondman007

First off, great to hear from ya @TheNidhogg !

To answer your questions, technically, using sprites, art, and any other IP without DOG's consent would be illegal. However, at this stage, all of the DOG employees/founders are M.I.A. so I would seriously doubt they would ever catch a use of that nature.
    And as far as a valuation of where things stand, pretty much the same place from when I started this snipe hunt; There has been no response from DOG (save one useless corporate response) and it appears for the most part there is no DOG (except the husk that remains ie. it is still an actual company but there is no one running it or representing it.)

13. Poxjedi

Poxjedi I need me some PIE!

Dox them and msg irl.

14. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

Who let the DOGs out?

Bondman007 and SPiEkY like this.
  15. aseryen

aseryen I need me some PIE!

Someone linked some .json data a while ago that has a full list of abilities/conditions/status effects.

Not sure if there is accessibility to the sprites in their entirety, only thing I havent fully archived. Been manually saving each sprite as I get time.

16. Poxpoints

Poxpoints I need me some PIE!

fogandsteel, aseryen and Gnomes like this.
  17. Capitulator

Capitulator I need me some PIE!

Those links... are handy. I actually wrote a script to crawl the site and download all the champion/ability/mechanic info. On the plus side it is simple to grab all the sprites this way as well.
    @aseryen I put a list of the base sprites for all champions and relics at https://www.dropbox.com/s/4pbu7xmp75fl4g8/sprites.txt?dl=0
    There are also attack, damaged, deploy etc sprites but I've no idea where those are kept.

fogandsteel, aseryen and Gnomes like this.
  18. JaceDragon

JaceDragon I need me some PIE!

With these data, is it possible to run a private server of pox? Like it happens for WoW for example, without breaking any legals terms or laws

19. LoganMkv

LoganMkv I need me some PIE!

It should be possible to get already mapped unity animations from the client with Devx Unpacker. Or raw spritesheets with any unity/java unpacker - there should be at very least a legacy java lib in the old client to slice them, maybe Sok or someone else knows details.
    But I really doubt that sprites are worth salvaging

Gnomes likes this.
  20. dbouya

dbouya I need me some PIE!

With access to all the abilities in some sort of database, it might be possible to do something like play poxnora on tabletop simulator, potentially without any rules enforcement, with the players just assigning actions as they see fit, assuming both players know the rules. Tabletop Simulator is full of mods that use IP the modder doesn't own, and if no one complains it stays up, and if someone complains it gets taken down. This ends up meaning people are mostly playing fantasy flight games because fantasy flight doesn't care to complain. I don't have the technical expertise to do something like this, but I do play games on tabletop simulator regularly and if poxnora were on there I'm sure I'd play it a few times.